FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki Food Recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tiki Food Recipes
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-25 12:32 pm   Permalink

Made these the other day (to go with spring rolls) and figured it'd be worth posting here.

Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce

1 cup ketchup (I like Heinz Organic best, Heinz regular is my 2nd favorite)
¼ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
1 ounce pineapple juice (fresh if possible, from the carton if not...avoid the canned stuff at all costs)

Combine the ketchup, sugar, vinegar, and pineapple juice. Whisk to blend. In a small saucepan bring to a simmer, and gently cook down to the original consistency of the ketchup.

Sweet Chile Dipping Sauce

1 cup ketchup (I like Heinz Organic best, Heinz regular is my 2nd favorite)
¼ cup light brown sugar
½ cup rice wine vinegar
1 ounce pineapple juice (fresh if possible, from the carton if not...avoid the canned stuff at all costs)
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste (start easy and work you way up, it's easy to put in more, not so much to take it out)

Steep the crushed red pepper in half the vinegar. (You can do this a day or so ahead.)
Combine the ketchup, sugar, half the vinegar, and pineapple juice. Whisk to blend. In a small saucepan bring to a simmer, and gently cook down to 1 cup. Add chile-ed vinegar until you get the ratio of sweet:heat that you prefer.

There you go!

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2012-03-26 08:37 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 06:36 am   Permalink

Thanks for the recipes jokeii. One question... You mention honey in the directions, but it's not in the ingredient list. Is the Pineapple juice supposed to be honey? Or was the honey just an accidental omission?

Mahalo

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 06:46 am   Permalink

Those are nice looking, old-school sauces. All you need is a Phoenix-and-Dragon motif plate and a covered pedestal for your steamed rice and you're cranking out a classic.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 08:37 am   Permalink

Oops. Fixed. The recipe I was riffing from originally called for honey, but I found them cloyingly sweet and without depth of flavor. Looking for something Tiki-er, I swapped for pineapple juice and that hit the spot.

[ This Message was edited by: jokeiii 2012-03-26 08:39 ]

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 08:24 am   Permalink

As an offering of reparation to the Tiki Gods for my screwup above (since fixed), I offer this, Trader Vic's Javanese Saté:

At the Atlanta TV, this old-school lamb dish is a main course (5-6 chunks per skewer). If it works better for you as an appetizer for a cocktail party stand-up-with-drinks thing, do that.

LAMB:
3 T peanut oil (use canola if you must but, to me, it gets a bit "fishy-tasting" when heated)
1 T celery, chopped as finely as your patience will allow
1 T yellow onion, chopped as finely as your patience will allow
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced as finely as your patience will allow
(TIP: You CAN use the food processor, just don't turn these to slush. It won't be quite as perfect, but still very, very good)
1 bay leaf
2 t rice wine vinegar (or whatever you have, even plain white, if that's all you have)
2 t honey (I like orange blossom honey, you use whatever)
2 t Trader Vic's saté spice*
2 t fresh lemon juice
1 t finely grated lemon zest
¼ t fresh oregano leaves
Freshly ground white pepper
1 lb. piece boneless lamb leg, with ALL fat and sinew trimmed away, cut in 24 chunks of +/- ½"×1½"×2"
Coarse salt

FOR THE SAUCE:
¼ c creamy peanut butter (go for the natural stuff)
3 T unsweetened canned coconut milk (save the rest to make your own piña colada mix)
3 T butter, at room temperature
1 T soy sauce (I prefer San-J low-sodium tamari, and not because of the low sodium)
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T chili sauce (Heinz is fine, although I suspect making your own would be better...diminishing returns, etc.)

1. To marinate the lamb mix oil, celery, onions, garlic, bay leaf, vinegar, honey, saté spice, lemon juice and zest, oregano, and pepper (to taste) in a large zipperlock bag. Add lamb, squeeze all the air out, seal and and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours. Thread the lamb (one chunk per skewer if you're doing appetizers) onto the skewers. (With bamboo skewers, you want to soak them to minimize their catching fire.) If you want, you can simmer the marinade and add a bit of ketchup to turn it into a glaze.

2. For the sauce: In a blender, zap the peanut butter, coconut milk, butter, soy sauce, lemon juice, and chili sauce together until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan and heat over med.-low, stirring frequently (it WILL "catch" on the bottom of the pan otherwise...ask me how I know) until it develops a glossy sheen and is heated through, figure 1-2 min. Set sauce aside.

3. Heat your grill (or, failing that, grill pan or broiler) over high heat. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper and grill until browned on each side, 45-60 seconds per side for medium rare. Serve with a (not authentic to Trader Vic, but hey, I like it) squeeze of lime, scattering of peanuts and sauce napped on top or on the side for dipping.

* If the website (www.shoptradervics.com) were running, you could buy some. But it's not and so you can't. So, I reverse-enginnered it. No need to thank me, your slavish fawning will suffice. Here is my version:

3 parts Coriander
2 parts Turmeric,
1 part powdered Ginger
1 part Ancho chile powder
1 part Mustard powder

NOTE there is no salt in this rub. If you use it for anything else, adjust the salt accordingly. Ditto any black/white pepper.

Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 8:47 pm   Permalink

That Lamb looks incredible!!

Thanks for the fix on the sauces.

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-28 07:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-27 20:47, Q-tiki wrote:
That Lamb looks incredible!!
Thanks for the fix on the sauces.

Hey, I'm a giver.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-28 10:28 am   Permalink

I don't do lamb* but I bet those would be good with chicken or pork!

*Here is my plan for the perfect ranch ~ the German Shepherds around the perimeter protect the other animals from poachers and predators. The sheep are used to feed the dogs and to serve as decoys in case some predator makes it through the dogs

You'll notice the pig enclosure is a little bigger than the cattle, that's because pork is my favorite

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-28 2:28 pm   Permalink

MDM, if you trim the lamb fanatically (which, admittedly, may be more work than you're willing to put in) it doesn't have the off-putting gamy "lamb thing."

But this could work well with flap steak, or flank...

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 1:15 pm   Permalink

And here...my take on coconut shrimp. I love dipping them in the Sweet Chile Dipping sauce but "normal people" tend to opt of the sweet 'n' sour (as posted previously).

1 c AP flour
½ t paprika
½ t white pepper, ground pretty fine (black will also work, but won't be as pretty)
½ t cayenne pepper
¼ t fine sea salt (table salt will work also; if you use coarse salt, grind it fine first then measure)
¼ t sugar
2 lg eggs
1 c plain (unsweetened, untoasted, etc.) shredded coconut
1 c panko breadcrumbs (OR you can make your own version by grating dry bread
1 lb shrimp/prawns (21-25 count) peeled and deveined, (save shells for making stock, that stuff's gold and NO I don't like leaving the tails, use toothpicks or cocktail forks to serve, you lose a lot of tailmeat that way and the tail shell is also crucial for the stock)
3 c peanut oil (or whatever you prefer)

Set up a dredging station with three shallow bowls. One with the flour and and all the seasonings, one with the eggs (beaten with a teeny dribble of water) and one with the coconut shreds and panko mixed together. Put your oil in a heavy saucepan and heat to 325F-350F degrees.

Coat shrimp w. seasoned flour, shake off excess.
"Wash" coated shrimp with egg, let excess egg drip off
Dredge shrimp in coconut/panko

Put in the fridge and allow the breading to dry and firm a bit (15-30 min). In 2-3 batches fry the shrimp until golden brown, figure 2½ min. (You can stash them in an oven set as low as it will go.) If you're not sure about your thermometer -- or don't have one -- drop ONE shrimp and fry for 2½ minutes...if it's over/underdone adjust the temperature accordingly, never lower than 325F and never more than 350F.

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 1:17 pm   Permalink

P.S. I probably should have cooked the above a TINY bit hotter, those are a bit pale.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-02 1:49 pm   Permalink

Joke, are you trying to kill me? First the lamb that I don't like, now the shrimp that I'm deathly allergic to

But it looks real purty!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-02 7:35 pm   Permalink

You could probably do these in a chicken nugget variation!

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-11 1:22 pm   Permalink

If anyone has any Tiki food recipe requests, let me know! I'll try to rummage and find something to post here.

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-14 2:23 pm   Permalink

Tuna Poke

¼-½ c soy sauce (I like San-J Low Sodium, and not because of the low sodium)
½ T sambal oelek
1 t sesame oil
3 scallions, white and green parts separated, sliced as thinly as your patience will allow, on the bias
2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced finely
½" chunk of ginger, peeled and grated
½ sweet onion, Maui is ideal, but Vidalia or Walla-Walla will work, cut lengthwise and sliced thin into slivers
1 lb sushi-grade tuna (bluefin, yellowfin, etc. will all work IF THEY ARE CRAZY FRESH), cut in cubes of ½"
2 t of sesame seeds (crushed macadamia nuts or slivered almonds are also nice)

Mix the soy sauce, sambal, sesame oil, scallion whites, garlic, ginger and onions in a medium bowl. Add the tuna cubes and allow to marinate in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.

Add the sesame seeds or the macadamia nuts. Plate up and garnish with the scallion greens.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation