FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-20 9:31 pm   Permalink

aloha,

Mister Johnson had great pleasure in showing me this coral carving...

...Said the teeth were from his dogs.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-07-20 21:34 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 6:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Mister Johnson shows us one of his coral carvings. He's a really nice guy.

Tickets go on sale soon for "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii." One night only, 9/4/11 at Don the Beachcomber's in Huntington Beach. I'm stoked!

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-26 7:04 pm   Permalink

Aloha! Coming to LA!!! Got a great show planned. lots a friends helping out! more details on the events page. 9/4/11 Don the BEACHCOMBER. Quite excited!

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 3:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

This outtake is one of the 300+ images in
"A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii." I keep adding little details and spice to the presentation full of more (mostly not used in the book) great eye candy. If you are near LA 9/4/11, I'd love to see you at Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach. Many good friends are helping out with this event, and it is going to be loads fun.

Polynesian Cultural Center circa 1968 as the Tourist's camera saw it that day

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 10:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Things are great! The event at Don the Beachcomber is a GO for September 4th! It's looking like it will be a lively discussion and quite well attended. There are limited seats available.

The book is available at
Amazon

There are even some new reviews there. I appreciate that! A few more of the locations pictured in the book have ceased to exist and that's the history I was trying to document.

Cheeseburger, Waikiki on Kalakaua is a vast improvement from the Sizzler restaurant that was there before.

Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-02 2:32 pm   Permalink

It took awhile to get my copy of Waikiki Tiki but it was worth the wait! Great book. The first copy got lost to the Tiki Mail Gods and I received an empty box with a note from the USPS stating the box was found empty...um yeah. BUT...even before that when I inquired as to the expected arival date of my first book, David Stewart at Bess Press discovered that the tracking number showed it was still out in the ether somewhere. David immediately sent me another and it arrived in one Tikilisious piece.
Mahalos Kavika (David) for the help. I think everyone should have this book in their Tiki room.
Tiki Slob...

View Profile of Tiki Slob Send a personal message to Tiki Slob  Email Tiki Slob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 09:48 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-08-02 14:32, Tiki Slob wrote:
It took awhile to get my copy of Waikiki Tiki but it was worth the wait! Great book. The first copy got lost to the Tiki Mail Gods. I think everyone should have this book in their Tiki room.

Mahalo for the kind words about Waikiki Tiki, TS!

Dave is a great guy! I actually spoke to him for a second yesterday and he didn't mention it. I'll show him your post!

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 10:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Wow. Really buzy, working on the presentation for Don the Beachcomber on 9/4/11 and making it better. I am quite looking forward to it and seeing some great friends. It's going to be quite a special night!

You've seen the Marquesan at the Blaisdale Arena if you bought "Waikiki Tiki." Here's another bit of Iconography there, a Hawaiian warrior's helmet!

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 11:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Blaisdale Arena

Formerly the Honolulu International Center, site of Elvis' famous internationally live broadcasted concert (the first ever) '72, and Jimi's last American concert in '70. Not pro recorded, one of his best w/Billy/Mitch.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 5:04 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-08-09 23:02, msteeln wrote:
Quote:
Blaisdale Arena

Formerly the Honolulu International Center

Yes, true. The HIC hosted that event and many others.

A front yard in Palolo Valley

Things are going well... Getting ready for the LA Trip. Spending loads of time in the library scannning microfilm...and adding little bits to my presentation,
A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii. It's going to be quite fun!! Meet me at Don's and get a book signed!

Ah, I love the smell of microfilm in the morning!

Get the book from Amazon here

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-12 17:28 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 9:30 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Trader Vic

I hear tickets are going fast for the "Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii." That's a good thing! I'm really quite excited to be in LA over the labor day weekend to present some really sweet and unseen content.

I wish I was going to Tiki Oasis! However, it's not possible...but let me post an image in support of OTTO! Also Good Luck SWANKY! Knock 'em dead like I know you will.

These won't be used in my presentation at Don the Beachcomber on September 4th...

I couldn't get the quality that I demand out of these on the endless reels of microfilm I've been reading in preparation for my talk. Some scans work, some don't.

Mariachi performers at the Ilikai Hotel about 1967. Mexico and Tiki seem to mix fine!

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-21 01:51 am   Permalink

2 great authors, one great bar...

Phillip and Jeff "BeachBum" Berry at La Mariana

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 8:07 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

Another swell scan I couldn't get to look better, so it doesn't make the slideshow.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-26 10:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Another wonderful scan that cannot be cleaned up to my standards at this time...

From the Queen's Surf Gardens and moved to the Hawaiian Hut.

I WILL deliver everything I have promised at Don The Beachcomber in Huntington Beach for the first time EVER (and perhaps the only time,) on September 4, 2011. Incredible eyecandy, sharp commentary, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, YOU will HEAR for yourself the actual, verified, VOICE OF DONN "Don the Beachcomber" BEACH at his 1957-8 Sunday Feast of the Islands LUAU.

I challenge ANYONE ELSE in the WORLD to provide this exact AUDIO. Come to my event and ONLY you will hear him speak. I played this clip for Jeff "Beachbum" Berry and he was FLOORED.

To hear Donn's voice, (OUR HERO) and the genesis of all of this Tiki stuff we NOW know, respect, and love, is quite AMAZINGLY INCREDIBLE. I don't really know how else to tell you HOW IMPORTANT these few minutes of AUDIO are from a historical standpoint. You must be at this Event.

'nuff said,

best,

Phillip

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 10:19 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Hope you are coming to the show if you are in LA over the labor day weekend!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation