FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
JUANTIKI

Posted: 2010-09-17 09:20 am   Permalink

I was late to the party and bought the book in 2005, but since then it has always been a good bedtime read whenever I was too drunk to read whatever novel I was into. Thanks Sven!!!!

View Profile of JUANTIKI Send a personal message to JUANTIKI  Email JUANTIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 8:41 pm   Permalink

This book and Tiki Modern have changed my life in a most awesome positive way. I love Tiki history, culture, architecture, art, mugs and everything Tiki. I have had so much fun being an urban tiki archaeologist. I really wish i could attend this anniversary party.

Thank you Sven for writing both of these books and bringing the fun tiki-aloha-spirit and history into my life.

Sincerely
Abstractiki

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 9:27 pm   Permalink

But will a reprinting be ever coming. I had to get my BOT from Italy of all places.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 9:34 pm   Permalink

There's an inside joke between a friend and I of who's going to give you a BJ first when we see you out and about. If I were you I would find this as a huge complement. Thanks for putting out a *shitty book we all love.

*"shitty" is the new Michael Jackson "bad"

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-17 11:17 pm   Permalink

Now THERE's a commitment to show appreciation!

I don't think a BOT reprint will happen unless my publisher does it - and they don't do reprints. I do own the rights now, but I would not want to put anything of lesser than the original quality out there.

Thank you all for your testimonials! Though the influence of the book has waned since it became hard to find (or afford), I enjoy hearing about its reverberations, and what it set in motion.

And where are my other artists' works? Git yer butt in gear and finish your paintings for the show now!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-17 11:18 pm   Permalink

I don't know Sven....I think if you invested the money into reprinting yourself, you'd sell quite a bit and AT LEAST recoup.

I Know I would buy another one, as I only have the softcover...Also, since the BOT has stopped being printed, the amount of people into Tiki has gotten considerably bigger...just one look at Tiki Oasis this year will tell you that. When my band played the Bali hai for Oasis this year, there was probaby damn near a thousand people out there watching us...it was crazy...and this was the THUSDAY nite..not even the main event.

Also, I think most people that have it would probably buy another one....people LOVE that book.

Just my $.02

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-18 01:28 am   Permalink

GROG has seen Kirby's piece and it look great. Plus, it inspired by something IN the Book of Tiki, so it also very appropriate. GROG tell Kirby he need to post a pic of it, but Kirby tell GROG it look too simple in photos and it need to be seen in person to be appreciated. It look really nice hanging on Kirby's wall, and it going to be a really nice piece for the show.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 01:47 am   Permalink

Thanks, guys!

Since this question came up in a mail, I wanted to address it:

Since the show was originally conceived to support 8 Ball, which had limited exhibit space, I decided to limit the art to PAINTINGS only, to keep it small. But alas, it was not to be...

I should have included the carvers and mug molders once it became apparent that 8 Ball was not gonna make it and I was gonna do it at M-Modern, but the fact that I was going to be in Europe through all the preperations led me to decide to keep the format.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 10:50 am   Permalink

I believe a reprinting of The Book of tiki is a must.. There are more and more tiki people at every event and in order to keep the real essence of what tiki culture was and should be. All those new folks getting into tiki Must have a BOT in hand..The bible has been reprinted tons of times and ours should be no different.. You must continue to teach the new generations about tiki..

Thanks Grog For the complement..I am so stoked to be apart of this show, It is the most important show I have ever been apart off, Thanks for including me sven! My piece is inspired by the tiki mosaic on page 174BOT.

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 10:58 am   Permalink

WOW Kirbsters I love that piece, YAY

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 11:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-18 10:58, Sophista-tiki wrote:
WOW Kirbsters I love that piece, YAY

I second that

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 11:24 am   Permalink

Kirbster that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I become more of a fan every time I see your new stuff!!!!

I am ready for the next generation of carvers, I hope the tiki world is ready too.

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 11:34 am   Permalink

Wonnaful, wonnaful, Kirby! Now is that a painting or a carving? ....some will ask after I just made that post above. It's a WALL HANGING, like any good Witco piece.... a painting with wood.

The thing with a reprint of the BOT is, it's not only getting it printed, it is also all about DISTRIBUTION.

kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 12:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-16 04:46, RasVegas wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-09-14 08:04, kirby wrote:
I know we are not supposed to talk about religion here on T.C. But After reading the Book of Tiki, I finally see the Light, Hallelujah! I now Regularly attend services with friends at there homes,and Temples and now have a weekly "Prayer" circle at my home.. I Love to Spread The Good word..Just the other night, I met a man and asked him "Have you read the Book" He said " No, So I ministered to him for 30 minutes while drinking some "Holy" water. I told Him all the great changes he could expect, if he would only except its message of hope.It change my Life it could now change yours... If you are reading this and have not excepted the message I encourage you to do so now!! Let us Pray...

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2010-09-14 08:12 ]

Well done my "brother in Sven"! In this case, your discussion of religion here on TC...all is forgiven. I have set up an alter in my closet with fruit, incense, frankence and myrrh which surround Sven's book. I have also shaved my head except for a pony tail in the back of my head. I now where a tiki imprinted smoking jacket at all times like Huge Heffner. Thinking about starting up a commune in Oregon called Sveneesh where I will buy 50 Rolls Royce cars and be surrounded by lots of girls or a harem. We will all wear said smoking jacket. Anybody interested?
Your post was absolutely genius and I am not trying overshadow such genius! Beautiful!! Just thought I'd have a little fun myself! Very, very well done my brother. I'm still laughing!!

Amen!

I guess that's why they call the Book of Tiki "the old testament."

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 12:08 pm   Permalink

Congrats on the show Sven. It's nice that you are explaining why some artist or carvers are not in the show but that should not be needed.

As someone who has done art shows in the past and is close enough to hear any news going on at M Modern or the Shag store it always pisses me of when an artist protest or gives you grief for not choosing them.

It is the gallery and curators choice of concept and what will match it best.

sometimes you can't fit all the artist or you don't think it's cost effective with larger pieces and far destinations shipping too.

or a gallery do's not want to show a piece that is already SOLD to someone else and not get a cut.......that is just good business sense.

I know this is not Very PC to say,but with a forum like tiki central you would think that all artist would still support the show with there fellow friends that are in the show.

This is just my own opinion ..............

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation