FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Maui Tiki Ceramics - Gearing up for Tiki Oasis 2014!
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-03 9:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

No "instant gratification" in doing ceramics.

Indeed!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 7:22 pm   Permalink

Yes Grog and VanTiki, No instant Gratification... In Fact "Da Big Puka" mug is STILL in progress. It's been bisque fired and now has the first couple layers of Glaze. Still needs two more layers airbrushed on. These custom mugs are a ton of work.

Also in the photo below is some Lava cinders on the Kaikaina mug I'm going to try out. Plus I'm making a custom for a friend on Island. He's a Tiki mug collector and is building a hot rod. His car is not finished yet but has already been seen by most of you in Brad Parker's "FASTER THAN DISASTER" painting. You'll notice the Spider web grill in the painting, and now the spider web on the mug.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-23 11:40 pm   Permalink

Here's Gecko'z hand holding one of my Geckoma's. Now you are doing one too. That guy is going down in tiki history. His necklace weighs 5 pounds. I tried to wear it for 5 minutes and got a neck ache.

Here he is with wife and baby at La Mariana.

My tribute to him.

I hope it was ok to post these with yours. It's just fun to see them all together. I want one of yours for our collection. I'll send this on to him to view. Great work, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-24 11:07 am   Permalink

Thanks for the pics Wendy! I have a Geckoma mug! (not as many as you though) I've been keeping Gecko up to date with the progress of my "Big Puka" mug. He stayed with me on Maui for a couple days so I've seen the big Puka necklace in person, although I never tried it on. It really attracts attention and a lot of questions from people where ever he goes.

He made one of his Milan Guanko mugs wearing a puka necklace, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Here is a photo of BeachBumz, Gecko and I last time he visited us on Maui.

I'll post pics when it's done.

www.stuckonmaui.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-02-24 4:51 pm   Permalink

Hey Brada Rob, I remember that picture. That puka shell is bigger than any I've ever seen.. I think that necklace must weigh 5 pounds! I'm liking that big puka carson mug, very cool...

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-24 6:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-24 16:51, Beachbumz wrote:
Hey Brada Rob, I remember that picture.

Yeah, I had to duck down in the photo so you can see the words behind me....

www.stuckonmaui.com

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-24 7:54 pm   Permalink

I love that threesome photo, I stole it with save as. So what exactly are they selling at the Gecko store? I have one of the Gilligan's Island tikis on the way to my home for Dan's birthday I hope it has the necklace. Here is one more project where its used. He is making my bowl so we'll have to see if he remembers the necklace.

Wendy

ps he is correcting the missing I

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-02 08:11 am   Permalink

I want one of your bowls, don't forget us, Wendy

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-02 10:40 am   Permalink

Hi Wendy, I think Gecko Balls are just Chocolate Covered Macadamia Nuts in fancy packaging. I haven't forgot about your bowl. I'll get it started and send you a PM when it's time to start choosing colors. It's good to see you making molds, I made a new one over the weekend, it's a lot of work to get them right, but we are learning and getting better each time.

Aloha! Rob

www.stuckonmaui.com

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-02 11:38 am   Permalink

Ahhhhh!

Swizzle just posted photos of a mold he is doing and its very different from how I do them. I'd love to see photos as you make a mold. Wendy

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-02 12:03 pm   Permalink

Hmmmmm, I have had several people tell me that what Swizzle is doing is not the best way. That was what I thought would be easy and wouldn't require all the clay when I first started. Hopefully his teacher knows what he is doing. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

I do it much like you except that I create a cone of clay around the base of the sculpt and fill it with plaster as my first step. When pouring the sides it looks much like the clay cone at the top of the mug, I just have a plaster cone at the bottom. I carve holes into it before I pour the sides so that it fits correctly into the sides of the mold.

I have also built a box with sides that move in for smaller mugs. This way I don't have to build a box each time or use clamps. I have photos somewhere of the box. I'll post them for you to see.

Keep up the Mug Making everyone!

www.stuckonmaui.com

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-02 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-02 12:03, MauiTiki wrote:
Hmmmmm, I have had several people tell me that what Swizzle is doing is not the best way. That was what I thought would be easy and wouldn't require all the clay when I first started. Hopefully his teacher knows what he is doing. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

That's interesting to hear Rob. When I first started the class I actually took in a few pictures of Wendys mold photos ( I hope thats OK Wendy?) and my teacher said that the way she is showing me how to do it is the way that the "professionals" do it. She has been doing it for a long time and does a lot of slipcasting herself so as this is my first mold i'm interested to see how it works out. It certainly looks far simpler to me if it is just going to be a two/three piece mold but when you start doing intricate molds using five or six pieces, after thinking about it myself, I get the feeling that you would need to pack clay around the master in order to avoid undercuts and to get the right shapes so the mold pulls apart easily. I'm not sure how much of that she has done herself.

Like all of us newbies to mug/mold making it is a learning process and whilst I know I could have gone it alone and done this by myself, the reason I took the class was to give me a kick up the bum and also to have someone guide me through the steps so that I wouldn't have to learn by my mistakes, so to speak, and get it right the first time. If/when I make another one I could end up doing things differently, but so far this technique looks a lot easier to me at the moment. Although I need to wait until it's finished first as I might end up having to eat my own words.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-02 3:45 pm   Permalink

MauiTiki and Swizzle, all of us sharing how we do these is wonderful. Please don't stop. Rob, I hadn't figured out how to do the bottom like you just showed us. Thank you. I thought it was done with some other material than clay so on my bowl mold I did a huge slab for the bottom. This will be how I will do it on my next bowl mold. I am so excited to know this technique. Big Smile, Wendy

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-02 4:33 pm   Permalink

Swizzle, This will work out for you, it's just a different method. When I wanted to make a mold I didn't even have any extra clay so I thought this would be a good way. Gecko and another person told me it was not how they do it. It's hard to know, the way yours looks it should come out fine. I would think you need some space at the top because the slip water absorbs into the plaster the slip level goes down about an inch before it's thick enough to pour out.

I tried adding some plaster to holes in an existing mold and the dried plaster immediately sucks the moisture out of the wet plaster making it crumble. It will be interesting to see how you fill the holes below your mug.

I'm no expert, that's for sure, so be sure to keep us posted on your teacher's techniques. We're all learning...That's why were are on this thread!!

Wendy, I'll find the photos so you can see what the next step looks like.

www.stuckonmaui.com

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-02 4:36 pm   Permalink

Here's what it looks like to me, Swizzle can correct me if I'm wrong.

The master is laid on a slab of clay and the plaster is poured in to cover the master half way. Next the top of the plaster is coated and the second half is poured. Finally, the mold is flipped over, the clay is removed, and the rest is poured. This time there is no coating used so that the 3rd pour becomes part of the first pour. There are a couple of potential problems with this method; the biggest is that it won't work with a complex form since the part line will always be straight (since the top surface of the poured plaster will be flat). In the first pour, you could also get bubbles trapped under the master since they can't rise.

Swizzle, I think this is how most molds are made.

After the first pour hardens, the mold is flipped over and the the clay is removed. The plaster is coated and the second half is poured. This allows bubbles to rise and escape, it also allows a curved part line if needed.

As far as mixing plaster by feel, it's the method I use It works fine if you are just making a mold to pull a limited number of casts. If you are doing mass production work, it's better to measure everything to produce the optimal quality mold.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation