FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-04 01:47 am   Permalink

Phillip, for me one of the more pressing issues that (I've posted somewhere previously) you might be able to have better luck documenting is the stunning '50s era mural inside the Bowl-O-Drome near University Ave. The mauka wall is covered with a great kitschy depiction of the Royal family enjoying a day outside, complete with menehune stealing just caught fish, and similar quirkiness. That the alley hasn't been torn down yet may be the gods preserving this invauable item long enuf for someone like yourself to gain entrance and capture in detail. It's a shame the wall can't be salvaged completely, but the next best thing is a photo-doc. Maybe you've been there and know exactly what I'm talking about. I think Kamehameha Schools is owner of the property. In fact, the whole building should be saved as it's the perfect representation of a great post-war bowling alley, the best I've ever seen.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-04 10:41 am   Permalink

Aloha,

It was on this thread... one well worth reading on Polynesian Murals and Dioramas. In fact, someone should bump it up. Hint, hint.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=23096&forum=1&start=0&hilite=Bowl%20o%

i've been trying to gain access to that for years now.

I shall try again.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-04 12:31 pm   Permalink

Timing is usually everything. I'll bet if you hit it at just the right time and spoke to just the right person you'd get a shot at it regardless of probable legal restrictions, but when and who are the magic words. I doubt contacting the proper channels would be of benefit and could hamper your chances. Let's hope it's still in decent shape, I remember seeing a small portion having been compromised for a lighting fixture, and who knows what's happened since it closed permanently.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-04 6:37 pm   Permalink

Was gifted with Waikiki Tiki by a daughter at Christmas. What a great book!

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-05 8:06 pm   Permalink

Phillip,
Thank you so much for the pic of the Tahitian Lanai! It's like finding a needle in a haystack to find pics from there and the Waikikian Hotel. I have faith that more will show up.
Mahalos!
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-05 11:21 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Thanks Kele and Haole Jim,

Your feedback is important to me. And the research continues...

She's wearing one of A.J.'s locally carved sea urchin spines...

More later. I gotta wake up early.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-10 7:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

While on a recent walking tour for some of our members, I tried (again) to capture the reflection of the PNG carving between the Waikiki Town Center and the International Market Place.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-14 2:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Doing a tour on Wednesday. Anyone like come? Meet at noon at the Banyan Tree at the Moana.

Got a little ink here, but it's mostly about others in Hawaii. Gecko, Brad, Lloyd, Thor, Okolemaluna, etc...

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-14 4:15 pm   Permalink

If you are in town, you gotta do a Tiki Tour with Phil !! Proud of you buddy... I love your work !!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 9:00 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2012-01-04 01:47, msteeln wrote:
Phillip, for me one of the more pressing issues...

I think this might ACTUALLY happen this coming week.

I have been pulling some taut strings. Tiptoeing really. Would you set aside a few hours on Friday morn? apparently there are TWO Murals that mom stagbar comissioned from
Jacqualin Anderson circa 1954.

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 10:13 pm   Permalink

I'm actually desperate to have a last viewing of this killer piece/s, and really appreciate your info/link, but the chances of me getting into town currently are nil. However, I commend your preservation efforts to the utmost, I'm sure you pulled some magical moves just to have any chance.
If you succeed, it'll be a major coup'.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-27 11:35 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

Well, the condition of the place was just about what I expected... Pretty darn bad...

Central Pacific Bank Clock stopped at the time power went off at the instant it was closed...

A coconut fish suspended in a back room. Apparently there was a great deal more Tiki decoration here during the heyday of this place. Descriptions speak of many things long gone.

Balls...

There were plenty of 10-20 year old shoes lying around, but none in my size... Bummed about that... Rifled the files in the business office and found nothing of real interest. Moving on...

Poster...

Sign...

And of course it WAS A bowling alley...

There is some good news about the Bowlodrome... I'll let you in on that later...

On to the mural... which is what you care about...

Let's start with a full shot of the Diamondhead facing wall so you can see the context...

The artist signed her work... Jacquelyn Anderson, Waikiki...

As you can see, the damage is pretty extreme on the Makai side of the mural...

Eating poi to the strums of ukulele... (Of course, we all know the uke wouldn't have been here at this ancient village, having been introduced much later to the islands.)

And a Menehune stealing fish IS seen as we move Maulka...

I note that the mural had been covered with varnish at some point as a preservation measure (probably to save it from the cigarette smoke). It peeled away very easily. You can see the original blue colors of the pond from where I peeled away some. This must have been VERY vibrantly colored in 1954.

He's carrying a pig and she's playing ukulele.

Hula maidens rule! Their frolic is enchanting...

Hawaiian Bowling... U'lu maika is being depicted here with round lava rocks being thrown...

And the MONEY SHOT.

The Ewa wall of the Bowlodrome once contained another mural, long painted over... I found a few remnants of it under the peeling paint, I can only imagine the breath and scope of it. Perhaps a picture will one day surface...

Good news? Yes. Someone with money is thinking about restoring this space to it's pristine glory. We spoke a bit. He will, if all goes to plan, preserve as much of the old mural as possible and comission new works of art.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-01-27 23:45 ]

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-28 09:09 am   Permalink

Just friggin' WOW, Phillip, you da' man!
Tragic that it's damaged much more than I'd hoped but blessed it's as intact as it is. You got some great shots, and the isolation of the menehune is choice. The shellac probably retained it all these years so you could get the pix. It must have been spectacular in the days of our youth.
The fragments from the other mural suggests it wasn't by the same artist, and maybe wasn't so worthy of keeping. But, it's worth knowing.
And that there's a sugar daddy hoping to restore the place is another dream come true.
Thanx, Phillip!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-28 10:00 am   Permalink

Congratulations Phil, those are the great days in the life of an urban archeologist!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-28 7:12 pm   Permalink

WOW!!!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation