FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
The Beachcomber Trio Live at the Kahiki
Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-24 2:50 pm   Permalink

So far, Dionysus records seems reticent to offer a replacement.... Frankly, this
is a bit weird if you ask me. They're the only mailorder record outfit who hasn't offered
a prompt return/replacemet...

To be honest, the only reply I would have expected from a reputable company would be "very
sorry, we'll return it as soon as possible."

So far, I'm not getting that.... Call me crazy, but when I drop $30 for an eight-track LP, I
expect it to play.

Here is all of our correspondence.

> Hello,
>
> Today I received my copy of The Beachcomber Trio Live From Kahiki.
> Not only did it arrive scratched an unplayable in multiple spots on
> both sides, but the included download code leads to a website that doesn't
exist.
>
> Please send me a working code and a return shipping label so I can get
> a functional replacement. My order information is below.
>
>Thank you,
> Robert
>
>
>> Robert -
>> That record was factory sealed - I've opened about four copies since
>> it was pressed and all are fine - please send a photograph so I can
>> see what the issue is on the vinyl.
>>
>> As far as the download goes we just learned that the website which
>> housed it has closed. I have to find a digital copy of the album (I
>> don't have one
>> currently) and put it up on my website we will let everyone know when
>> that happens.
>>
>> Sorry for any inconviencence.
>>
>> - Dionysus Records
>>
>>>I'll take a picture if you like, but I don't think it will show anything.
>>>The record LOOKS perfect. It just skips on multiple songs.
>>>two on side A and two on side B.
>>>
>>>Perhaps a bad Pressing? Did you listen to the ones you opened? Do they play
>>>properly? Regardless, I can't listen through the whole thing, so I would
>>>like a replacement.
>>>
>>>Rob
>>>>Hello Rob,
>>>>
>>>>At this time we have had no issues with the playability of the Beachcomer
>>>>Trio LP.
>>>>
>>>>We suggest to play the LP on a different turntable and see if it is your
>>>>stylus that may be the issue. The test pressings for the LP played fine and
>>>>you are the first customer that has this issue.
>>>>
>>>>Currently we are working towards updating the download and will have an
>>>>update as soon as possible.
>>>>
>>>>Dionysus Records
>>>>
>>>>>OK, well, I've played it on both my Thorens TD-145, and my cheapo ION Profile LP USB turntable.
>>>>>
>>>>>As I said, I would like to get a replacement. Is this a problem?
>>>>>

[ This Message was edited by: Boscorooty 2012-01-26 18:22 ]

View Profile of Boscorooty Send a personal message to Boscorooty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 11:39 am   Permalink

Hello - really - you post this corrispondence on a public website? Really?

Well, if we must air our dirty laundry in public -

The vinyl record which is the subject of this communication does NOT skip - both sides, none of the songs. I played it all the way through.

However, the record was returned dirty filthy with the addition of numerous fingerprints and smudges. Someone doesn't know how to take care of a record.

On one point - the company that distributed my records was shut down and that includes their servers which housed my downloads - thus I have to upload the digital on this title (and many others) to my website and pass along to those who bought the reocrd as I will be housing all of my digital giveaways for the future. I at this moment do not have a digital copy of this record - as soon as I get one it will go on my website.

That was beyond my control. Maybe you could help collect the five thousand dollars due to me that I'll never seee?

For your complaints about the record? I offer no apologies - you fly the red customer flag my friend. I have not the time to mess about with you.

I will send a refund ASAP as I do not need, nor want, your money.

And I shall donate the now fingerprinted and smudged LP to a local thift store unless someone here on TC wants it - up for grabs for FREE

Regards
Lee from Dionysus...

View Profile of DJLee Send a personal message to DJLee  Goto the website of DJLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 12:33 pm   Permalink

Lee,
If the record is still up for grabs I'd love to have it.

Thanks
SK

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 12:54 pm   Permalink

Hi - sure, send me your address via email to dionysus@dionysusrecords.com and it is yours - it just needs a cleaning.
www.dionysusrecords.com

Join me for "Over Under Sideways Down" on LuxuriaMusic.com Wednesdays, 3-5 PM Pacific

View Profile of DJLee Send a personal message to DJLee  Goto the website of DJLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 1:08 pm   Permalink

Email sent and thank you.

I've wanted this one for a while.

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 1:28 pm   Permalink

Someone's loss is always someone's gain - it's the great leveler of the universe.
www.dionysusrecords.com

Join me for "Over Under Sideways Down" on LuxuriaMusic.com Wednesdays, 3-5 PM Pacific

Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-07 1:35 pm   Permalink

"Hello - really - you post this corrispondence on a public website? Really?

Well, if we must air our dirty laundry in public -

The vinyl record which is the subject of this communication does NOT skip - both sides, none of the songs. I played it all the way through.

However, the record was returned dirty filthy with the addition of numerous fingerprints and smudges. Someone doesn't know how to take care of a record."

WOW just absolutely, despicably, bad customer service from Lee.

I have a collection of over 150 Polynesian records from the 40's to the present, all of which play perfectly. As I said, YOUR poorly pressed disc skipped, on both sides, on an ION usb turntable, and a $600.00 audiophile grade Thorens TD-145 which had recently been professionally restored with a Bang and Olufsen cartridge. In both cases, the LP skipped, in exactly the same spot.

As for your claims of returning a dirty disc? Plain and simple, B.S. The record was returned EXACTLY as received. Don't like it? Ship a better product. I've been collecting rare vinyl for over 25 years. Believe me, I know how to handle it. I also know how to spot a shoddy pressing when I see it.

Given the absolutely atrocious attitude your company has displayed from the very beginning of this matter, starting with your insipid "take a picture of it" and "that record was factory sealed" replies, right through to your refusal to replace the record as promised, I'd suggest that DIONYSUS is raising the red flags, not me. I've never dealt with a record company that has treated me this poorly before, and never before have I been forced to complain on a third party's forum. Maybe you're too small of a company to care, but customer satisfaction matters. The way you've handled this indicates that either you have no concept of, or interest in, customer service.

That you've lost money on your server is not your customer's problem, plain and simple. I feel for you, but you act as though demanding what I paid for is somehow my fault. If you can't supply the downloads as promised, don't advertise them.

As for airing our dirty laundry on this forum, well, mine's not dirty. If you don't want people seeing your reticence in the matter, that speaks to the way you run your business. If, in the beginning, Dionysus had simply said, "sorry, ship it back for a refund or replacement" it never would have been brought up here.

This matter was aired on this forum precisely because you were unwilling to handle it professionally on your own. I'd advise anyone who's thinking about purchasing ANYTHING from your website to think twice, since Dionysus will meet any potential problems with attitude and vitrol, NOT service.

P.S. acting as though refunding my money is some kind of grand gesture, when you're refusing to ship the product I ordered? Childish and sad.

[ This Message was edited by: boscorooty 2012-02-07 13:56 ]

View Profile of Boscorooty Send a personal message to Boscorooty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 1:58 pm   Permalink

I don't know who is right or who is wrong here....but I spent a 1000 years in retail management...and the golden rule was: The customer is ALWAYS right, even if they are actually wrong!

This was based on the theory that to give a client a refund with no excuses or stipulations was always more profitable and less work and hassle in the long run.

but to question a client/customer, basically calling them a liar or making them prove their case through a photograph.....this is normally unheard of anywhere except in some Pho restaurant in little saigon...totally unproffesional and uncalled for.

If those are the real emails we just read....I would never do business with them. never.

When I have a problem with Amazon orders, I am refunded promptly, no questions asked. That's pretty much standard.

When I was a restaurant manager, and a customer showed me their mostly finished plate and then told me the food was bad.....I offered a refund, no questions asked. A refund, and an apology. The refund and apology would cost me far less then the havoc I knew that customer would later throw my way.

Now, if this is the 3rd time the same customer has pulled this stuff, then they are a scam artist...and that's different. Bootscooty, is there more to the story then you are telling? Did you have any previous dealings with this company where you wanted a refund?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-07 2:03 pm   Permalink

Hand to god, all the emails I've posted are exactly what I received. You'll notice Lee hasn't suggested otherwise. The only other correspondence I got was the last one, which I was going to post with a thank you when everything had been resolved:

"Hi Robert - Lee here you've been speaking to two different people -
By the way you said "scratched and unplayable" in your first email, it sounds like there are visable blemishes.
If it skips in the exact same places on two units then go ahead and send it back. I'll give it a spin here too and check it out - will send another one to replace. Send via Media Mail and we'll reimburse you."

I had no way of knowing that I'd been speaking to two different people. Everything came from the same address, so I guess I really still don't. The reimbursement mentioned was for shipping costs, and even here, they failed. It was NOT included in the oh-so-gracious refund. Frankly, at this point, if I'm out five bucks, who cares.

To answer your question, this is the only time I have ever ordered anything from Dionysus. They've made a hell of a first impression.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "scratched" as I guess it could be confusing. I don't know. It seems to me, whether it's a scratch or a bad pressing, if it won't play, it won't play, and the seller should replace it. I sent it back as instructed, only to have my order cancelled without any given reason. When I came back to Tiki Central today, I found Lee's post. I am completely shocked by it. I've ordered vinyl from the biggest of the big labels, to the smallest of Detroit's local garage-band outfits. I've ordered from sellers on Discogs.com, ebay, Amazon, and etsy. Never - not once- have I been treated this way.

Like I said, I've never had to complain like this before, and I don't set out to waste my time like this. I sent the record back, with the impossible-to-use download code inside. I don't see how Lee thinks I'm benefiting here, but I guess I'm just out of luck. From now on, I'll remember not to deal with Dionysus Records, and I would urge others to think twice as well. Maybe you'll get a perfect product, but God help you if you don't.

[ This Message was edited by: boscorooty 2012-02-07 14:42 ]

DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 2:54 pm   Permalink

yawn...
post all you want I'm out of here.

Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-07 2:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-07 14:54, DJLee wrote:
yawn...
post all you want I'm out of here.

Lee, your reply says more than anything I'd ever be able to post.

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 4:10 pm   Permalink

Wow. This is a fine example of how NOT to run a business.

And as far as the "airing dirty laundry" accusation....most on-line retailers allow product reviews. Especially on Amazon. Product ratings. Good, bad...they are all there. This is unacceptable. I would never buy anything from this DJlee either. Not now.

And my record buying experience matches yours too, Bootscooty. I usually buy Amazon, but a lot of it is from the private, small sellers, because they are used items. For example, Dave's used books (just made that up) I have never had any problem at all. I have had refunds, cancellations, even the company trying their best to find the product somewhere else for me. it's called going the extra mile.

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2012-02-07 16:14 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-07 11:30 pm   Permalink

Since posts above seem to want to turn this thread into Dionysus testimonials, I will offer mine. I've been buying records from Dionysus for something like 17 years, and have ALWAYS been happy with them. It's an UNDERstatement to say that without Dionysus, a lot of great music would simply never have been released. And that goes for the Beachcomber Trio LP, which I own, and which plays fine for me.

It sounded to me like Boscorooty was itching to "air dirty laundry" from the get-go. By his account, he first contacted Dionysus on a Saturday, and then was already posting here by 8a pt, to inform all of TikiCentral that he hadn't heard back yet. And then again a few hours later on the same day. Isn't that a little unreasonable to expect a same day reply on a Saturday? And then apparently there WERE a number of replies in the next 3 days, but not resolved to his satisfaction yet. Still, 3 days seems like a pretty short fuse to start pasting entire private email exchanges into this public thread about the Beachcomber Trio. It goes well beyond a "review", and I think the ruffled feathers about the request for a photo is WAY overblown. In my experience that's pretty common e-tailer practice, and in fact we just had that with one website. It didn't bother me at all when they asked for a photo of a damaged item we'd bought as a Christmas gift. And they weren't even in Little Saigon! Try returning a bad hard drive under warranty - holy cow - they want a lot more than a quick photo.

Anyway, FWIW, I downloaded the mp3s when I got the LP. If it would help anybody, I can put them up on a private shareable location, just to get them to Lee or (if Lee authorizes it) to Boscorooty. I don't mean for open sharing though - I wouldn't do that.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-08 05:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-07 23:30, aquarj wrote:
Anyway, FWIW, I downloaded the mp3s when I got the LP. If it would help anybody, I can put them up on a private shareable location, just to get them to Lee or (if Lee authorizes it) to Boscorooty. I don't mean for open sharing though - I wouldn't do that.

-Randy

If Lee is Ok with this, I would love that. I can give you the download ref that I have with the LP, to show I'm not looking to steal the MP3's.

Mahalo

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2012-02-08 05:42 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Boscorooty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-08 06:00 am   Permalink

Aquarj, 4 days of email exchanges, particularly the ones above, is long enough to know that the person in question was not handling the matter professionally. You may get asked for photos all the time, that's fine. I don't, and no one i know would ever call that a standard practice. To complain that the record was "factory sealed," as if somehow that guarantees perfection, is ridiculous.

I only posted my initial disappointment here because, frankly, I was really excited to get the rcord, and what I received - an unplayable disc with an unusable download code - was a major letdown. When I posted initially, I even praised the product, saying that what I could hear sounded great. I wasn't spoiling for a fight in any way.

I only posted the email exchanges when it became clear that, after four days, Lee and Dionysus were trying their best NOT to provide a replacement.

As for the Beachcomber LP, It's available on Amazon for as little as $15. $10 cheaper than a direct order from Dionysus. I didn't go that route, since normally I love to support small labels - for exactly the reasons you mention. Usually they press interesting, hard-to-find stuff, care about the music, and treat their customers with respect. As you can see above that was not my experience with Dionysus. If your experience has been different, congratulations.

I've now purchased a copy of the LP from an Amazon 3rd party seller. I've dealt with him many times before, and know I can trust him. It's used, meaning Dionysus won't get money from me, but it's mint and still contains an unused download code, should Lee ever bother to set up new digital files. According to the seller it plays perfectly, but should I need to, he'll be happy to replace or refund.

I'm pretty sure he won't even "yawn" dismissively at me.

Oh, and I appreciate the offer of the mp3's, but I'll do this the honest way. Either Lee will put them up, and I'll download them from the website with my new code, or I'll just make a set from my own record with Soundsoap.

[ This Message was edited by: Boscorooty 2012-02-08 06:06 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation