FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Tiki Food Recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tiki Food Recipes
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-16 3:07 pm   Permalink

I'll see what I can find on the Chieftan Chicken, in the meantime here's a little sweet something to hold you over

Kraken Balls
2 cups finely chopped nuts
1 1/2 cups crushed ginger snaps
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup Kraken
Powdered sugar

Combine nuts, crumbs, honey, and booze. Chill about 15 minutes. Roll into small balls, coat in powdered sugar. Let sit a day or so before serving. Makes 24-30 depending on how big your balls are.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WSWahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-16 4:41 pm   Permalink

That recipe looks good for the holidays as I am hosting both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Will let you know how they went over. So 18-24 balls eh?

View Profile of WSWahine Send a personal message to WSWahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-19 12:04 pm   Permalink

Love this thread, but I'd also love to see some accompanying pics! I'll be sure to contribute asap

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lovelybunchofcoconuts

Posted: 2010-11-11 06:43 am   Permalink

I found this gem - does not have an abundance of genuine Tiki recipes, but there are many versions of Mary-Ann's coconut-cream pie.

View Profile of Lovelybunchofcoconuts Send a personal message to Lovelybunchofcoconuts      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 06:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-11 06:43, Lovelybunchofcoconuts wrote:
I found this gem - does not have an abundance of genuine Tiki recipes, but there are many versions of Mary-Ann's coconut-cream pie.

What tiki recipes DOES it have?

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lovelybunchofcoconuts

Posted: 2010-11-14 10:57 pm   Permalink

Well, I'm a little confused as to what constitutes a genuine Tiki dish. Perhaps someone could explain?

[ This Message was edited by: Lovelybunchofcoconuts 2010-11-14 23:00 ]

View Profile of Lovelybunchofcoconuts Send a personal message to Lovelybunchofcoconuts      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-11-15 12:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-14 22:57, Lovelybunchofcoconuts wrote:
Well, I'm a little confused as to what constitutes a genuine Tiki dish. Perhaps someone could explain?

Here's my take on it; Something exotic that could be served to eat for a luau or feast on a Polynesian beach.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-15 10:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-14 22:57, Lovelybunchofcoconuts wrote:

I don't think anyone can explain because it falls under the category of "I know it when I see it." But we can all opine. Since we can all opine, here's my opinion:

It's food that has Pacific/Asian roots and has been pretty well Americanized. SOMETIMES it can be American food that has been spun in a Pacific or Asian direction. To my estimation, the "Exhibit A" of this category is Trader Vic's food.

HTH,

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lovelybunchofcoconuts

Posted: 2010-11-21 7:48 pm   Permalink

Okay. Thank-you! This could be interesting!

naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-04 07:24 am   Permalink

This came out before Kahiki frozen dinners cornered the market. They were smart to call it "Polynesian Style" rather than Polynesian the same way "Tiki Style" is used instead of tiki.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-25 8:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-16 04:14, jokeiii wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-15 20:41, MadDogMike wrote:
I hope this doesn't bring the wrath of the Tiki Police down on this thread but the Bengal BBQ is only 100 yards away from the Enchanted Tiki Room so hopefully I'm OK.

To be 1000000000000% sure we're safe from the Tiki Police, you need to post the recipe for the Chieftain Chicken Skewers; with it's (delicious) "Polynesian BBQ" sauce you'd be above suspicion for treasonous and anti-Tiki behavior. In fact, Kevin Kidney would probably custom-sculpt something to bop any benighted accusers over the head with.

Just sayin'.

Jokeiii, Brudda Bear put a Facebook link to the recipe in SHOUT! but I'm gonna copy it to here so I can find it later He suggested steaming the chicken so it doesn't dry out on the grill.

Bengal BBQ
Tonkatsu Sauce (Chicken Marinade)

Ingredients

Teriyaki Sauce 1 cup
Soy Sauce 1 cup
Red Wine Vinegar 1 tblsp.
Brown Sugar 1 cup
Sherry Cooking Wine 1/2 cup
Whole Bay Leaf 2 each
Ground Black Pepper 1 tblsp.
Fresh Ginger Root 3 tblsp.
Fresh Garlic 2 tblsp.

Preparation

Mix ingredients and marinade chicken overnight in your refrigerator.

Bengal BBQ
Tahitian Sauce (Chicken)

Ingredients

Whole Cloves 4 each
Red Wine Vinegar 1 tblsp.
Catsup 1 cup
Crushed Pineapple 1/2 cup
Pineapple Juice 1/2 cup
Brown Sugar 1/2 cup
Soy Sauce 1/2 cup
Orange Juice Conc. 1/4 cup
Water 3 tblsp.

Preparation

Simmer cloves in vinegar for 5-10 minutes. Strain cloves and add other ingredients.
Bring mixture to slow boil over medium heat.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-25 9:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mike! Tasty stuff too. That Tahitian sauce is good on burgers or even steak too. Mmmmmmmm

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-01 11:20 am   Permalink

Is it the will of the people that all food recipes should be woven into this thread? In terms of research, I have some reservations, but I come here to relax and I don't want no trouble.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-01 1:28 pm   Permalink

I'm sure I've seen other food recipe threads.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-01 1:51 pm   Permalink

Professor G, if you want to play it safe you should only post recipes here with some sort of Polynesian or faux Polynesian influence since this is the "Tiki Drinks and Food" forum. If you have recipes for other good eats (like anything with BACON) they should probably be posted in "Beyond Tiki" or "Bilge"

PS, good research - this topic was the subject of an ugly battle a while back

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation