FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-29 07:53 am   Permalink

Mahalo. I am glad I got to see it in its full splendor, but, alas.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-30 10:49 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2010-07-13 23:27, Zeta wrote:
Could you show us some more pages? If I say please?

Zeta,

Bess Press has heard your request and posted a few more pages
here

Chris,

Yes, you are lucky to have been to the "Hawaiian Hut." It is unfortunate that the last of the great Spencecliff showrooms is gone. It had a good 39 year run! There are plenty of photographs of it in "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs."

Another outtake I didn't get in to the book. Taken about 1962, the exact location in Hawaii remains a mystery but I think it's Ulu Mau Village in Heeia.

Phillip

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-07-30 22:57 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-03 10:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Chris,

Yes, you are lucky to have been to the "Hawaiian Hut." It is unfortunate that the last of the great Spencecliff showrooms is gone. It had a good 39 year run! There are plenty of photographs of it in "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs."

Was this the last one?
Were they all on Hawaii?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-04 4:38 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2010-08-03 22:06, christiki295 wrote:
Was this the last one? Were they all on Hawaii?

Yes, the Hawaiian Hut was the last of the Spencecliff Corporation's restaurants. Most were located in Hawaii, and You know many of the names of these showrooms. (The Tahitian Lanai, Trader Vic's-Hawaii, Coco's Calabash bar, and Tiki Tops in Kaneohe were all run by them.) Many others (Tahiti by 6, the South Seas Villages, Top's Clown Room, the Hob Nob, etc.) are lesser known whom the Weaver brothers oversaw dining operations for. (Cliff was his brother, hence SPENCE CLIFF btw.) In 1956, their restaurants were serving around 10,000 meals a day grossing around 5 Million dollars annually.

Spence Weaver decorated many (not all) of his restaurants with relics collected from Tahiti and his travels in the South Pacific. He continued to work with Airlines to promote South Seas Tourism.

As the Queen's Surf and Barefoot Bar's lease was lost (and the grounds condemmed by the city to make way for Queen's Beach,) the company decided to create a show room at the Ala Moana Hotel for Travana's troupe of Polynesian entertainers and the other staff from the restaurant. This was the last project for the company that started with 6 hot dog wagons called Swanky-Franky in 1939. Before the Spencecliff Corporation sold their dining empire to a Japanese investment group in 1986, he sold the Hawaiian Hut to his loyal employees. Spence the restauranteur retired to the "Les Tropiques Hotel" he'd bought from Donn Beach in 1957.

There is a rumoured book coming about the Corporation by Spence's daughter Chantel...

Here's another out-take from "Waikiki Tiki."

Bamboo Ben came to Oahu on vacation long ago, and mentioned to me that a tiki was in the service passageway below the Royal Hawaiian and The Sheraton Waikiki Hotels. I bribed a worker $10 bux to take me to the trash compactor where it stood... The photo didn't really come out well so I didn't use it in the book, but there it is in 2004 (ish?).

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-10 3:35 pm   Permalink

Foam Idol at the Pan Pacific Festival Stage, 2009.

I posted this on the Tahitian Lanai thread in locating Tiki...

Oil on Velvet once hung at the Tahitian Lanai. This currently resides in Gecko's collection. I couldn't find a place for it in the book. Too much other good stuff to fit in.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-08-13 13:25 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-15 11:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

About a month and a half before October 1st and the release of my book. I'm very excited to share "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs."

Lava Rock Cafe patio. International Market Place. Waikiki. 2009 Alternate shot.

Moai planter at the Yacht Harbor Towers Apartments on Ala Moana Boulevard. There are over 19 of these abstract moai-styled planters installed here.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-08-15 23:24 ]

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 5:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-15 23:23, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

About a month and a half before October 1st and the release of my book. I'm very excited to share "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs."

Is this still Tiki in the International Market Place still there?

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-17 4:11 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Yes, the "Lava Rock Cafe" is still active at the International Market Place.

Steel Doors at the Waipuna Apartments on Ena Road in Waikiki. I'd meant to use this in Waikiki Tiki, but forgot to include it in the final layout.

Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-17 5:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-16 17:17, christiki295 wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-08-15 23:23, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

Is this still Tiki in the International Market Place still there?

That's funny! I made those stupid counters! Just some cheapo asian knockoffs. I used to help run that bar. There is a cool counter inside that I built - nicer tikis, bamboo and mahogany.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-22 2:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-17 17:52, Mo-Eye wrote:
That's funny! I made those stupid counters!

Aloha,

Max, I knew you were involved with the Lava Rock Cafe.

GM Bill Tobin at the "Holokai Grill and Bar" with the "Waka" canoe salad bar at the opening. The restaurant lasted a bit over a year and now houses a Cheeseburger. The New Zealand inspired canoe was carved by the Tikimaster team overseen by Jerome Cordier. A nice bit of work, it apparently sits in their warehouse in Kailua.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-23 9:33 pm   Permalink

Phil:

Other than Polynesian Cultural Center, Tiki's and La Mariana, is there any other Waikiki locale that has a high percentage of TIPSY (TIkis Per Square Yard)?

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-26 3:26 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

35 days until release of my book. Thanks to those that pre-ordered. You can still do so
Here.
Quote:

On 2010-08-23 21:33, christiki295 wrote:
Phil:

Other than Polynesian Cultural Center, Tiki's and La Mariana, is there any other Waikiki locale that has a high percentage of TIPSY (TIkis Per Square Yard)?

Yes there is. Btw, the P.C.C. (Laie) and La Mariana (Sand Island) are considered outside of Waikiki. For instance...

Jukebox speaker covered in soft padding is made to look like a moai. Quite inventive if you ask me.

Drawing on a wall!

A wall upstairs near the restrooms

Here are just a few images that I didn't use in "Waikiki Tiki." I used others of Arnold's Beach Bar on Saratoga Road. It's a cheap dive bar I'll usually take visitors to. They really amped up their collection in the last few years, and there are a few pages of some highlights of it in "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs."

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-08-26 15:26 ]

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 08:43 am   Permalink

Arnold's Beach Bar
http://www.arnoldswaikiki.com

Good addition.

I was thinking Tiki's Bar & Grill might now be the third most Tiki, but I will have to check our Arnold's.
Hopefully, 2011!

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 8:30 pm   Permalink

My first glimpse at a review copy... First time I've held "Waikiki Tiki."

Very exciting!!

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 10:11 pm   Permalink

Hey! Congrats Phillip

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation