FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-31 12:51 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Mahalo Nui Loa!! Nice comments! Next time you are in town, please drop me a line and we'll meet up for a drink!

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-05 16:50 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-11-01 07:26 am   Permalink

Just booked a long overdue trip to Waikiki next March, and will definitely bring my book with me!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-03 09:47 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Excellent! looking forward to it! I'm off to La Mariana tonight with visitors. Thursday night is the best night to go because of the Tahitian Lanai singers!

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-05 8:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Sigh...

Pacific Business News

GraniteWahine

Posted: 2011-11-05 11:22 pm   Permalink

DISLIKE!!!

That monstrosity is going to blend in like a red dress at a funeral. I'm going to have to make extra sure I spend some time there in December and really soak it up.

View Profile of GraniteWahine Send a personal message to GraniteWahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-09 01:20 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-11-05 23:22, GraniteWahine wrote:
DISLIKE!!!

That monstrosity is going to blend in like a red dress at a funeral. I'm going to have to make extra sure I spend some time there in December and really soak it up.

I took a journalist around the International Market Place ealier in the week and he showed me some thing swell I hadn't seen before. Because of APEC, I have not gotten back to document it, but will soon. Looking forward to your arrival.

best.

Phillip

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-09 01:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-11 10:41 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-12 11:02 am   Permalink

Aloha!

Moped is a good way to get around!

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-14 8:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-10-02 16:49, Tobor64 wrote:
I'm still in the process of editing those pix, Phillip, but I should have them up soon. As soon as I stepped off the plane in L.A. I was buried under a tsunami of work.

Mahalo again for giving up your afternoon to take me on your Tiki Trek. A lot of great sites!

Here is the restored Tiki at the Hawaiiana. I'm sure Tabor64 has others, but I wanted to post this shot before I forgot. What a superb moment it was to see it going back in!!

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-16 8:39 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Even though the Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs is out and doing quite well, there is always more research to be done...

I was looking over some old files in my hard drive and while they weren't the quality I was looking for to use in my project, (These come from scans of a Paradise of the Pacific Magazine from the 1950's.) They are of some historical importance...

To catch you up in case you haven't got a copy of Waikiki Tiki yet (Or "Sipping Safari" -Beachbum Berry's awesome book) Island wood Carver Edward M. Brownlee, is best known for his work at the Canlis' Charcoal Broiler, Waikikian Hotel / Tahitian Lanai as well as the International Market Place and the Aku Aku in Las Vegas. But there's another place from that era I'd somehow overlooked... The Matson Navigation Ticket office in Waikiki!

Matson Navigation back in the day was sailing the Lurline and other ships to the islands, but they also built and owned Hotels like the Royal Hawaiian (1882). During World War II, their luxury liners were conscripted as troop carriers and the Royal pressed in to service as a Navy recreational property. After the War, business got somewhat back to normal, but competition from Jet airplane service caused the company to rethink their plans. They sold their hotels and concentrated on shipping goods to the islands.

Check out the Mortlock Mask, and the Brownlee carving on the wall! Let's get a better look at that Lono.

Dang! Edward did some fine work, eh?

Mask? Well, not technically. (Masks are worn and have eyeholes. Bad writing in the caption! It's obviously a temple image.)

OK, one more and this one is pretty darn swell! Gracefull lines.

So anymore images, I'd like to see them. Dustycajun? Sven? Jeff? Sabu? Anyone? Thoughts?

best,

Phillip

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-16 20:56 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 10:57 am   Permalink

Aloha,

This outtake is a different angle of the storyboard at La Mariana. It's hard to see these days because of the addition of some glass floats in front!

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 4:27 pm   Permalink

I can't take this anymore. Enough is enough!!!

Phillip, you update this thread every 3 days like clockwork to keep this post alive.

We all know your book is out and available online and at the ABC stores in Waikiki. This thread is 24 pages long of advertisements!

Stop being so cheap and pay for an advertisemnt banner on TC if you have to keep getting the word out instead of dredging up this damn thread all the time.

We've seen enough of the 'outtakes', just let this thread die!

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 4:36 pm   Permalink

I agree with Zulu,

Most of us have the book already, Either buy a banner or start showing previews of book # 2 if there is one in the works. If the outtakes weren't worth putting in the book they aren't worth posting here.

Not trying to get anyone riled up but Zulu Magoo is right.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-19 8:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha Zulumagoo and Bora Boris,

Well, I'm sorry you both feel that way about this thread. Allow me address your general points. Discussion is good and Tiki Central is THE place to talk about Tiki.

I am proud of the book and am glad you got copies. While people might be aware of it, I don't think that everybody does own it. Traveling Jones for instance just picked it up during their last trip here less than 21 days ago at "Hilo Hatties."

BTW, I do not make marketing decisions such as "buying banners." The book company does.

Just because something didn't make it into the book, doesn't mean it wasn't worthy nor shouldn't be posted. The storyboard at "La Mariana" for instance. You can see much more detail of it than in the photo used in Waikiki Tiki.

I enjoy posting about the current state of Tiki in Waikiki and think some of the people coming here enjoy the thread. We have over 12,000 registered members here on Tiki Central and many lurkers. Read the thread or don't. It's your choice.

I think that pictures of long gone places like the Matson Ticket Office in Waikiki and the threatened Edward M. Brownlee carvings at the International Market Place ARE important. I think it's magical when a tiki carving taken down in 2009 is then found by workers in a forgotten shed and restored to the front of the Hawaiiana Hotel. The fact that some artifacts from The Hawaiian Hut have migrated to Sand Islands La Mariana is cool. When the Tiki at the Shave Ice Stand in the Beach Access lane between The Royal Hawaiian Center and The Outrigger Waikiki shows up on Craigslist and then disappears, I should post about it. When a journalist and I walk around and he points out something NEAT that I've never seen at the International Market Place, I want to tell people. When Tiki Central people come to town, I'm happy to show them things and play the VOICE of Don the Beachcomber.

best,

Phillip

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 02:57 am   Permalink

Awww, a coupl'a grumpy gus' can't rain this thread out, it's quite enjoyable and a good backstory to the book. If one doesn't like it, don't tune in.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 09:32 am   Permalink

I also enjoy looking at this thread regardless of the fact that I have the book.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation