FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki No, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki No, North Hollywood, CA (bar)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-02 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-02 15:04, telescopes wrote:
Is this place open at this time.

They told me that this weekend (Nov 5th/6th) is their official opening.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrFab
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-03 10:58 am   Permalink

Sweet!

The Tonga Hut and this place are pretty far apart, about 5 miles I reckon. Would make a NoHo bar crawl a bit difficult.

2 different neighborhoods, really - TikiNo is practically in the Universal Studios area, and Tonga is close to grubby Van Nuys.

View Profile of MrFab Send a personal message to MrFab  Goto the website of MrFab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 11:27 am   Permalink

Google maps says they are only 3.6 miles apart and it's a 9 minute drive between the two. As far as most L.A. driving goes, that sounds pretty darned close.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 3:28 pm   Permalink

Sabu, good sign archeology!

Looking forward to visiting on my next trip south.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-03 10:58, MrFab wrote:
Sweet!

The Tonga Hut and this place are pretty far apart, about 5 miles I reckon. Would make a NoHo bar crawl a bit difficult.

2 different neighborhoods, really - TikiNo is practically in the Universal Studios area, and Tonga is close to grubby Van Nuys.

Only in LA is 5 miles considered pretty far apart in terms of distance between tiki bars.

Seriously?

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrFab
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-03 10:47 pm   Permalink

Ha, was just reassuring the disgruntled ones who can't believe that North Hollywood now has two tiki bars that it's not like we're Tiki Row, with bars on every corner. Not yet, at least. Maybe one day...

View Profile of MrFab Send a personal message to MrFab  Goto the website of MrFab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 3:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-02 17:04, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-11-02 15:04, telescopes wrote:
Is this place open at this time.

They told me that this weekend (Nov 5th/6th) is their official opening.

Opening night is tonight.
I passed through on Wed. Love the Palapas!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-04 3:43 pm   Permalink

I'm heading over after work at 8pm, anyone else going?

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattesq
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-19 09:30 am   Permalink

Checked the place out last night and was very impressed. The drinks definitely need some work, but this is a beautiful bar with a high tiki factor. The music was mostly reggae with some 70s and 80s pop hits thrown in, which is not ideal, but did not bother me. We were there around 7 so they may kick it up a notch later in the night. I would recommend staying away from the Scorpion bowl and most of the other drinks were too sweet, but they were better than most and the $5 Mai Tai was good enough that I'll definitely be back. The bar was pretty empty so get out there and support your local tiki bar! During happy hour from 4-7 all of the drinks are $5.

[ This Message was edited by: mattesq 2010-11-19 10:04 ]

View Profile of mattesq Send a personal message to mattesq      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
net-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-20 02:08 am   Permalink

This was a review I posted on yelp about Tiki No, but the deleted it. I guess my review was to negative, but that's how I felt when I was there last weekend. I will try Tiki No again later to see if the music improves and the drinks too. Here is the review;

First, the interior is awesome, Bamboo Ben is the master of all things bamboo. The drinks are good, but expensive for what you get. Second, the bar gets overtaken by nasty a$$ cigarette smoke. The idea was there for the outdoor smoking area but the smoke was just taking over the bar. I think I lost about 10 years of my life from just a couple of hours there. Okay finally now for the music, maybe music is not describing what i heard. What I was hearing sounded like someone was trying to kill a Yak by choking it to death. Please God almighty I would have rather listened to Nsync or Brittney Spears than what this DJ was playing.

I feel better now that my review can live on the internet without censorship. What is weird about the horrible music part, is a little after Grog showed up the music improved a bit.

Everybody keeps talking about no good bars in the noho and I am always amazed that they have not heard of Tonga Hut, which is my favorite local tiki spot.

[ This Message was edited by: net-tiki 2010-11-20 02:12 ]

View Profile of net-tiki Send a personal message to net-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-20 09:06 am   Permalink

I think the Tiki No does have to cast a wider net than the Tiki scene to survive. I am not saying I like the music there, but it is what it is.

And not to criticize the above critique, please, but I just wanna take this opportunity to express my happy ignorance and wonderment at the smoking ban in bars. I never smoked in my life, (only puffed a cigar or pipe here and there), but grew up in Europe til I was 25. You can get into clubs there once you are 18, and that's what you do - you go out all night long til 5:00 am. Back then I could CUT the smoke with a knife wherever I went. It never bothered me one bit. It was just part of going out. I believe it is part of social life at night. This whole anti-smoking mania baffles me. I applaud the Rum Trader in Berlin who won a court case in Germany to let people smoke at owner-operated bars. And I feel healthy and happy, lung-wise, even after being raised in second hand smoke. It might kill me later, but so will lotsa other things.

This is just one man's ignorant view please, no rebuttal or any such thing, just my take on the non-smoking crusade phenomenon.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-21 10:34 am   Permalink

Nobody else thinks of Dr. No when they hear the name?

edited for gender equality:

[ This Message was edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2010-11-21 15:21 ]

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-21 1:11 pm   Permalink

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-22 11:00 pm   Permalink

Anyone ever find out if the tiki sign is a re-creation or the actual Islander sign
that was in Grimes?

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-23 9:24 pm   Permalink

Would a local TC Agent please ask the owners about the history of this sign. Did they pick it up at a yard sale, did they have it specially made? Do they know it looks just like the famous Grimes Islander Sign?

I don't think it is the one from Grimes but it certainly looks the same.

Tipsy McStagger made a great replica of the Grimes Islander sign a few years ago.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=23967&forum=18&start=0

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation