FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The 10 Years Book of Tiki Anniversary Show Opening
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 12:25 pm   Permalink

How about making BOT available in digital format for viewing on a computer (or Kindle or iTablet) ?

This would eliminate the overhead of physical printing and distribution while at the same time "spreading the faith".

Also I think the BOT brand could be leveraged for other things. How about "Sven-wear" like an Aloha shirt with an abstract pattern featuring images of the BOT cover. I would buy that.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 7:59 pm   Permalink

Way to go Kirbs!
That is an awesome commanding piece
deserving of wallspace at this momentous exhibition!
And Dawn....Your pieces are always PURE polypop!
We grabbed one for our job at Hawaiian Island Creations
late 2000-early 2001
and,as designers
it provided so much "vibe"and artistic reference
for fabric prints,tees,colorways and island life
that just inspired the whole art dept.)
Loved it so much,i bought one for the personal collection at the studio library.
It wasn't until,after being introduced to Holden by Drew Brophy
that the whole scene began to unfold before my eyes...
and i was hooked!
And finally realized how important this book was
and how,by recording the previous Polypop period
it had given birth to a resurgence!
Anyways,here's my two offerings for the show...

This first piece was inspired by the Kahiki Moai on page 146
I love the fact that he's in a little grotto!
"After Hours"
cel vinyl and acrylic on wood
with a Bamboo Ben frame! How authentic is that?
18x26"

This second piece acted as a companion piece
and was inspired by the PNG flavor of the ephemera within the BOT
Also the menus and photos of the interiors really inspired me as well...
"the Lively Conversation"
cel vinyl and acrylic on wood
with a Bamboo Ben frame
18x26"

Looking forward to this Momentous Event!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiBeast
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-19 05:08 am   Permalink

I've had my BOT for about 8 years I think- I wish there were a way to know what exact print I got.. like a mug... there was some pencil markings on the front page when I got it... I wonder...

When I worked with a creative team of 35+ video game developers,
I cant tell you how often friends would take a break from crunch mode, come to my desk area,
and look at the BOT. And back then, I looked at it to escape the insanity!

Now, my BOT influences me every day. I am part of the same religious group Kirby writes about!
--"Holy" - I knew there was a reason I always say that!--

I have to say- even being of the tech world, I think I prefer the book version over an on line version...(no offence JOHN-O!) I guess because a digital version of this would not do justice to the vibe of holding it in your hands, flipping the pages...praying...and preaching the good word from the Holy Book...

I will buy the updated version when I can, I will buy the shirt suggested, and of course could never think to part with it.

Congrats to all parties, missing the event will be a thorn of crowns.
HOLY BOT!

View Profile of TikiBeast Send a personal message to TikiBeast  Email TikiBeast     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 12:59 am   Permalink

Kenny, I love your pieces, proud to have them in the exhibit. And I'm happy to hear about all the goodness my book has brought into peoples' lives. I am weary of becoming too commercial, so I am branching into other things like CDs and mugs carefully. And doing it still more for the fun than for the money, considering the market is very small. But that's how most folks that create Tiki do it, for the pleasure of creation, not the dough.

Re the BOT printings, they can be told apart thus: The first printing of the BOT (2000) was the hardcover with the padding. The second printing, also dated 2000, had some mistakes corrected: In printing one, the match book cover of the Zombie Hut page 34 of the Pre-Tiki chapter had a printer instruction in German over it: "Linie rausschaben" (scrape out line), which was removed in the 2nd printing. So if you have that white text over that image in your hardcover issue, it's the first printing.

I would consider an electronic issue of the BOT, not for myself, but for my son's generation. But then it wouldn't just be a matter of scanning it in 1:1, those kids are spoiled nowadays. E-readers expect interactive bells and whistles, images to click on that make other things happen, and background music and so on, which would make the book an entirely different animal. Then again, the way the images are laid out in the book is already a little like a filmic narrative, the putting them in context to each other is somewhat similar to links. But it would be a whole 'nother project -which, granted, could be fun- yet perhaps better kept for my retirement. Anyway, in my opinion, viewing still art in a book let's the imagination fly more. But I can see that that will probably change with the next generations.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-10-05 15:46 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 02:22 am   Permalink

I have to agree with TikiBeast on this one, a digital copy for the Kindle, Nook, or iTablet would just not be the same. Those, are more for traditional novels I would think, not a novel with lots of accompanying pictures. But who knows where technology will lead us in the next years. But still, nothing beats the real thing.

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 07:53 am   Permalink

As someone who uses the book for reference I have to say its much easier to look at a picture in a book than it is on a screen.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 11:04 am   Permalink

BOT is probably thee best document to date on the world of the Tiki in all of it's essence.

same goes with Tiki Modern, both of those books have been my bibles on everything regarding the proper Polynesian pop subculture.

DARK&TIKI

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 11:37 am   Permalink

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103449696384393#!/event.php?eid=103449696384393

made a Facebook event for those of you that wanna RSVP and spread the word out for Sven!

Looking forward to it!

DARK&TIKI

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 7:59 pm   Permalink

Happy Birthday Bosko!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jetson
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 02:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-20 11:37, carlosrossi wrote:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103449696384393#!/event.php?eid=103449696384393

made a Facebook event for those of you that wanna RSVP and spread the word out for Sven!

Looking forward to it!

Awesome. I was gonna do it but I wasn't sure if there was one already

View Profile of Jetson Send a personal message to Jetson  Email Jetson Goto the website of Jetson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 02:50 am   Permalink

Thank You Carlos, very useful for those Facebookers.

And yes, Happy B-day to the first, and most humble, of Tiki Revival artists. Bosko will have another solo show at M-Modern after my Book of Tiki show ends. Congrats, Pal!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 1:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-21 02:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank You Carlos, very useful for those Facebookers.

no problem Sven! just lending a helping hand, is anyone staying at the Caliente Tropics resort? I think I might get a room and see if we can have a little room party action!

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 08:11 am   Permalink

Here's my piece for the Exhibit:

Welcome to the Tiki Party! 11x14, acrylic on canvas.

I had a heck of a time coming up with something for the show. I finally got an idea that I liked, and then it went through several permutations to get to the final piece.

Since it's the BOT's 10 year anniversary, I wanted to feature 10 classic tiki culture tikis, and then I thought give 'em all mugs, and its a tiki party! So then, I gave them all vintage tiki mugs!

I only own the Tiki Style book, but I used it extensively for reference. A reprinting of the BOT would be great... less eye strain for me!

Congratulations on an awesome milestone, Sven, and thank you so much for allowing me to participate in this momentous exhibit!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 4:10 pm   Permalink

nice work tobunga!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-24 07:16 am   Permalink

What a fun party! All the "usual suspects" populating the Tiki universe. Thank You Eric!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-09-24 14:45 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation