FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Zombie Road Trip...
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-23 1:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-10-23 13:39, Luckydesigns wrote:

I played the Hawaiian Room with Lucas and Kevin during the Resurection of the Hawaiian Room, nine years ago, in 2003. I remember it being a pretty cool room. Maybe we can do another event there again?

That's the place where they had the Kava ritual, right? Man, that was a long time ago! One of my first dates with my GF was that night, as I recall.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-31 8:50 pm   Permalink

Another "unloved" Tiki bar...

So think of a LA Tiki bar that's tiny, owner operated, permits smoking, and is open on a limited basis, what comes to mind? The Tiki-Ti right?

Well how about the Hale Hawaii bar in Torrance?

Unlike the Tiki-Ti however, this place gets little Tikiphile attention, probably because it's hardly ever open. The operating hours are Mon-Fri from 4pm until... well, whenever the owner feels like closing which is sometimes as early as 10pm.

Even the Bigbro found himself locked out when he and Miss Kauai of 1998 tried to gain entry during the filming of a (pre-BOT !!) Tiki documentary...

"Tiki bar, Tiki bar, let me in !!"...

"Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin"

Now while this place isn't exactly the Mai Kai, it's not without its unique Tiki qualities, For one thing it's one of the few (only?) remaining examples of the strip mall Tiki bar !! (Lava Lounge RIP)

What a great concept, park your car once and you can get a haircut, visit the chiropractor, have a passport photo taken, and then enjoy a couple of Mai Tais all in a single visit.

And how was that Mai Tai? Well although it was Hawaiian-style it was a stiff and well balanced cocktail, not too sweet. No Zombies though but I do understand they have a pretty kick-ass Scorpion bowl. One must possess a high degree of Tiki self-confidence however, to sip a faux seashell drink amongst the bar's beer swilling football fan regulars.

That's actually another unique thing about the Hale Hawaii, it's a strip mall Tiki SPORTS bar. Now while that concept might be horrifying to Tiki purists, I thought the place still vibed more of a scruffy mid-century authenticity than many of our net new Tiki joints like the Disney Trader Sam's or some of the more recent Trader Vic's.

If anything Tiki fans should pay a visit just to be So Cal vintage Tiki bar completists, but remember if you don't want to disappoint your beauty pageant date, call first to make sure they're open !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 6:00 pm   Permalink

Wow, John-O. I drive past this place at least once a week and have never even bothered to swing by. I received some bad intel relating this place had 'No Tiki Vibe' at all. Looks like I have been letting a local place die on the vine.

I will definately try to swing by there and say hello.

View Profile of Chippy Send a personal message to Chippy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 9:29 pm   Permalink

Looks just like a place "Starsky & Hutch" would hang........OK, Huggy Bear too.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 10:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-01 21:29, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Looks just like a place "Starsky & Hutch" would hang........OK, Huggy Bear too.

So, are you trying to say it should be my kind a place??

View Profile of Chippy Send a personal message to Chippy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-02 12:13 am   Permalink

No Chippy, for you I would have to say where would "Jon & Ponch" like to hang

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-11-02 01:05 am   Permalink

I usually stop by the Hale Hawaii whenever I pickup my car from the dealership across the street. That's not all that often, but then it's hardly ever open anyway. When I go I usually get the scorpion bowl. It is served in a seashell bowl and is pretty good. It is probably the only really authentic tiki style cocktail that they serve there.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-02 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-02 00:13, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
No Chippy, for you I would have to say where would "Jon & Ponch" like to hang

Chippy, like his television CHP counterparts, is a professional and would never frequent a Tiki bar while in uniform.

That however never stopped Starksy (or was that Hutch?)...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2012-11-02 11:24 am   Permalink

John-O,
Have you checked out Melody Bar & Grill in Westchester? I found the place by looking up tiki bar on yelp.com. From looking at their pics online it looks like there are a few different theme rooms in the bar/restaurant. The place opened in 1952 and looks cleaned up and old school. I haven't been to the place, but thought it looked interesting.

http://www.melodylax.com

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2012-11-02 14:41 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-02 2:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the recommendation Lori, BUT...

"Cleaned up" and old-school tend to be an oxymoron for me. To be honest that place vibes a little too self-consciously hip and ironic for my tastes. I encourage you however to investigate and report. In the meantime, those Yelp photos need to be removed. On this thread, if I wasn't there, then it really didn't happen. Also I need to keep the downward aesthetic momentum consistent for what the Zombie Roadtrip has in store next.

tikilongbeach

Posted: 2012-11-02 3:03 pm   Permalink

It does look a bit clean for this thread. And like magic, the pictures are gone.
I go to San Pedro bars and restaurants for their character so I should know the type of places you're investigating.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-02 4:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-02 15:03, tikilongbeach wrote:
It does look a bit clean for this thread. And like magic, the pictures are gone.
I go to San Pedro bars and restaurants for their character so I should know the type of places you're investigating.

There are bars in San Pedro with character? Personally the ones I have been to are just full of characters. (Bwaa ha ha)

tikilongbeach

Posted: 2012-11-02 5:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-02 16:07, Chippy wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-11-02 15:03, tikilongbeach wrote:

There are bars in San Pedro with character? Personally the ones I have been to are just full of characters. (Bwaa ha ha)

San Pedro does have a lot of characters. I like the ones at Utro's. Real dive bars and tiki bars should be full to the rafters with character and characters. I'm happy that John O has taken it upon himself to check out the lesser known gems. I'll certainly check some of the places out.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-03 08:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-02 11:24, tikilongbeach wrote:
John-O,
Have you checked out Melody Bar & Grill in Westchester? I found the place by looking up tiki bar on yelp.com. From looking at their pics online it looks like there are a few different theme rooms in the bar/restaurant. The place opened in 1952 and looks cleaned up and old school. I haven't been to the place, but thought it looked interesting.

http://www.melodylax.com

One of the rooms does have palm thatching, bamboo and Hawaiian wall coverings. It cold be worth a look-see before heading to the Purple Orchid.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-04 6:43 pm   Permalink

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation