FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-10 9:38 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Let me do a quick reset here. I wrote a book published by Bess Press called "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs." I'm posting many outtakes here on this thread; bad photos, fuzzy photos, alternate angles, deleted items, new things, pieces that just didn't fit into the finished book as of deadline... I'm enjoying it. I hope you are pleased by my photographs. I hope you will consider adding 'Waikiki Tiki' to your collection.

Phillip

Marquesas image - Oil on wood, kiosk door at Polynesian Cultural Center courtyard, Laie - HI

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-12 9:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I got a really nice review in the
in today's Honolulu Star Advertiser I am stoked!

"WAIKIKI TIKI ART, HISTORY AND PHOTOGRAPHS," by Phillip S. Roberts (Bess Press, $22.95)

Don't let the compact size fool you. This hugely enjoyable ride through our mutated cultural landscape, as defined by carved wooden tiki statues, probably has more cool dope per page than any other Hawaii book we can think of.

Tikis are the icons, the graven images of tiki culture, born of that sunset lounge experience of exotic music, flaming torches, grass walls, bizarre, fruity rum-based drinks and black velvet paintings of nubile maidens glowing in the dark. Watching over it all are the statues hewn from wood, eyes bulging, mouths grimacing the kitschy kids of Hawaii's sacred kii by way of Easter Island and Hollywood.

Kii are sacred; tiki are commercial props, and Phillips' mania for recording the cultural grab bag of tiki production seems to know no bounds, ranging from enormous wooden pillars for architectural purposes to tiny reproductions. Henry Kapono, in a charming introduction, reveals that one of his first toys was a tiki key-chain dangler with glass eyes.

This is one of those instant nostalgia books that maniacally delves into a previously overlooked corner of pop mythology. It covers the era when Waikiki evolved from a beach with some hotels to a gloriously overcooked homage to romanticized South Pacific fantasies. And it's already fading as Waikiki becomes more international and generic.

We like this book a lot.

They also did a Sidebar interview with me

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-13 05:47 am   Permalink

Congrats on that nice review and that's a great angle for your thread.

I like to listen to "alternate takes" sometimes published in new CD releases of old jazz music and this is kind of like that.

It will be interesting to see the finished book after seeing the stuff that didn't make it in it. I think its great that you published a book on this subject and that it puts it in a historical context. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-13 10:38 pm   Permalink

Vintage Kodakchrome of this canoe prow was just a wee bit too blurry to use in the book, but there is a Sheraton Hotel brochure in Waikiki Tiki showing the double headed canoe in action in the 1960's.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-13 11:02 pm   Permalink

Phillip Roberts,

I am enjoying your outtakes. That looks like the same boat prow from the Hawaiian Village brochure I have.

Sabu's got some more photos of that boat too.

Mrs. Dustycajun got a BIG hint to tell Santa to put a copy of the Waikiki Tiki book in my stocking this year, can't wait for Christmas!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-13 11:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-13 23:02, Dustycajun wrote:
Phillip Roberts,

I am enjoying your outtakes. That looks like the same boat prow from the Hawaiian Village brochure I have.

DC

I have a theory that the beachboys who ran that concession, owned the boat. and moved locales depending on who paid better...

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-14 1:36 pm   Permalink

US Army Museum of the Pacific. I used a different shot pointing out the 6 toed Barefoot Bar sign. Here's the small collection in the bar. Swizzles, some nice Tahitian Lanai glass Mai Tai buckets, a Trader Vic plate, Al Harrington Mug, Primo Can, etc...

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 7:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-14 13:36, Phillip Roberts wrote:

US Army Museum of the Pacific. I used a different shot pointing out the 6 toed Barefoot Bar sign. Here's the small collection in the bar. Swizzles, some nice Tahitian Lanai glass Mai Tai buckets, a Trader Vic plate, Al Harrington Mug, Primo Can, etc...

wait, wait, wait... where exactly are the "nice Tahitian Lanai glass Mai Tai buckets"? I'm having trouble picking them out in this photo...

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 9:40 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

The 3 "Tahitian Lanai" glass buckets are not easy to see in the photo but they are just to the right of the cash register. One is holding the swizzles. They are simple; red paint with the maiden from the matchbook and the name of the bar as far as I remember. They might only have the maiden. Someone here must have one and hopefully will post it. Same size and shape as the classic 'Don Ho Suck 'em up' bucket. I do not own one or I would have used it in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs.

As a point of interest, I have been unsuccessful in my MANY efforts over the years to trade for one of the three I have because no matter what I offered...

"This is a museum, sir. That glass is government property and not for trade. You could donate your item(s) to the museum, but there is no guarantee we'd use it in the exhibit. There's be forms and authentication issues..."

I DO urge that you visit the museum when in Waikiki. The kids really liked seeing guns and tanks. There are replica feather masks and Hawaiian weapons. Loads of info. You will love the Rocky Jensen sculptures.

Plus, as a bonus, my book IS available at the U.S. Army Museum of the Pacific at Battery Randolph giftshop. The guy that runs it is VERY cool.

Moving on..

Today's outtake is a side view of the maori gable at the now closed Hawaiian Hut

Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-16 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-15 21:40, Phillip Roberts wrote:
I DO urge that you visit the museum when in Waikiki. The kids really liked seeing guns and tanks. There are replica feather masks and Hawaiian weapons. Loads of info. You will love the Rocky Jensen sculptures.

I agree wholly, the museum is very interesting and FREE admission too. WooHooo

The Rocky Jensen sculptures are VERY beautiful,does anyone have information or photos of any others done by him?

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-16 7:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The guy that runs it is VERY cool.

Was that Dorian Travers? I apprenticed under him as a rigger aboard the Falls Of Clyde in '80 & '81.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-16 8:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-16 19:18, msteeln wrote:
Was that Dorian Travers?

No, the guy that runs the giftshop at the Army museum is named Sheldon.

Rocky Jensen article. No pics of his work, just him.

The petroglyph painted tiles at the Seabreeze apartments didn't make the final cut. The building has these artistic tiles stretching all the way to the top of the building. I'd need a better lens to capture the full building. It is all the way at the end of the Kalakaua Avenue, near Kapiolani Park.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-16 10:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-12 21:58, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

I got a really nice review in the in today's Honolulu Star Advertiser I am stoked!

"WAIKIKI TIKI ART, HISTORY AND PHOTOGRAPHS," by Phillip S. Roberts (Bess Press, $22.95)

Don't let the compact size fool you. This hugely enjoyable ride through our mutated cultural landscape, as defined by carved wooden tiki statues, probably has more cool dope per page than any other Hawaii book we can think of.

Tikis are the icons, the graven images of tiki culture, born of that sunset lounge experience of exotic music, flaming torches, grass walls, bizarre, fruity rum-based drinks and black velvet paintings of nubile maidens glowing in the dark. Watching over it all are the statues hewn from wood, eyes bulging, mouths grimacing the kitschy kids of Hawaii's sacred kii by way of Easter Island and Hollywood.

Kii are sacred; tiki are commercial props, and Phillips' mania for recording the cultural grab bag of tiki production seems to know no bounds, ranging from enormous wooden pillars for architectural purposes to tiny reproductions. Henry Kapono, in a charming introduction, reveals that one of his first toys was a tiki key-chain dangler with glass eyes.

This is one of those instant nostalgia books that maniacally delves into a previously overlooked corner of pop mythology. It covers the era when Waikiki evolved from a beach with some hotels to a gloriously overcooked homage to romanticized South Pacific fantasies. And it's already fading as Waikiki becomes more international and generic.

We like this book a lot.

They also did a Sidebar interview with me

Nice!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-17 10:28 am   Permalink

Aloha,

ooh! My friend just posted a cool picture of me and Arthur Lyman from October 1999 at The Kaimana Beach New Otani Hotel. Arthur did lunchtime shows there on Fridays, drank Vodka Cranberry, and talked a lot about golf during his breaks...

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-17 11:26 am   Permalink

Great shot of a healthy Atta! That table immediately to his left was mine whenever I went to the NO and this gracious guy was the best. Slyly said he hated doing the bird calls, and that he didn't get a dime from all the re-released LP/CDs... He told me he had to go into the hospital the last week I saw him, and he didn't win that battle, but I got a nice recording of that final performance to always remind what a special man he was.
A friend who loves him followed up on Atta's suggestion to bring a list of requests the next time they visited and surprised him by printing and presenting a list so long it rolled out like giant toilet paper across the floor, Atta's jaw dropped! He actually played a couple of them.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation