FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Maui Tiki Ceramics - New KALA Mug/Vase Page 14
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Maui Tiki Ceramics - New KALA Mug/Vase Page 14
ebtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-19 8:26 pm   Permalink

Wow - can't wait to see the mugs you have cooking!
I have about 80 mugs on on shelves, but (sadly) the others will be in their boxes a while longer.
e.

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 12:08 pm   Permalink

Well I'm proud to "officially" introduce "KAMALO" my new mug design. here is the story behind the name.

A few months ago I was paddleboarding and had a 12 foot Tiger Shark swim under my board in 5 feet of water. The Shark was HUGE. Tiger Sharks are the baddest and meanest sharks we have in Hawaii. Their girth is amazing and much more impressive than the length. I had just gotten on my board after a fall and he swam under me just as I stood back up. The beast continued on towards some surfers so I followed him to warn them. Well, I guess he didn't like to be followed, because he turned around and swam straight at me, coming to the surface with his jagged dorsal fin out of the water. Terrified, I crouched low to keep my balance and I positioned my paddle to hit him if he became aggressive. As he passed right along side of me he kept getting higher and higher out of the water. I actually scraped his back with my paddle as he swam by. His skin against my paddle was like sandpaper. As he got perfectly even with me he proceeded to bump the back of my board with his massive head. Lucky for me I must not have smelled very good as he turned out to sea and I quickly paddled towards shore.

Here is my shortend version of a Hawaiian ledgend

Hawaiian ledgend tells the story on the island of Molokai of Kamalo and his two sons.

Long ago on the island of Molokai lived Kupa, the high chief, and Kamalo. Kamalo had two sons. Kupa had a house constructed in the Mapulehu valley. Kamalo lived nearby, in the village of Kaluaaha, which faced the channel between Molokai and Maui.

Inside Chief Kupa’s temple, two very special drums were kept. Kupa used the beating of these drums to communicate his thoughts to his priests over great distances. One day, when Kupa was away on a fishing trip, Kamalo's sons entered the chief's home and marvelled at the magnificent drums, and although their father had taught them the ways of the temple and that things sacred to the gods must not be touched, temptation overcame them, and the boys began to beat hard upon the drums.

When the chief returned and heard about what had happened, he became furious, killing the boys and presenting their bodies at the alter in sacrifice.

Kamalo became obsessed with revenge. No match for Kupa on his own, he consulted with prophets and seers throughout Molokai, but each one was fearful of Kupa and would not help Kamalo. Eventually, Kamalo came to the cliffs that overlook Kalawao and Kalaupapa. Down at the bottom there was an ocean cave of the shark god, Kauhuhu. No one had ever survived a meeting with Kauhuhu without being eaten. Kamalo talked his way past the two serpents guarding the cave and hid until the Shark God returned. When Kauhuhu returned he leapt upon Kamalo, jaws open to reveal sharp, shiny teeth. Kamalo quickly cried out for mercy and recounted his story in detail. Kauhuhu was overcome with pity and agreed to kelp him with his revenge.

Soon after Kauhuhu brought a great storm to Hawaii. It grew rapidly and came across the channel and rested in the highest peaks above the valley where Kupa lived. The rains brought flood waters down the mountains, washing Kupa and his sacred
drums out to sea.

I can relate to Kamalo in the fact that we both came face to face with the Shark God without being eaten and thus named my new mug KAMALO.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-01 1:17 pm   Permalink

Robert, I was thinking just last night that you hadn't posted in a while. Great story and a great mug. I think that shark encounters is one of the reasons I don't surf (that and being 120 miles from the ocean) I really like that Celadon-type glaze (center)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 3:30 pm   Permalink

Robert,

Awesome mug, as usual, I'm with Mike on the Celadon glaze. Great story and legend too. You're just lucky it wasn't
Tintorera!

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 5:25 pm   Permalink

Awesome shark story and a sweet mug...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki

Posted: 2011-09-01 7:15 pm   Permalink

Great story and mug!!

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-01 7:45 pm   Permalink

Great story, mug and photos. I loved looking into your kiln. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 8:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I really like that glaze too. I hope I can duplicate it again. These 10 artist proofs will go on sale next week sometime (I'll keep one for myself). Hopefully I'll have time over the holiday weekend to post them on my website for sale.

I'm going to fire more this weekend.

Aloha! Rob

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-02 06:32 am   Permalink

Very cool mugs!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 8:37 pm   Permalink

Just got these "Customs" out of the kiln today!

I'm stoked with how they turned out! These will be listed for sale on Ooga-Mooga for a week or so before hitting eBay.

www.stuckonmaui.com

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 9:15 pm   Permalink

Wow Rob, those Kamalo's look awesome.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2011-09-06 11:40 pm   Permalink

Brada Rob, I have a new favorite of your mugs I think... Those Kamalo's turned out awesome man.. I REALLY like how the headdress wraps around the backside li dat and the glazes are perfect..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 3:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks Swizzle and BeachBumz. I took some better photos last night. I'll post them soon. I'm really stoked with how they turned out. I can't wait to get started on the next one!

Here is a photo I took with my iPhone. It shows the true color better.

www.stuckonmaui.com

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2011-09-07 15:33 ]

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-04 1:12 pm   Permalink

Yes, I'm still alive and Making Mugs! I know you get worried about me. Just got so much going on....

The mug above on the right is for sale on eBay right now!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230681401708?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I'm also selling a Custom Carson "Red wood" mug with a cowrie shell necklace too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230681399926?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I just finished these 2:

And have a couple more in the works!

More photos to come!

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers www.stuckonmaui.com

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-04 2:24 pm   Permalink

Maui Wowie!!! Love the lizard

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation