FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-07 8:10 pm   Permalink

I'm excited. I got my own spray gun for glaze and my own (used) compressor. I can't wait to try them out this weekend. Going to Bisque fire tonight so hopefully we can glaze fire over the weekend.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

[ This Message was edited by: MauiTiki 2011-10-07 20:10 ]

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-08 08:16 am   Permalink

Hi Rob, they look terrific. For the Zombie Hut mugs we found it too hard to spray paint the insides so we still did the pour in and out. When the insides were done we spray painted the outside. We did three layers of spray and it all turn out. We used a banding wheel and spun it. Every so often we scraped it clean and started again. Best wishes, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-08 8:47 pm   Permalink

Hi Wendy, that is essentially how I'm doing it. I've been using Beachbumz' sprayer until now. Pour the insides and spray the outsides. Scott's wife found a cheap "lazy susan" at Ross so we have been using that to spin the mugs as we spray. It works great. The kiln is cooling now and down to 200 degrees, so I'm about ready to peak inside. Just a bisque fire so not too exciting, but hopefully we can glaze fire Monday (I'm off work for the holiday).

I'm amazed how well the new Kamalo mugs are doing on eBay, so I got to keep them coming for all you Tiki mug collectors out there. If anyone wants a custom one just PM me!

Wendy, it looks like I'll be back in Sacramento for the holidays, so hopefully I'll be able to come for a visit!

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikeyTiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-08 9:13 pm   Permalink

Sounds like you just about have all the stuff you need to make your mugs yourself now, does that mean it will speed up production?

Keep up the great work! (The Kamalos look fantastic!)

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-08 9:24 pm   Permalink

Hey Rob, the Kamalo mugs are looking great. Good job. I'm thinking i might invest in a spray gun and compressor myself. Just wondering how you avoid any overspray going inside the mug when you are spraying near the top. Also, how many coats are you doing?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-11 11:40 am   Permalink

Mikey, Yeah production is definitely more under my own control now. I still have a day job and kids playing sports on the weekends, but I don't have to wait for my friend to have his stuff ready to fire before firing. Scott (Beachbumz) and I share the kiln so we try to fire together, but it doesn't hold us up. Most the time we are pushing each other to get stuff done so we can fire together.

Swizzle, I usually pour the glaze on the inside first, then roll a piece of paper and put it on the inside when I spray. What I've learned is that the over-spray is usually not thick enough to even show. The thicker glaze on the inside just eats it up and you don't even see it. I also like to spray at an upward angle when I spray at the top so it doesn't get a lot of overspray on the inside anyway. Be sure to get an industrial sprayer not a small airbrush. The glaze is thick and doesn't flow through an airbrush easily. Depending on the glaze I do two or three coats. I'm still learning and really need to measure the glaze then spray a specific amount. It's hard to count coats when some coats can be thicker than others. If I could measure out like 1/4 cup then use it all each time It could be really consistent. 1/4 cup would be too much, but in the future I'll start measuring. Some glazes can change dramatically depending on how thick you apply it.

www.stuckonmaui.com

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-13 8:14 pm   Permalink

Aloha, those 4 Kamalo mugs in the above photo are out of the kiln!

www.stuckonmaui.com

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-13 8:49 pm   Permalink

Great work Robert. The lizard turned out cool!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-28 7:36 pm   Permalink

MadDogMike told me about a book on "press Molds" somewhere in this thread. I was able to buy it used on Amazon for $3. (it cost more than $3 to ship it) So when Okolemaluna Tiki Lounge contacted me about making 110 Pendants for their 1 Year Anniversary party I jumped on the chance.

It turned out to be a larger project than I anticipated, but it was a great learning experience and I helped out some friends in the process.

These photos were all taken with my iPhone so they are not the best quality.

I started with a sketch of Okolemaluna's signature Tiki:

Then used some heat sensitive clay to make the master (following VanTiki's instructions)

I actually made three molds from this master to make the production go faster. I should have made 5 or more molds, because after pressing the clay it can take 30 minutes to an hour before the pendant will come out of the mold. That limited me to no more than 12 pendants on weekdays.

I then created a "Stamp" so I could stamp the "1 year Anniversary" on the back. We decided to use "Okolemaluna" rather than "Anniversary."

So the pressing and stamping began....

The pendants started to pile up...

After a three weeks of NON-STOP pressing, and clean-up they were ready for their first firing:

Next I painted black glaze on the backs and wiped the excess away with a sponge to make the words visible.

I sprayed glaze on 9 pendants at a time with various color combinations and they went back in the kiln...

The best part is always opening the kiln to see the finished art.

They are boxed up and off to the Big island!
Don't miss the party on December 5th!!

www.stuckonmaui.com

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-28 7:40 pm   Permalink

Congrats on a successful big project! I picked up a lot of cool tips from that book too, well worth the 3 bucks.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-28 7:48 pm   Permalink

My stamp could have been better which would have saved me HOURS of clean-up. Next time I'm making a stamp from a digital file! Maybe I'll use claystamp.com or buy a rubber stamp making kit. Anyone have experience stamping rubber stamps into clay?

www.stuckonmaui.com

MikeyTiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-28 8:31 pm   Permalink

I think the pendants turned out great, thanks for sharing the process with us!

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-28 11:47 pm   Permalink

Those are great - I want one (or two)!

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-29 01:14 am   Permalink

Nice work Rob. Unfortunately i have a habit of starting new projects before i finish old ones. Pendants/tiles is on my list of next of things to do list.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-29 04:25 am   Permalink

Aloha MauiTiki,

I have enjoyed your thread and following your beautiful work! your pendents turned out great, congrats! I was wondering if you could shed some light for me, on the brown ones with what looks like natural or yellow lines, I've been trying to get that effect on some of my Kahiki pieces. For some reason I just can't wrap my head around it.

Mahalo,
Linda

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation