FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-16 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2011-05-15 23:44, Phillip Roberts wrote:
No one's mentioned Hamburger Mary's on Kuhio either with their lauhala covered walls. I vaguely remember seeing some Tiki there in the early 1990's.

Here's a pic of Hamburger Mary's I scanned from a book a long time ago.

I didn't spot any tiki in this shot. But I was kinda curious since then if it still exists, and also what else they had for decor.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 6:41 pm   Permalink

Used to be nextdoor to the original Hulas on Kuhio. As notorious as the Torch, but for serving opposite persuasions. Moved nearer to Kap. Park a decade ago.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 7:24 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Actually Hulas moved. Hamburger Mary's just closed. It was about the same time that they bulldozed Canlis in the late 90's and built Nike Town.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 8:17 pm   Permalink

Oh yes, it's all gone, along with the 1936 Kuhio Theater across the street, replaced by Nike Town, which now stands vacant. Where once stood character and personality, now is a greedy ghost town.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 9:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-16 14:53, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

I spoke to Sam Kapu, Jr. This morning and he had some interesting memories of the Tiki Torch bar too... I'll ask Harry B. Soria the next time I see him too. He is often a great source of information as well. The radio guys I come in contact with at work always have a tidbit to offer... I will still go and take a look at the microfilms and see what I can dig up... It's what I do.

Chris to answer your question, yes. It is in the planning stages.

Mahalo!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-18 7:16 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Hawaii artist Dennis Matthewson enjoys his copy of Waikiki Tiki

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-19 10:35 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Here's another outtake...

Freaky Tiki Optical's newest shop in the Outrigger Waikiki.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 12:56 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-05-16 15:51, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
mmmmm microfilm....
~kele

Microfilm is good, but can occasionally be scratchy...

It depends what your looking at and how often the reel's been viewed previously. Plus the scan machine at the library takes a long time to master... How did we ever do it in the pre-computer age?

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-29 01:24 am   Permalink

Aloha,

I can't quite remember the name of this place. Around 2008, it was downtown in that triangular building that they tore down to be a parking lot at King near Bishop and lasted about six months. They had live music upstairs and thai food.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 6:27 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Shopping one afternoon at Fort Street Mall.

Things are well. I had an vibrant talk with Sam Kapu, Jr. this morning and he pointed me in an interesting direction...

If you haven't gotten a copy of my book, "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" it is on Amazon. It can also be had at the Bess Press website

Be sure to look at some of the other titles like...

"Arts and Crafts of Micronesia"

I enjoyed reading that one a great deal and it helped me identify a warclub I own.

best,

Phillip

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-05-31 18:29 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 10:11 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Good things coming... Please watch this thread for an announcement soon.

In the meantime...another outtake from Waikiki Tiki...

Outside of Don Ho's Island Grill at the Aloha Tower Market Place

I didn't use this shot in the book, (nor the photograph I'd intended to use) for some reason. I did use some shots of the carvings at the bar which I liked better and told a story of their own. This is an alternative angle of Aloha Tower, empty and looking maulka. I'll have to look for the other one, but it shows Japanese visitors examining the tiki quite closely.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-03 3:55 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

A different angle of the Travana carved bench that was outside of the Hawaiian Hut.

Darn, I miss that place. Hard to believe it's been 2 years since it's closed.

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-03 5:12 pm   Permalink

The Hut was fun, last show I saw there was a ripping set by the great Commander Cody, w/Dave Zirbel on steel.

BTW, PR, the Aku Bone is pau.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 3:22 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-06-03 17:12, msteeln wrote:
BTW, the Aku Bone is pau.

Oh, that is unfortunate, but at least it had a nice run.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-06 8:27 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

If you've been waiting for a good excuse to get a copy of Waikiki Tiki, here are 10...

10. It's the perfect size to take along anywhere this summer and jammed to the gills with Tiki
photographs you won't see anywhere else. Over 3000 Tiki are crammed into 263 pages.

9. "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs" is quite well reviewed by Tiki Magazine, the
Honolulu Star-Advertiser, and the on-line world.

8. It fills a big gap in your Tiki book collection and will look great on your coffee table or in your book shelf. Plus,
you were going to get it "...sometime soon anyway..."

7. It's made out of recycled paper so in a way you are doing something good for the environment.

6. It's still got that "fresh book smell" and is still a first edition printing.

5. I'd be happy to sign it for you. If not now, later.

4. Waikiki Tiki costs less than a movie night for 2 and will last longer.

3. There is a great deal of information in there about Waikiki, Hawaii and Tiki. This book was written for you.

2. .
The discount coupon still works even though I won't be presenting my seminar at Hukilau. Enter "Tiki25"
at checkout when ordering from the Bess Press website. 25% off and FREE Shipping. That's 17 bucks
and change. You got more than that in your couch cushions.

1. I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation