FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » new threads we need on Tiki Central
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
new threads we need on Tiki Central
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 07:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-02 20:17, JOHN-O wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-02 19:53, MadDogMike wrote:
....is the golden age of Tiki Central over?

Of course it is.

And Mike, "latecomers" like you and me missed out on it.

But you don't need the internet to order cocktails in the Tiki bar. THAT'S the real Tiki Culture !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-02 20:18 ]

Amen to that! If you still get chills down your spine when hearing a beautiful old Hapa Haole song like "sweet someone", then you don't really need whatever the current concept of "Tiki" is.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-03 07:37, lucas vigor wrote:

Amen to that! If you still get chills down your spine when hearing a beautiful old Hapa Haole song like "sweet someone", then you don't really need whatever the current concept of "Tiki" is.

great sentiment lucas. i am Not an expert on tiki but i do like it and that is why i am here, to learn and enjoy. IMHO, it doesn't matter if you know the complete tiki history and are a purist, but rather that you enjoy it and want to learn more and are trying to keep it alive even if you are not expert purist. flame on time prolly. oh well such is life.

pssst. i don't care.

[ This Message was edited by: talo ka 2010-10-03 13:27 ]

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 2:18 pm   Permalink

Since I am self diagnosed as having adult ADD and can't concentrate on too many of the threads in Bilge, because of all the words, I say we should have more threads that have lots of pictures.

How 'bout a "photo disassociation" thread?
Or.... pictures of clouds that look like something other than clouds.
Or... pictures of your migrating moles and its distance traveled with original location, current location and projected location.

Ah ha!! A thread that posts no words OR pictures!?!? I could read pages and pages of that in NO time.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 8:41 pm   Permalink

My 2˘:
I'm primarily a mug collector, and the Tiki Marketplace forum is very valuable to me. Granted, the number of eBay ads can be annoying, but I appreciate having a place for TC'ers to offer stuff to others.
Eric

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-04 08:03 am   Permalink

New threads we need, I propouse:

*The Hanfords™ Tiki Academy Awards
*Strange coincidences, synchronicity, serendipity, chance and weirdness like that.
*Why Tiki? (Why you like it so much?)

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-04 08:13 am   Permalink

* The Revivalist Revisionist
* Late Post- Modern Tiki
* Purists Only

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 08:46 am   Permalink

*Strange coincidences, synchronicity, serendipity, chance and weirdness like that.

* The Revivalist Revisionist

* Late Post- Modern Tiki

I was fine with this thread as just another derailed late night toss off. But then Zeta goes and makes suggestions for a few threads which could actually be genuinely interesting...How the hell do I deal with that???

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-04 11:41 am   Permalink

Hey, before we get all derailed from some of the great brainstorming here, I think it's essential to point out that this is not an anti-dinner thread. Some of my best friends eat dinner. The point is that there are nuances and variations that are left uncovered by the existing threads, and they're crying out for new threads. Sure there's a thread called What did you "Make" for Dinner. But not a single one of Boris' great ideas for dinner-related threads overlaps with that one. Let's give credit where it's due - that's some good creative thinking there by Boris, without stepping on anybody's toes with existing threads. If we all just put our heads together, we can come up with some great new threads for TC, such as...

What did you "Eat" for Dinner?
(Note, the other thread has its rule that "you have to make it yourself" so this thread is ENTIRELY different)

What did you "Prepare" for Lunch?

What did you "Consume" for Breakfast?

What did you "Snack On" between Meals?

Do you "Brush" your teeth after a meal?

As for whether there should be a distinction between tiki dinner and just any old dinner in the "Tiki Drinks and Food" forum, let me just remind everyone that it's not called "Tiki Drinks and Tiki Food". So I don't know about you all, but that reads to me as ANY FOOD! Plus, as AtomicTikiPunk says, tiki is all about fun, food, and drink, so ANY discussion of food is on topic for TC, right? Well anyway, THIS THREAD is all about new threads, so maybe what we really mean to say is that there should be a new thread about whether THAT THREAD should be where it is.

As for the other ideas posted here, some of you are being a little cryptic as to the new thread ideas you're suggesting. F'rinstance, I wasn't sure what to make of this one:

Quote:
On 2010-10-02 20:17, JOHN-O wrote:
But you don't need the internet to order cocktails in the Tiki bar. THAT'S the real Tiki Culture !!

New thread: JOHN-O's guide to the REAL tiki culture

I couldn't really tell what the thread suggestion was; this topic may have been more or less covered already in other posts, but not in its OWN THREAD, so I say, make a new thread! But this following one is a great idea, right in line with the spirit of THIS thread.

Quote:
On 2010-10-04 08:03, Zeta wrote:
*Why Tiki? (Why you like it so much?)

YES YES YES!! Exactly! You don't even need to run a search for that one! I think we can all just safely assume this is a topic that has never been covered (at least not under that subject name) here on TC.

I think we're turning a corner. Keep em coming!

-Randy
(ps - I know this may come off as teasing some people; please keep in mind this is Bilge and just kidding and all that.)

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 1:09 pm   Permalink

How to score on a bar crawl!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-04 1:23 pm   Permalink

I can Digg it....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 04:30 am   Permalink

What camera did you use to take the photo of what you made for dinner?

What room in the house was the photo taken of what you made for dinner?

Was the water in the sink too hot and you had to wait for it to cool down before you did the dishes after eating what you made for dinner?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 08:32 am   Permalink

new threads we need on Tiki Central?

How about one GOOD lucas vigor thread...
i'd settle for just one!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 08:35 am   Permalink

Huh ?? The Rhesus Monkeys' thread is the funniest (i.e. greatest) one around !!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37452&forum=13&20

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 10:05 am   Permalink

How about a "Forbidden on TC" thread. It would contain such over used gems as:

"Why don't you just have a Mai Tai and relax?"
"Where's the aloha?"
"I am not a purist and I don't know what tiki is, but I like it."
"Look at this long round log shaped thing I just put a face on and now call it a tiki! What do you think?"
"First carving"
"Parrots"
"Pirates"
"I hate TC, but here is my crap to sell/event to hype, that I want you to give me your money for."
"Woofmut"

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 10:23 am   Permalink

Or my all time favorite: TINO

(Tiki in name only)

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation