FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-28 8:02 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I sure like the green one they got Hiltiki! I'll be adding those to my quite focused collection soon. I was just invited to the Tiki's Grill and Bar 9th Anniversary party next month!!

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-30 10:09 am   Permalink

Aloha,

I got a new quote from Jeff "Beachbum" Berry about "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs"

"Page after page of Hawaiian eye candy ... thanks to Phillip S. Roberts, now the armchair Tiki traveler can finally take that island vacation through time."

Mahalo Jeff!

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-02 3:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

One Year Old Today!!

That was my first glimpse! Mahalo Nui LOA to everyone at Tiki Central!

Bess Press website

Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-10-02 4:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-23 18:41, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Actually we saw SOMETHING truly AMAZING.

As we passed the Hawaiiana Hotel, workmen were re-installing a Tiki into it's original hole. They had found it in a back storage room. It is now proudly again standing at the entrance of the hotel (Now being used for student housing, btw).

They also gave us some wood bits shaved from the base to make it fit. I'm not home, but when I get back I will post a picture.

Also btw, Tiki's Grill and Bar where I am right now, has TWO new SWEET MUGS.

Best,

Phillip

I'm still in the process of editing those pix, Phillip, but I should have them up soon. As soon as I stepped off the plane in L.A. I was buried under a tsunami of work.

I didn't realize that "Pele's Wrath" mug at Tiki's was a new one. Glad one of them came home with me (not my video but you can see this bubbling beauty of a cocktail in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8ONI-1JgI)

Mahalo again for giving up your afternoon to take me on your Tiki Trek. A lot of great sites!

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-03 12:36 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-10-02 16:49, Tobor64 wrote:
Mahalo again for giving up your afternoon to take me on your Tiki Trek. A lot of great sites!

No worries. Was a LOT of Fun! And there's more for your next trip that we just didn't get around too. I'm having some computer problems at home or I'd have posted them by now...

[ This Message was edited by: phillip roberts 2011-10-07 10:12 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-07 12:13 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Here's another shot of the huge metal Tiki at 'The Canoe House,' at the Ilikai Hotel circa 1968!

I'll be giving some more tours later in the month! If you are coming to town, I'd be happy to meet up with you!

Get the Book at Amazon!

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-08 1:13 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Here are the new mugs from Tiki's Grill in situ...

I think they are done by a company called Specialty Glass...

Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 11:29 am   Permalink

Thought this was a great shot from our tiki tour. Thanks again Phillip!

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-12 12:41 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-10-11 11:29, Koitiki wrote:
Thought this was a great shot from our tiki tour.

Thanks Julie!

I've always wondered if that stone/cement Maori-influenced piece at the International Market Place might be an Eli Headley work. It used to be by the banyan tree at the Food Court, but was moved after the root growth threatened to tip it over. Ben?

On another subject, we've lost another... Freddie saw an ad on Craigslist with this photo and a price on the carving that had once been the 'Honalua Surf' shop at the Outrigger. It had spent it's last few years in the beach access alley and you can see it in Waikiki Tiki... Also, I have no idea who the model is...

I checked it out Sunday, and GONE, Daddy GONE.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-12 1:07 pm   Permalink

Man that is one bad photoshoped pic

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-14 01:46 am   Permalink

That one should be in Geckos' yard by this weekend....all is not lost....yet! ) Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-19 3:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-10-14 01:46, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
That one should be in Geckos' yard by this weekend....all is not lost....yet!

Well, that is good news. Still it's one less I get to show on tours !
Get a copy of Waikiki Tiki from Amazon

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-10-19 15:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-10-19 15:49 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-23 4:27 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

So, I'm browsing the internet and I come across these great shots of a Tiki shop of this JGKlein dad's photos from 1959!

And this cool shot of Hilo in 1959

From a 1963 English shop window ceramic display...What's that under the table?

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-10-28 09:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-10-28 09:43 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-28 10:11 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Someone bought a book yesterday and even though I don't know exactly who, I just want to say thanks!

TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-29 4:27 pm   Permalink

I just picked up my copy late Thursday afternoon at Hilo Hattie - 700 N. Nimitz, enroute to HNL and headed back to the mainland/ East Coast. A delightful read and marvelous photographs...kept me glued in wonderment all the way home!

Nice work Phillip, ALOHA!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation