FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Exotiki Steel Guitarist hit by train...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Exotiki Steel Guitarist hit by train...
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-19 3:44 pm   Permalink

Just a heads up for everyone in Socal. Thomas Yearsley, the bandleader and steel guitarist for Exotiki was hit by a train on Monday, in an attempt to save his dog Swango's life. Many of you have seen him play at Bamboo Ben's Nooner 2 years ago and at the benefit for Marie and Don the Beachcomber this year. Some of you may also know him from his old rockabilly band, the Paladins.

Luckily he is doing well.

Here is the news story.

http://www.10news.com/news/24680411/detail.html

Sorry for the loss of Swango Thomas. Get well soon!

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-19 3:54 pm   Permalink

He didn't have health insurance so a fund was set up to help if you can:

http://helpthomas.com/

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-19 4:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting that TheJab. I knew one was supposed to be set up somewhere but I didn't know where.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-21 09:49 am   Permalink

TikiShaker and thejab, thanks for posting the info!

I tried to log on here Tues. and post the news about my dear friend, but the site was down (?)... all I got was blank, white screen page.

Thomas is doing better. Heartbroken about the loss of Swango (R.I.P. pup!), but when I talked with him last he was in good spirits. So glad he's ok!

It would be cool to see more support on here. Thomas has been into tiki culture since before his days with The Pals (over 30 years) and has always tried to keep a hand in creating beautiful music to float away to mentally via tiki/exotica vibes.

Exotiki is scheduled to play a benefit on Sept. 19th at the Redwood Bar in Los Angeles.

Again, please support a true hero and legend.
www.helpthomas.com

View Profile of Dartin Menny Send a personal message to Dartin Menny  Goto the website of Dartin Menny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-22 11:40 pm   Permalink

Exotiki is one of the raddest bands around. I hope this unfortunate occurance does not sideline the band for too long! Yearsley, Kevin Stewart and their boys have a super professional mix of Hawiian, western swing, gypsy jazz, all painted with an "exotica" brush. You got to see it to believe it! Last time, they came all the way up from SD to play at the "mariepalooza" event, and just KILLED!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-23 7:11 pm   Permalink

Wow....how does one get hit by a train and survive ?

Glad to hear he's ok, and sorry to hear about his pup.

Do we need to do another fundraiser ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-23 8:18 pm   Permalink

Here's one fundraiser show, Sept 10 in Oceanside: http://www.facebook.com/friends/?id=100001196751547&view=everyone#!/event.php?eid=128536847192134&ref=mf

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-24 08:00 am   Permalink

Lucas, thanks man!

Jim, good question! Trains are quite dangerous! Thomas is a little beat up, but doing good. I visited him yesterday before he went back to his doctors. He's mainly heartbroken about losing his pup. He's in very high spirits!

As 4wdtiki posted, there's a benefit going on in Oceanside on the 10th.

Exotiki will also be playing the Redwood Bar on Sept. 19th. All of the door will go to Thomas to help with his medical expenses. (as noted earlier, he does not have insurance and needs much help).

Any other benefit would be amazingly appreciated!

View Profile of Dartin Menny Send a personal message to Dartin Menny  Goto the website of Dartin Menny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-24 08:58 am   Permalink

I am going to try super hard to go to the Redwood show...Dartin, can you post a reminder in tiki events when it's around the corner?

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-24 10:57 am   Permalink

Fo' sho'

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 12:29 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Wedgie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-31 1:34 pm   Permalink

Holy ShiiTE!! Sorry to hear about the dog, but glad to hear Tom is doing well.

View Profile of Atomic Wedgie Send a personal message to Atomic Wedgie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-31 3:42 pm   Permalink

I was very much expecting to read a thread that was going to be an obituary. It is sad he lost his dog. I love my animals (dogs, cats, wife) very much. But, this thread has a happy ending because he lives! here is to a speedy recovery and as a musician, you can bet I am going to hit the link and make a contribution...starting right now!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-06 12:34 pm   Permalink

September 19th - 8pm

Redwood Bar in Los Angeles

Thomas Yearsley Benefit show

Line-Up:

The Blasters w/Dave Alvin
Candye Kane
Karling Abbeygate
Exotiki

...... Hope you can come out and support!

[ This Message was edited by: Dartin Menny 2010-09-06 12:35 ]

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-07 2:00 pm   Permalink

very cool,
I will be there for sure.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation