FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-30 7:06 pm   Permalink

Robert, you cast your pendands in open faced molds with slip instead of using solid clay like a push/sprig mold right? Seems like that worked out good for you. The pendant I have is flat on the back, did you have to sand them down on the back or did you somehow refill them with slip after the shrinkage?

Thanks,
Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-30 8:22 pm   Permalink

Mike, I sand them down smooth. When they are just dried slip the sand easily. Are you going to try making some?
-Rob

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-30 8:55 pm   Permalink

So they must have had a dip in the middle where the water absorbed out of the slip before you sanded them.

I'm working on a mold for some coasters, wondering about the difference between slip casting and press molding. I've press molded flat items and slipcast mugs but never tried slip casting a flat object

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-06-30 9:21 pm   Permalink

Howzit Mike, I made a couple pendants with the slip and it would shrink down in the middle after the moisture was sucked out.. Once it sucks down a bit I'd just refill it with more slip.. I suppose with the coaster you could just make taller than what it should be and sand it down like rob said, should work fine.. BTW, those coasters are great!

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-28 9:59 pm   Permalink

How's my bowl coming? Have you fired up the kiln? I need that bowl for Dan before he goes through tiki withdrawl - not a pretty sight! Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-29 7:47 pm   Permalink

Oh nooo, we must not let Dan go onto Tik withdrawl! The plan is to get it fired this weekend and shipped early next week. Sorry it has taken so long.

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-29 9:34 pm   Permalink

Terrific, thanks Rob, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SeaDawg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-07 6:41 pm   Permalink

Really glad to see you guys got your kiln. Looking forward to some cool tiki stuff.

View Profile of SeaDawg Send a personal message to SeaDawg  Email SeaDawg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 9:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks SeaDawg...

My new Mug design "Kamalo" finally made it through the mold making process. (I'll tell you about the name "Kamalo" later)
I took Grog's advise and it's been drying in the Hot Kihei Sun since Thursday. I'll pour my first couple mugs tonight! Nothing like a new design to get you motivated and excited about making mugs!

Here are some "preview" photos...

Kamalo ready to go under...

My first 4 part mold! (now how do I get it apart?)

With some effort and a tip from Wendy, it came apart nicely.

The 4 parts have been sunning themselves all weekend. (I rotate them to keep them tanning evenly.)

More photos soon!

www.stuckonmaui.com

ebtiki

Posted: 2011-08-08 9:56 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to seeing Kamalo!

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2011-08-08 11:59 pm   Permalink

Stop teasing us Rob, let's see Kamalo already!!;)

btw, great job on the mold!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 01:34 am   Permalink

From what i can see from the picture, the design looks great Rob. I can't wait to see how you go with your first pour. A 4 part mold i'm finding a little intimidating at the moment but i know i'll have to tackle one soon, rather than later.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 11:37 am   Permalink

Thanks Swizzle and Ebtiki for the nice comments. Swizzle, I've been watching your progress, your mugs are great! Ebtiki, I'm waiting to see a photo of your mug display! Get that collection out of the boxes!

Here are the first two out of the mold. Wow it's nice to work with a new mold. Everything is so smooth and the seams are so small. I'll add the teeth lines to each one as part of the clean-up. I have one in the mold now and a couple more tonight.

Yo Scott, when do you want to bisque fire? I'll have 5 ready by Thursday, then maybe we can glaze fire this weekend! Save room for me in the kiln!

www.stuckonmaui.com

Beachbumz

Posted: 2011-08-10 8:46 pm   Permalink

BRA - Kamalo looks great!! Can't wait to see him all dressed up and ready for one mai tai..
Kiln's hot as type but will be ready for a bisque firing anytime.. I had a full load but I'll start pouring..

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-19 8:18 pm   Permalink

First batch of "Artist proofs" of the Kamalo Mug made it into our little kiln last night.
Hopefully they all survive! We will know soon!

The kiln fits 8 mugs which so far has been just right.

www.stuckonmaui.com

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation