FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-16 4:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-13 23:23, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,
Quote:

On 2012-05-13 03:58, msteeln wrote:
Looking forward to what more you find on those discs.

Spence Weaver of the Spencecliff Corporation at the Tahitian Lanai, Waikiki in Hawaii. I tried to clean it up but you can just see the carving in the background...

WAY COOL Phillip!
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-18 6:12 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Mahalo Kele!

Here's a nice picture for the weekend!

Waimea Falls. Hale o' Lono.

UPDATE!!

Hawaiian Hut A-Frame GONE!

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-05-20 04:06 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 9:32 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Happier days at the Hawaiian Hut!! Check out the detail of the carving of Maui pulling up the islands with his magic fishhook.

I'm still really annoyed about the loss of the A-Frame (and the whole darn thing, really) at the Ala Moana Hotel's Hawaiian Hut South Seas Village showroom.

Perhaps it's just that I have had a stye (for the last day or so) over my right eye. Perhaps not.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-31 8:51 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Hmmm, found where one of the Hawaiian Hut panels of "Maui pulling up the islands" ended up. Have to get a pic in the next few days when the light is right...

Here's something I'm doing some research on...

A tourist place shopping place near Ala Moana Center called the "Hawaii Manufacturing Center." This ad from 1972 seems to have promise.

Descriptions of say it was full of the kind of art we like. Anyone went there in the day?

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-01 05:06 am   Permalink

Most of the Good stuff from HH is at Gecko's house

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 08:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-24 21:32, Phillip Roberts wrote:
I'm still really annoyed about the loss of the A-Frame (and the whole darn thing, really) at the Ala Moana Hotel's Hawaiian Hut South Seas Village showroom.

Huge, irreplaceable loss, as it was one of the best & last remaining examples of that style.
What is there now?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 12:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
[quote]
On 2012-06-04 08:00, christiki295 wrote:
Quote:

Huge, irreplaceable loss, as it was one of the best & last remaining examples of that style.
What is there now?

I don't know where it has ended up. Yet. But I very much doubt it is at Gecko's house.

This ad ran in around 1971...

Hmmmm, I wonder what scent these refills were? And how do you add them to a burnt candle for hours of more enjoyment?

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-04 2:09 pm   Permalink

It looks like it could have been an oil lamp and not a candle. A very cool moai oil lamp.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-09 11:15 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2012-06-04 14:09, AceExplorer wrote:
It looks like it could have been an oil lamp and not a candle. A very cool moai oil lamp.

Good thought Ace. Anyone have one of these Easter Island oil lamps? I have never seen one (plenty candles) but assume it would be ceramic...

Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar and their award from the 2009 Mai Tai festival... Ask for the 1944 'Trader Vic' version. Bong and I recommend it...

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-10 10:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-31 20:51, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

Hmmm, found where one of the Hawaiian Hut panels of "Maui pulling up the islands" ended up. Have to get a pic in the next few days when the light is right...

Here's something I'm doing some research on...

A tourist place shopping place near Ala Moana Center called the "Hawaii Manufacturing Center." This ad from 1972 seems to have promise.

Descriptions of say it was full of the kind of art we like. Anyone went there in the day?

HIP pendants tagged

From Buzzy's collection...Thanks for the pict Buzzy!

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-15 1:59 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Sharp eyes Freddie! It seem they were quite a big deal in the day assuming they had the pull to get special tags on the HIP originals...

Ulu Mau Village-Ala Moana location from 1965 from a microfilm scan... You can see a much better color shot of this giant in Waikiki Tiki.

Btw, a soft opening at the International Market Place of "Tiki Town" a new outdoor bar/restaurant is happening later today. I was by Wednesday as they were setting some of it up! I'll take pics later...

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-16 8:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-09 23:15, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

Quote:

On 2012-06-04 14:09, AceExplorer wrote:

Good thought Ace. Anyone have one of these Easter Island oil lamps? I have never seen one (plenty candles) but assume it would be ceramic...

Maybe more wax inserts?

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-22 5:43 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Well done Freddie! Nice catch from 'Tiki finds' It seems Bongofury owns it.

Well, it seems "Tiki Town" isn't ready to open yet... I'll keep you informed.

Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-27 5:15 pm   Permalink

First of all, I'm enjoying your book immensely Phil. I go to sleep at night dreaming of old Honolulu and the grand tikis that lived there.

Secondly, my parents had one of those tiki candles when I was a kid. It was the coolest thing but I forgot all about it until now.

Finally, I will be in Waikiki in a little over two weeks and look forward to going to Tiki Town and seeing the other historic tikis in your book.

Mahalo

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRice

Posted: 2012-06-28 12:00 pm   Permalink

Aloha Phillip, purchased your book a couple weeks ago to do some research, then stumbled upon Tiki Central this week, and now I find that you are on this forum! Thank you for a wonderful, fascinating book.

View Profile of TikiRice Send a personal message to TikiRice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation