FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-16 13:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-16 09:01, Phillip Roberts wrote:

I've never been able to take photos of the Wailana Coffee Shop bar that convey the full beauty of the octagonal room so I left it out of Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs.

Good pupu's, decent drinks and great atmosphere. There is a huge turtle shell and loads of bamboo. I try to take visitors there whenever I can. It's right across from the Hawaiian Village on Ala Moana Boulevard and it's air-conditioned. As a bonus, the restaurant does an all you can eat pancake special!

I sympathize: I have had locations like that, that look great in person, but are impossible to squeeze into a frame.
With the Hawaiain Hut and Chuck's Steakhouse gone now, the Wailana Coffee Shop lounge is one of the last authentic old style environs left in Waikiki. Not mindblowing, simple in many ways, but because of its rarity, now a gem.

This place needs Biff and his VR team.....it's a truly awesome place.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 11:41 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

First off,

Ben,

I am sorry we missed each other when you were here last month.

Second,

Sven,

Let me thank you deeply for your review of Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs.

"The effigies of the Hawaiian ancestors and their neighboring brothers have been studied, discussed and displayed in museums as valued cultural heirlooms for over a century. In the meantime, their populist likenesses were marginalized as tourist art, neglected and forgotten. It is time that 20th Century Tiki gets recognized as unique art form that had its own time, place and meaning for a different, new generation of islanders and visitors from all cultures. Waikiki Tiki makes an essential contribution to the appreciation of this Polynesian pop culture."
- Sven Kirsten
Author of "The Book of Tiki" and "Tiki Modern"

You speak glowingly of my project and I am humbled by your words.

Additionally James, I appreciate your strong bold paragraph.

"Waikiki Tiki is a fascinating and richly illustrated portrait of how the new incarnation of tiki--forever changed by its appropriation into mainland pop culture--has triumphantly returned to its homeland to inspire, entertain, and educate generations of kama'aina and haole alike."
- James Teitelbaum
Author of "Tiki Road Trip", and "Big Stone Head: Easter Island and Pop Culture"

Duke, you also sent a wicked cool review... nui LOA to you all.

One would think that finding Tikis in the tourist capital Waikiki would be like shooting fish in a barrel. This is not the case. It takes the kind of passion and perseverance that Phillip Roberts has to unearth the evidence of Tiki's rise, fall, and rise again in Hawaii. On first visit to Waikiki with my wife on our honeymoon, we'd just been married in an old mainland Tiki bar, we thought we'd find Tikis at every turn. During our visit, and on subsequent trips, we only managed to find traces of Tiki's heyday. But with Phillip's thorough research, this book gives a fuller, clearer picture of Tiki's history and newfound popularity on the island.
- Duke Carter
Author of "Tiki Quest: Collecting the Exotic Past."

[quote]

On to the issue at hand...

On 2010-09-16 13:48, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

I sympathize: I have had locations like that, that look great in person, but are impossible to squeeze into a frame.
With the Hawaiain Hut and Chuck's Steakhouse gone now, the Wailana Coffee Shop lounge is one of the last authentic old style environs left in Waikiki. Not mindblowing, simple in many ways, but because of its rarity, now a gem.

OK, you hit the nail squarely on the head here, Sven.

This is EXACTLY my point. I have been LUCKY to get these shots over the years and they just don't all TRANSLATE to celluloid. This is GREAT ART and a view of Waikiki that has NEVER been seen before. And there's a lot more out I will find now after this is out. I have already had 4 new leads to follow up on and will post results.

I hope artists get some NEW material that inspires them to create some great work. One has already. Her painting in a unfinished state already thrills and chills me to the bone.

My Photographs are rare glimpses into a Waikiki never before seen in such detail and focus.

There is NOTHING like the smell of a new book.

Peace,

Phillip.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 04:14 am   Permalink

Official two thumbs up from Gecko @ La Mariana

I think the gift shop needs a stack of books when they are available....

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-22 2:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-20 04:14, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

That would be cool if they had a stack there. I'll go talk to them. Nice photos, Freddie. Looked like a fun night at La Mariana!!

Won't be long now. I count 9 days to release!!
Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs is available here

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-22 3:13 pm   Permalink

EEEEE 9 days I'm waiting with my clams ready for purchase

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-22 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-20 04:14, HOUSE OF KU wrote:

Definitely.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 2:18 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

One of my friends, Cory Kot is an artist. He mostly does etched glass with Hawaiian influenced graphics.
This is his website.

Anyhow, he decided to gift me one of his oil paintings I'd admired for a long time. I love it! Mahalos!

It's a painting of the Tiki (seen on the right hand page in the below photo) in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs. It was (long gone) located in a public garden in the Diamond Head recreational park and erected as a tribute to fallen surfers. Where it went and why it disappeared is a mystery.

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 05:14 am   Permalink

Fil, Is this available in Europe or do we need to order from Hawaii?

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 3:14 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Simon and Nina!

Quote:

On 2010-09-24 05:14, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Is this available in Europe or do we need to order from Hawaii?

The book is available through the Bess Press website. They can handle european orders.

The book is now available on Amazon.

Statue at the Royal Hawaiian hidden in the overgrown plants.
For more info on this statue.

Phillip

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-12-03 21:06 ]

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-29 3:46 pm   Permalink

Got mine in da mail today, what a cool book you made! I always thought there should be some sort of book with all the tiki's around Oahu... and this is mainly just Waikiki... nice one!
I think it may be time soon to go to Oahu for the weekend...

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-29 6:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-29 15:46, Beachbumz wrote:
Got mine in da mail today, what a cool book you made! I always thought there should be some sort of book with all the tiki's around Oahu... and this is mainly just Waikiki... nice one!

Nice!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-30 12:29 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2010-09-29 15:46, Beachbumz wrote:

oops Wrong Bum, but Mahalo!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-09-30 13:45 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 8:19 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I was just up at Bess Press signing copies of the book! I am so happy that this day is finally here! Mahalo NUI LOA to everybody at Tiki Central for your support

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 8:29 pm   Permalink

Phillip~
Congrats. So looking forward to receiving my copy of your book.
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 02:57 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2010-10-01 20:29, WaikikianMoeKele wrote:
Phillip~
Congrats. So looking forward to receiving my copy of your book.
~kele

Thank you so very much, ~kele.

I hope you will enjoy reading Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs as much as I enjoyed putting it together over the last seventeen years. I was fortunate enough to have access to the Wimberly, Allison, Tong and Goo archives and must whole-heartedly thank them for their contribution to my project.

The Waikikian Hotel is lovingly documented as is the Tahitian Lanai restaurant. You will see the ORIGINAL model used by Wimberly and Cook to test the theory of the main lobby's unique design. You will not only see the broiler plate (in a photo you all know) from the Waikikian, but it's CURRENT location in Kalihi. You will see the Canlis restaurant in archival photographs and the Edward M. Brownlee centerpiece in its current state.

And so much more incredible vintage eyecandy, I cannot describe it all. You will also see the current state of Waikiki from shop window displays that lasted only a week to long forgotten statues that have stood the test of time. You will see the (now lost) storage room of the International Market Place and the treasures it once held. And so much more around the island of Oahu, past and present...

When you come to Waikiki, I will be happy to make some time to show you around.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation