FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Tiki in Michigan?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki in Michigan?
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-01 11:11 pm   Permalink

WOW, 17 lamps. I'd have one in every room.

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifa

Posted: 2010-09-06 03:05 am   Permalink

Greetings All!

Hard to believe: my first and only posting here was some seven years ago. Alas. Since then I've moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan, and now teach in the History of Art Department of UM (actually, I'm off this semester). Been collectin' mugs and tiki-flavored experiences since 2001, and have a suavified Tiki Lounge in the back: "The Buki-Buki Room" (wife wanted a library, I wanted TIKI. We compromised: A Tiki Lounge with batch of buki-shelves... get it?). Never get to meet enough Tiki Piple around her, and think it would be great to see what others are doing, and share some of what we're up to here. Attaching a couple older pics of the Buki-Buki Room, a humble work in process. Maybe southeastern Michuganehs can assemble some home-bar tourism evenings---whatever! I just wanna know who you guys are, so' we could have us some fun and larfs.

So here's part of the bar:

Here are a few of the mugs and such on the shelves:

And here's more of the room, video fire crackling on the TV behind a bamboo screen for a swelegant effect.

Time for sleep. 'Til next time, may All Good Things be yours...

tikifa (though I've been told that 'Professor Voodoo" might be more fitting...)

View Profile of tikifa Send a personal message to tikifa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-06 03:54 am   Permalink

Nice details tikifa. I'm diggin' that rug with the shields!

I hunt around Michigan as well as I have businesses across the state. I'd say there's about as much to find and see as in Indiana, (where I reside), 'cept that maybe the towns are a bit smaller and more spread out.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-06 4:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Did you sell every last one of those lamps?
Refresh my memory where they came out of...was it Chin Tiki ?
Mahalos

I have a few left actually... though they are slowly getting spoken for.

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Troll
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-06 7:08 pm   Permalink

this thread got my BFF to go do some field reporting on Chins Livonia for me to put on the blog. Looks like its still a pretty neat place.
you learn something new everyday around this place.

View Profile of Tiki-Troll Send a personal message to Tiki-Troll  Email Tiki-Troll     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-11 9:25 pm   Permalink

I think a home bar crawl is a great idea! Might be a bit of an issue getting from Ann Arbor to Lansing and vise versa but if enough people join in, I'm sure something could be worked out.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheScourgeOfThe7Seas

Posted: 2010-09-12 04:33 am   Permalink

Tiki in Michigan. This is where my collection began. I always had great luck in downtown Ann Arbor. Go into those shops that you might normally be afraid to go into. Royal Oak used to have some kitchy little places too.

View Profile of TheScourgeOfThe7Seas Send a personal message to TheScourgeOfThe7Seas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation