FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-23 8:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Perry's Smorgy on Kuhio has a new name. I'll have to go and see if this carving and the others survived the changeover.

A recent visitor of the "Hello Kitty" style Japanese buffet notes two tiki remain in 2012.

Tiki Mack's 286 Beachwalk.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-03-29 23:54 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-25 3:05 pm   Permalink

A new Tiki book - YAHOO and thanks!

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-25 4:09 pm   Permalink

Just picked up this great book, at the Big K(mart) in Kailua-Kona! It's lovely!

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-25 4:53 pm   Permalink

Still enjoying the ton of pictures Phil...hope this is just the first in a series...wink wink!!! Review posted.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-26 09:48 am   Permalink

Aloha!

Mahalo Inkylouise! Thanks for the review on Amazon, VampiressRN.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-28 11:32 am   Permalink

Captain Zack's Bar at the International Market Place in 2004. This place was below the shell of the Trader Vic's.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 11:47 pm   Permalink

One of two 1939 panels by Margaret Blasingame at the Board of Water Supply on Beretania Street portray the legend of Kane and Kanaloa. The gods roamed the land together finding fresh water springs for the people. Created as a W.P.A. project, it was restored a few years ago. Also worth seeing is the Juliette May Fraser mural inside the main office.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-03 20:54 ]

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-01 7:39 pm   Permalink

Phil,

When will your book be avail at Oceanic Arts in Whitteir, Ca. ??

Tiki Meca Mainland.........

BB

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-01 11:51 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2010-12-01 19:39, RevBambooBen wrote:

When will your book be avail at Oceanic Arts in Whittier, Ca. ??

Tiki Mecca Mainland...

Good question Ben. I'd really be honored if O.A. would stock them. Some of Bob and Leroy's work is in it.

Where else would be good places to have them on the Mainland? Wacko Soap in L.A? The Mai-Kai giftshop? I don't get to the mainland often, so I don't know.

Retailers, bookstores, and restaurant giftshops that would like to have copies can contact Bess Press directly at
Customerservice@BessPress.com. The Phone number is (808) 734-7159 ext 10.

Rapa Nui representatives at Kualoa Beach in 2000 after the Hokulea canoe's successful trip to Easter Island. It was a very cool ceremony. I was inspired and traveled to Rapa Nui in 2001.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-01 23:54 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 8:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

A few posts ago in this thread, I mentioned the 1930's Juliette May Fraser (1887-1983) mural inside the Board of Water Supply. While I was looking for the photograph of the statue at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel hidden in the overgrown folliage, I came across my photo of the mural It's titled "Pure Water—Man's Greatest Need."

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 12:42 pm   Permalink

Phil, if you can gain entry into the closed Bowl-O-Drome on Eisenberg next to Old Stadium park, you'll find an awesome 50s era kitsch mural on the mauka interior wall depicting monarchy having outdoors fun. It's priceless, needs to be documented, and will no doubt be lost soon. Just to bowl in a classic bobby sox time-machine alley was a real trip, too bad it will go, more narrow-vision loss.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 11:43 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2010-12-04 12:42, msteeln wrote:
Phil, if you can gain entry into the closed Bowl-O-Drome on Eisenberg next to Old Stadium park, you'll find an awesome 50s era kitsch mural on the mauka interior wall depicting monarchy having outdoors fun. It's priceless, needs to be documented, and will no doubt be lost soon. Just to bowl in a classic bobby sox time-machine alley was a real trip, too bad it will go, more narrow-vision loss.

Yeah, I live near there...

That one's been on my list for quite a while now. I've never been to gain entry tried a few times over the last years. I'm inspired and will try again on Monday.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 11:10 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Another mural, a more contemporary one at the Deep End Bar in the Maile Ohana Sky Court Hotel off of Kuhio Avenue. You have to try their rum based 'Tree Smacker' cocktail when you go there. Three will have you smacking trees on the walk home... Happy hour 'til 6:30. Divey prices, colorful customers...I do like it. If you stay at the hotel, ask the front desk for a 1/2 price off drinks coupon...

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 10:44 pm   Permalink

Outtake from my book Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs. After the Tahitian Lanai and the Waikikian became a construction / storage lot. After I took the shots of the last Edward M. Brownlee main lobby carving (as shown in my book,) it disappeared. This statue was left in it's place. Where is the old work now and also where is the homage statue. Additionally who carved it?

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-07 1:32 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Just a quick update!

Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photgraphs is available on
Http://Amazon.com and there are five nice reviews! If you'd like to write one that would be much appreciated.

Http://Besspress.com is having a 30% off sale until the end of the month of December not only on my book, but all of their other titles.

I'm taking some TC people on a Waikiki Tiki wiki wiki walking tour later in the day. That's always fun! Mahalo Nui Loa!

Styrofoam Tiki at the Town and Country Surf Shop at Ward Center around 2002. They said it was part of a Quicksilver promotion some years before...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation