Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Oasis III Bartending
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Tiki Oasis III Bartending
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-14 7:17 pm   Permalink

This was the best one I heard:

Patron: I would like a Mai Tai.

Barkeep 1: Oh, my Mai Tais are not that good he (Barkeep 2) makes the best Mai Tais.

Barkeep 2: I don't know how to make a Mai Tai.

Barkeep 1: So what do I do.

Barkeep 2: Just put whatever in there.

(Patron leaves for Rom 135)

No joke on the above exchange.

TB

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-14 9:22 pm   Permalink

Casey
Thanks for the reply and explanations. I know you didn't have to say a thing but you stepped up to the plate. Your candor is refreshing. I shall return! Maybe you should also look into security in case those "ball poppers" return. Also get some WD-40 for those trash carts that your guys push through the parking lot at 7:45 am...those are obnoxious at that hour with a hangover... Aloha!

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Ambience
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-15 09:23 am   Permalink

The wifey and I actually got some good drinks although from a stressed out overworked bartender. It was hot in that bar, really hot!
I suggest for next year we get some fans in there to cool things off, more bartenders and a seperate set of turntables in the bar so that people can lounge and sip their drinks to some cool exotica tunes. I would even bring some cool lights to hang up and stuff. Whaddya think?

View Profile of Captain Ambience Send a personal message to Captain Ambience  Email Captain Ambience Goto the website of Captain Ambience     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-15 10:33 am   Permalink

Hi Guys and Gals!

There seems to be some discussion regarding the drinks at Tiki Oasis and, by association, some speculation about the drinks at the upcoming fabulous Hukilau.

On Saturday night, the Mai Kai's drinks will speak for themselves. Anyone who's been there can attest that it doesn't get much better than that. But the question is: what of the Friday night event at the host hotel??? Can a hotel baquet bar deliver a beverage worth calling "good grog"?

I spoke with Doug, the F&B Director at the Holiday Inn. Turns out he used to own a Polynesian restaurant in New Jersey for 19 years. It was called East Winds and was located in Scotch Plains on Route 22 (any New Jersyites ever been to it?). Anyway, this boy knows Tiki dinks and is going to work up a couple of choices to go with the usual banquet bar offerings. When he gives us the lowdown (choices, prices, etc.) we'll be sure and post it.

I suspect that with a seasoned tiki drink maker, we'll be in good hands.

As always, if anyone has questions or concerns, please email me at:
tishtar@cfl.rr.com

Thanks!
Tristan, humble Hukilau coorganizer

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-15 3:38 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately myself and Mrs. ModMana ordered a couple of the $9 Mai Tais. The bartenders were very friendly and seemed to genuinely be trying very hard to please...but we watched in amazement as they seemed to just dump whatever was handy into our glasses. Clearly they did not have a clue how to mix a Mai Tai (arguably the most common tropical drink we could have ordered). You could see his brain work as he was mixing...."uhhhh, put a bunch of rum in it, then fill it up with 2 or 3 other random liquers and, bam!, it's a Mai Tai, right". Well, no, they were horrible. However, we weren't about to waste $9 drinks, so we choked'em down anyway. On a positive note, they were incredibly strong. One of those was all it took to kick our ass for the entire afternoon. After that, we chose to mix our own in the "room bar".

Having said that, I really appreciate what CaseyJ had to say in his explanation of the situation. I'm confident that this year's event was a good learning experience for them and next year we will all enjoy great drinks from the Reef.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-16 2:34 pm   Permalink

Casey, using the Grog Log would be good but the Reef at the Tropics should have it's own signature drink. You could call it The Reefer.

[ This Message was edited by: johnnievelour on 2003-05-16 14:35 ]

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-16 4:39 pm   Permalink

"The Reefer"

Hee-Hee-Hee

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation