FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-27 4:20 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Yes Rumballs, it's been too long... Come visit the islands soon!

Quote:

On 2011-01-24 18:53, msteeln wrote:
Quote:
Yup, I was at the goodwill.

Beretania St. I believe... Havn't been for ages but it used to be killer. Some guy actually found The Queen's music stand there a few years back, in mint cond. for about $100, wants millions for it. Ah, timing!

Actually, I know that guy and some of the story...

It was (supposedly) Princess Kaiulani's music stand with the peacock on the front and bought from the Wailaie Goodwill. I actually saw it earlier in the morning marked at $400. He was there later in the day and got it for less... Apparently it had been mistakenly donated by a private club here. They are less than thrilled about it and offered to buy it back for quite a pretty penny but not as much as he wanted. There is a problem getting it appraised and authenticated but the club is not helping... but yes, he wants millions for it...

There was a newspaper story about it but I can't find it...

Anyhow,

The Ali'i Kai Catamaran stern's idol is showing some age.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-01-27 16:20 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-27 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-27 16:20, Phillip Roberts wrote:
It was (supposedly) Princess Kaiulani's music stand.
Apparently it had been mistakenly donated by a private club here.

Ah, Waialae GW. Man, too bad you didn't jump, but really, who knew?! This guy was just hoping and got lucky.
It came from The Honolulu Club, they were clearing out things and it went too, somebody goofed big time, but then again, how could it be sitting anywhere to be in such risk? Very odd.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-28 12:03 pm   Permalink

On 2011-01-27 20:04, msteeln wrote:
Quote:

Very odd.

Yup!

I used a different shot of this statue at Tropical Lamp and Shade in Waikiki Tiki!

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei Tiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-02 4:34 pm   Permalink

Aloha Phillip,

I just received my autographed copy of Waikiki Tiki in the mail ... what an AWESOME little book!!! Well put together and has warmed up, what has otherwise been another cold winter day!

Much Mahalo from the Great White North.

View Profile of Hanalei Tiki Send a personal message to Hanalei Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gilligan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-04 9:29 pm   Permalink

Phillip!

Amazing book! Although, I must say my heart sank when it broke the news to me of the Hawaiiana's closing in 09. Ouch! I had an amazing stay there with my wife and daughter in August of 08.

and to comment on the tikis of The International Marketplace, these are hands down my favorite of the Waikiki Tikis (Brownlee's?):

If I'm ever back in the islands I would love to take you up on a tour!

Aloha!

View Profile of Gilligan Send a personal message to Gilligan  Email Gilligan Goto the website of Gilligan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 7:45 pm   Permalink

Here's a fabulous collection of postcards showing Oahu in all it's once famous glory http://www.flickr.com/photos/kamaaina56/233907041/in/photostream/

It wasn't a dream...

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-06 3:49 pm   Permalink

Kamaaina56 has some beautiful pics on Flickr. I've noticed those of the Waikikian/Tahitian Lanai there before.
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-07 09:19 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-02-04 21:29, Gilligan wrote:
Phillip! Amazing book! If I'm ever back in the islands I would love to take you up on a tour!

Thanks! I'm glad that "Waikiki Tiki" is being well received. Those original Edward M. Brownlee carvings are indeed sweeeet! They were re-painted in about 2005.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-09 7:10 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Hey a blogger likes the book!

http://www.everettpotter.com/2011/02/letter-from-hawaii-talking-tiki/

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-16 07:42 am   Permalink

Aloha!

"Waikiki Tiki" is NOW available in ABC stores in Waikiki!!! Right across from the Tiki figurines in most stores!

and...

I Shall GO to Hukilau!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-16 08:20 am   Permalink

Congratulations Phillip. That's HUGE !!

Now your average Waikiki tourist in addition to picking up beer, sunscreen, and spam musabi, can also learn about Canlis Broiler and Mick Brownlee. This is also going to foster a greater appreciation for the historical significance of the nearby IMP.

Along with your book in the Bishop museum gift shop, you're spreading the word on both ends.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-16 11:58 am   Permalink

On the other hand...

Phillip, you know I'm a fan of your work but here's my concern about the expanded availability of the book. Based on it's convenient size and catchy graphics (was that part of your marketing strategy? ), I can see many tourists casually purchasing "Waikiki Tiki" either as a good read for the beach or as gift to bring back to the mainland.

Now while this definitely will "spread the faith" to the neophytes, I fear it may add to the misperception that mid-century Tiki-style actually originated in Hawaii. This is very similar to how the average person thinks the Mai Tai was invented in Hawaii.

Don't take this as a criticism so much as an observation. I know your objective was to graphically capture a part of Tiki history that was still relatively undocumented, rather than re-cover the work in "Book of Tiki".

This might be a good problem to have though. The proliferation of your book will only initiate more awareness and conversation about Tiki-style in mainstream America.

The coolest thing to me about Tiki-style was that it originated on the mainland (inspired by "Hawaii"). The surreal thing about Hawaii Tiki-style was that it was this same fabricated aesthetic come back full circle. It had to meet the expectations of mid-century tourists weaned on mainland Tiki. This is the irony that we on Tiki Central need to share and communicate with the general public.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-02-16 12:49 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 2:24 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-02-16 11:58, JOHN-O wrote:
I know your objective was to graphically capture a part of Tiki history that was still relatively undocumented.

Well actually, my objective was to write the most beautiful book about Waikiki ever.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-02-19 14:25 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 6:24 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

The husk of the Trader Vic's at the International Market Place around 2001

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-22 11:43 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I have been working very hard on my presentation for The Hukilau, so pleaase excuse me if I have been some what distracted. I promise something VERY special! More details soon.

Don Ho's Island Grill -- Aloha Tower Marketplace

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation