FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-29 2:59 pm   Permalink

Aloha and Mahalo!

Appreciate the comments guys! TrailerparkTiki, looking forward to meeting up when you are here.

TikiRice, let's see the Tiki you were researching that led you here!

1956-ish Interior Trader Vic's Ward Avenue...

Have a great weekend everybody!

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-03 08:06 am   Permalink

Phillip:
Do you have a top 10 for Waikiki tiki?
Mahalo.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-03 2:37 pm   Permalink

Aloha Chris,

I'm not really sure what you mean by a Waikiki Tiki "Top Ten." I haven't really given much thought to making a list...

Could you please be more specific? "Top 10 (remaining) Tiki in Waikiki to see?" "Top 10 places I wish had not closed?" "Top 10 things I wish I'd included in the book?" "Top 10 mugs I passed on when I didn't know any better?" etc...

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-03 11:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-03 14:37, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha Chris,

I'm not really sure what you mean by a Waikiki Tiki "Top Ten." I haven't really given much thought to making a list...

Could you please be more specific? "Top 10 (remaining) Tiki in Waikiki to see?" "Top 10 places I wish had not closed?" "Top 10 things I wish I'd included in the book?" "Top 10 mugs I passed on when I didn't know any better?" etc...

True enough. Frankly, I will take the top 5 remaining as I am going with the wife and nino and will only get an hour or two before having to move on to the next activity. Sigh..... Not to duplicate your incredible, all inclusive tour, but maybe just a highlights version, such as the one at the Royal Hawaiian?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-08 12:39 am   Permalink

Aloha Chris,

I just did an one hour-ish tour for Randy and thought it went quite well. Please check your personal messages. I am happy to be "Our Man in Hawaii." If I have the time, I will certainly do the same for you or any other member who is in town.

I'm not sure this A-Frame actually existed or was a conception of a Tiki-Happy ad exec.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-22 11:59 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Hope everybody is having a nice Weekend. I've been very busy... Couple of tours, more research... plenty new photos...

Here's one of the maori panels from the Hawaiian Hut in it's new home...

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-22 12:29 pm   Permalink

Thank god some of it has been saved.

Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 1:08 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the conversation and walk. We're back in Vegas now. Fascinating history all over the place. We went to Kailua and visited Ali'i Antiques and picked up some carvings that appear to be vintage and unique. We also went to the Antique and Collectible Show at the Blaisdell Center where we met Marcus Thorn carving a 7 foot Marquesan. A guy was selling old menus from the golden age of tiki bars but he was asking too much in my opinion. There were lots of folks selling vintage photos, I hope you made it over there. We went to La Mariana twice because its like a magnet for me.

Thanks again,
Wade

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 1:12 pm   Permalink

Aloha Wade,

My pleasure! It was great to meet up with you guys! I did not make it to the show. I had something else going on at the time.

Paradise Park 1980...

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-25 5:40 pm   Permalink

Phillip, thanks again for the Waikiki Tiki tour of the Int'l Marketplace. Like a fountain of local knowledge, lots of stuff there we had never spotted before! A couple pics, for the record...

Our host, in the Tahitian king's chair (did I get that right?)...

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-26 10:57 pm   Permalink

Nice photos, family and IMP history.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-31 8:31 pm   Permalink

Aloha Randy,

Yes, was great to meet you and the family!

I was told by oldtimers many years ago that it is a 'Fijian Chief's Chair,' brought back by Donn from his 1956 voyage to trade goods and stock the Marketplace with incredible art. While he sailed the South Pacific, Brownlee carved n the Matson Parking lot.

Hey i got a cool glass at a garage sale a few days ago... There's a swizzle and a coaster from the Menehune bar at the Edgewater hotel in Waikiki Tiki, but here's a cool bubble glass.

Does anyone have a picture of the interior of this place?

UPDATE: ooh
More bad TIKI news.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-07-31 20:41 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 5:14 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Very buzy, but I did get to hang out with the Tikimaster at his warehouse for a few hours last week. Had a nice chat!

Enjoy Oasis. I'm stuck in Hawaii.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-26 2:30 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I'm told that the ibook and ebook version will be available soon... I'll keep you posted...

Princess Kaiulani hotel.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-08 11:13 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Did a couple of tours and met some good people! Played them the VOICE of Don The Beachcomber! I enjoy seeing their reactions. If you come to Hawaii, look me up. Always happy to meet like minded people!

They are off to Kauai... Of course they will visit Tahiti Nui.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation