FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-07 11:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-06 07:30, christiki295 wrote:

Who knew?

I did. There are two Moai there and a number of other carvings. At least there were last time I checked.

Waikiki Tiki was not a winner at last night's awards. More proof of a corrupt academy...

Sweet Daddy posted this shot in Bilge around 2003... See the tiki on the right? Totally different than the ones in Waikiki Tiki (about 167 pages in.) dated 1976. Were they changed every year? Must investigate...

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-04-07 01:26 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-07 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Waikiki Tiki was not a winner at last night's awards.

Sure it was, it'll always be a winner, it just didn't get a silly award.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-07 4:51 pm   Permalink

Man, colossal lack of judgement in the cancellation of your seminar! It is truly pertinent to the Tiki movement, and extremely informative and fun. That walking tour you took us (Waitiki 7) on changed my whole outlook on Waikiki! Your knowledge is impressive, and the subject matter is, of course, of prime interest to this crowd. The photos in your book are great, and your documentation is impeccable.

Very much looking forward to reconnecting with you this next week, and the Hawaiian Brian's show will be awesome!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-08 08:01 am   Permalink

I too am disappointed that this presentation was canceled. It's a topic that has not been shared at Hukilau but has significant relevance. There would not have been a better venue than Hukilau (or Oasis) to present this material.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-09 2:20 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Thanks guys. Well spoken. See you soon, Tim. I am looking forward to the Waitiki 7. Freddie, you should come to the show...

This Outtake is from upstairs at Arnold's

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-10 10:55 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I got a very nice phone call today. I'll elaborate more later, but things are happening...

This outtake is in the floor of the Tropicaina Cafe in Punaluu. Good food too.

I'll be at the Hawaiian Brian's show of The Waitiki 7. I'm looking forward to it. I'll have a few copies of Waikiki Tiki with me if anyone would like to get an autographed one...

Missing User65958
Unregistered User
Posted: 2011-05-11 11:33 am   Permalink

This is great! My step-dad would totally dig this!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-12 10:09 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2011-05-11 11:33, lovelyrita wrote:
This is great! My step-dad would totally dig this!

Thank you Rita...

Here's a deal you can use to get it for him.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-13 11:29 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Hawaii Book and Music festival is this weekend. I'll be there signing books both days after 1PM at the Bess Press booth. I'd like to meet Sarah Vowell who will be in attendance. I enjoyed reading her book 'Unfamilar Fishes' and suggest it if you have not read it yet. It is a history of the independent Hawaiian nation before the overthrow and annexation.

Anyway...

Today's outtake from Waikiki Tiki is from the new Hard Rock Cafe - Honolulu on Beachwalk Street where the old 'Hula Hut' used to stand. It's not as Tiki-filled as the old one was, but here is this sweet short board...

By the way, to date, NO confirmed photo's of the interior of the 'Hula Hut' (Sven) have surfaced... I am told by oldtimers there were Tiki flanking the stage and am still searching... DC? Anyone?

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-14 11:15 am   Permalink

I don't recall anyone here ever mentioning the notorious Tiki Torch bar which once stood during the late 80s in all it's faux fauna exterior and interior glory at 'the gateway to Waikiki'. City officials were constantly enraged at having a strip bar welcoming, I guess ANYBODY. It was always a hoot, tho I somehow don't recall seeing any tiki...

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-15 11:44 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-05-14 11:15, msteeln wrote:
I don't recall anyone here ever mentioning the notorious Tiki Torch bar which once stood during the late 80s in all it's faux fauna exterior and interior glory at 'the gateway to Waikiki'. City officials were constantly enraged at having a strip bar welcoming, I guess ANYBODY. It was always a hoot, tho I somehow don't recall seeing any tiki...

I have heard some people talk in vague terms about some place like this, but I have no first hand information. I guess this means a trip to the microfilm archives at the library tomorrow. I don't imagine they would have advertised much, if at all.

No one's mentioned Hamburger Mary's on Kuhio either with their lauhala covered walls. I vaguely remember seeing some Tiki there in the early 1990's.

Kitchen entry at the Breaker's Restaurant in Haleiwa Town

I did go to the Hawaii Book and Music festival today and heard Sarah Vowell's talk. I found it interesting. I gave her a copy of "Waikiki Tiki."

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 07:24 am   Permalink

Phillip:

Are you going to expand to any other islands for your next installment in what I hope will be a multi-part series?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 12:42 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2011-05-15 23:44, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,
Quote:
I have heard some people talk in vague terms about some place like this, I don't imagine they would have advertised much, if at all.

They didn't need to, you'll probably find plenty of Advertiser stories of the City's consternations at the time. 'TT bar' was located at the Northern tip of Fort DeRussy at Kalakaua Ave., a vacant lot/car rental now, I think. It was a rockin' little scene back then on the edge of Waikiki with Gussie L'mours, The Hideaway, Eggs n Things, right across the street from the Torch. The last of the REALLY good town times.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 2:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I spoke to Sam Kapu, Jr. This morning and he had some interesting memories of the Tiki Torch bar too... I'll ask Harry B. Soria the next time I see him too. He is often a great source of information as well. The radio guys I come in contact with at work always have a tidbit to offer... I will still go and take a look at the microfilms and see what I can dig up... It's what I do.

Chris to answer your question, yes. It is in the planning stages.

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 3:51 pm   Permalink

mmmmm microfilm....
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation