FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-06 1:57 pm   Permalink

As promised here is the full version of Yellow Bird by the Beachcomber Trio.

http://soundcloud.com/jeff-central/beachcomber-trio-yellow-bird

The download has been enabled. Get it while you can folks!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-02-07 07:46 am   Permalink

Awesome...thanks!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64

Posted: 2011-02-07 08:35 am   Permalink

Yes, thanks for this cool addition to the album.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2011-02-07 10:11 am   Permalink

GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-02-07 7:08 pm   Permalink

Thank you!!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Noillid2

Posted: 2011-02-08 07:54 am   Permalink

This is a great live music! The background conversation adds to it! It's just like being there once again!

Thanks Jeff!!!

Tom...

It's all good, if the sun is warm, the water is blue,
I'm on a cruise ship drinkin' a Long Island Ice Tea or two!!!

View Profile of Noillid2 Send a personal message to Noillid2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 6:31 pm   Permalink

Got my copy today! good stuff. Before reading the back of the album, I noticed a few things that were kinda fun to hear as a musician and to picture how they did during the recording/gigging at the restaurant:

* Use of tumbao patterns normally played on congas but instead, played on the timbales. (Quiet Village, Sway). Kinda interesting; shows the percussionist was trying to cover a multi-player percussion section with 1 body perhaps...
* Reharmonized quiet village with extensive soloing - for me, it shows that this tune which is so often performed as a cover to the recording(s), was used more like a jazz standard - the melodies were kept but it was also used as a basis for jazz/improv. They took a lot of liberty!
* SHangri-La - my fav!
* Not crazy about electric bass; or the bass sound - not sure if that was an electric on the album or not (The picture shows it to be)...
* Sway - exotica with trumpet! wow

nice job jeff!

mr. Ho
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-09 07:38 am   Permalink

WOW! Thanks Brian for the nice compliment and the meticulus appraisal of my record.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-21 1:49 pm   Permalink

Hi Jeff (et al) - just a quick FYI that we're going to try to play a couple tunes from this album at our March 5th show in Cambridge (Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica). Details at http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39239&forum=4&0

Thought you might like to know!

Best,
Mr. Ho
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 09:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-21 13:49, Mr. Ho wrote:
Hi Jeff (et al) - just a quick FYI that we're going to try to play a couple tunes from this album at our March 5th show in Cambridge (Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica). Details at http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39239&forum=4&0

Thought you might like to know!

Best,
Mr. Ho

WOW! That's very cool, thanks Brian!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-18 05:10 am   Permalink

I got my LP at Christmas and it's amazing. Absolutely love it.

Just as a FYI, the download coupon didn't work, so I contacted Dionysus and they advised that the original website has expired, but the download will be available again soon, on a new website.

Mahalo Jeff

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-18 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-18 05:10, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
I got my LP at Christmas and it's amazing. Absolutely love it.

Just as a FYI, the download coupon didn't work, so I contacted Dionysus and they advised that the original website has expired, but the download will be available again soon, on a new website.

Mahalo Jeff

Thanks Kon-Hemsby,

Glad you got it before Christmas!

Thanks for letting me know about the new Dionysus website. People had lots of issues downloading the album from the old site. Hopefully it will work with ALL web browsers this time.

Thanks Again,
Jeff

Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-21 08:06 am   Permalink

I received my copy of this today. Sadly, the record arrived badly scratched - unplayable - on both sides. Furthermore, the website to input the code no longer exists. I've contacted Dionysus, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Since my copy of 490 of 500, I hope they have some left with which to replace it...

View Profile of Boscorooty Send a personal message to Boscorooty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 09:06 am   Permalink

Hi Boscorooty,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Did you purchase the album directly from Dionysus Records? Please let me know as I may be able to help you out. Weird that a "still sealed" record was badly scratched.

As mentioned above the Dionysus website is down but will be up, hopefully, soon.

Lee Joseph of Dionysus Records bends over backwards for his customers and will definitely make things right.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Quote:

On 2012-01-21 08:06, Boscorooty wrote:
I received my copy of this today. Sadly, the record arrived badly scratched - unplayable - on both sides. Furthermore, the website to input the code no longer exists. I've contacted Dionysus, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Since my copy of 490 of 500, I hope they have some left with which to replace it...

Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-21 1:46 pm   Permalink

Yes it was purchased straight from Dionysus. Still no reply, but I assume I'll hear by Monday.

What's weird is that it doesn't LOOK scratched. It looks fine. However, nearly every tack skips at some point. Obviously a bad press.

The bit of it I could listen to sounded great though. I hope I can get a replacement.

Rob

[ This Message was edited by: Boscorooty 2012-01-21 13:47 ]

View Profile of Boscorooty Send a personal message to Boscorooty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation