FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Waikiki Tiki; Art, History and Photographs OFFICIAL THREAD
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 10:46 am   Permalink

Hey, Phillip,

Congrats on the book! It was beyond awesome to hang with you and take your walking tour back in April. All the best. Get this book, folks, if you haven't already!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 12:21 pm   Permalink

Aloha!
Quote:

On 2010-10-02 10:46, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Hey, Phillip,

Congrats on the book! It was beyond awesome to hang with you and take your walking tour back in April. All the best. Get this book, folks, if you haven't already!

Many mahalos! Yes, the walk I give in Waikiki is way fun and the Waitiki 7 got the full tour

If anyone comes to Honolulu, I will be happy to take some time to conduct the "Wiki Wiki Waikiki Tiki Walking Tour" for them!

You can now get books directly from me or Bess Press!

Phillip

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 1:34 pm   Permalink

Congrats on the book Phil!

Do you think they'd ship it to Canada?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 3:48 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2010-10-02 13:34, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Congrats on the book Phil!

Do you think they'd ship it to Canada?

Many mahalos Slacks! Yes, they will. They have already shipped it to Canada, Italy, France, England, New Zealand, and Israel...

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HB TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-02 3:58 pm   Permalink

I got a copy of your book the other day, really enjoyed seeing all of the Tiki's of Honolulu. Enjoyed seeing my friend Gecko in the book. Thank you for doing a great job on the book. Roger Brittan We were just in Honolulu for 3 weeks last month.

View Profile of HB TIKI Send a personal message to HB TIKI  Email HB TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 11:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2010-10-02 15:58, HB TIKI wrote:
I got a copy of your book the other day, really enjoyed seeing all of the Tiki's of Honolulu. Enjoyed seeing my friend Gecko in the book. Thank you for doing a great job on the book. Roger Brittan We were just in Honolulu for 3 weeks last month.

Thanks! Gecko should have suggested you call me. I feel sad when I miss visitors.
KEVIN! BOB of
Http://bittner.com (who bought 7 autographed copies of "Waikiki Tiki" for his friends for Christmas... That's thinking ahead buddy!)

Pat, Kylie, Ernie, Jeff, Pat, Nikki, Dawn ...

I can sell a copy. Email me for details.

aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-04 10:19 am   Permalink

Got our copy in the mail. Wow, that has lots AND LOTS of stuff I've never seen before! I think my favorite thing in there that's new to me is the model of the Waikikian lobby structure.

Thanks for assembling all these materials - the book is deceptively voluminous, and seems to grow as you flip through it!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 8:53 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2010-10-04 10:19, aquarj wrote:
Wow, that has lots AND LOTS of stuff I've never seen before!

I am REALLY glad that you like it! You've been collecting a long time and have seen plenty of things. I wanted the book to POP with NEW (and or Rarely seen) IMAGES. I remember being VERY nervous when other books about Waikiki or Tiki were released.
Quote:

I think my favorite thing in there that's new to me is the model of the Waikikian lobby structure.

How amazing is it to see that? It's one of my favorites images from Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs, too. I remember the first time I saw it in the archives at the offices of Wimberly, Allison, Tong, & Goo. Breathtaking! I also am very proud of finding Brownlee's first commission for Canlis in
Quote:

Thanks for assembling all these materials - the book is deceptively voluminous, and seems to grow as you flip through it!

Mahalo! Awesome feedback Randy.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 10:41 pm   Permalink

Aloha

Alternate Take- PNG carving now located at the 2nd level coffee shop at the International Market Place, Waikiki, Hawaii

There is (was) a great deal of Papuan carvings at the ITNLMP. If you have already bought Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs you can see many of the things I found in the storage room. That room is now gone. Where it's contents went is anyone's guess. However, while I do not know where the many (termite eaten) contents of the room went, I think I know the origin of many of these items that previously graced the open air shopping complex in the middle of Waikiki...

According to a Honolulu newspaper article, while Edward M. Bronwnlee began to carve in 1956-57, Donn Beach embarked on a year long voyage to "collect materials and cheap trade goods in the South Pacific" for the Market Place... How FUN that must have been and how great the results of the voyage.

Comments?

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-08 01:42 am   Permalink

Aloha,

This is at the Border's Express at the Royal Hawaiian Center in Waikiki!

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 12:28 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I am on this weeks broadcast / podcast of the
Cocktail Nation with Koop Kooper talking about Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs!

Edward M. Brownlee minimalistic telephone pole carving at the remnants of the Waikikian Hotel Main Lobby in 1997. I should have used this in Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs. I think I tried to sneak it in at the last minute but it was too late.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-10-13 12:24 ]

koopkooper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 10:57 pm   Permalink

what a wonderful book, was really impressed with the spectacular photos...you can hear an interview I did with Phillip on this weeks Cocktail Nation show.
www.cocktailnation.net to hear it

View Profile of koopkooper Send a personal message to koopkooper  Email koopkooper Goto the website of koopkooper     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-13 12:29 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Thanks Koop... It was fun to do the interview!

Hawaii Magazine November / December 2010 Issue gives the book some ink!

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-15 4:19 pm   Permalink

The book may appear small, but it is packed to the gills with photos. Took me 3 days to get through it. Highly recommended. Some questions....

This mask is similar to the one by Lokena-1954 on page 236...same person?

This unmarked mug looks like the one on page 241 from Lucky Pierre's. Also from Lucky Pierre's?

I posted this in Tiki Finds before but was wondering if you knew more about this location

Small plate with sticker on the back that reads:
Coco Palms Hotel at Waikiki
2465 Koa Ave
Honolulu Hawaii

How about this location? Tiki in name only?

Congratulations on a great book!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-15 10:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-15 16:19, bongofury wrote:
The book may appear small, but it is packed to the gills with photos. Took me 3 days to get through it. Highly recommended. Congratulations on a great book!

Mahalo Nui Loa. That means a great deal to me Ron. Thank You very much.

Quote:
Some questions... This mask is similar to the one by Lokena-1954 on page 236...

Same mold. Lokena is one mystery of the Hawaii Potters that is not completely solved. No one seems thus far to know much thus far and I ask. There was a set of Oceanic mugs on Ooga-Mooga a while back that are red clay like the others shown.

Quote:

This unmarked mug looks like the one on page 241 from Lucky Pierre's. Also from Lucky Pierre's?

Looks like it. Lucky Pierre's was in the Puck's Alley / University area. Dan said some movie guy owned it...

Quote:

Coco Palms Hotel at Waikiki
2465 Koa Ave

How about this location? Tiki in name only?

Nothing there now. I'll search the library. Thanks For All your help!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation