FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cream of Coconut?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Cream of Coconut?
Cowtown Kahuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-20 10:58 am   Permalink

So, whenever I open up a can of Cream of Coconut to make a Blue Hawaiian I always run in to the same problem; inconsistency. At the top of the can, there's about 1 & 1/2" of a white waxy substance, and the remainder of the can is filled with a clear oily liquid. Are you supposed to stir the contents until they reach a uniform texture and color, just use the oil, just use the wax, or equal parts of each? There are no instructions on the can, and Beachbum Berry didn't discuss this phenomenon in the Grog Log. Any takers?

Thanks,

Cowtown Kahuna

View Profile of Cowtown Kahuna Send a personal message to Cowtown Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-20 11:10 am   Permalink

stir that s-t up!

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-20 11:49 am   Permalink

I'm using a brand called Opies for my Kallaloos and Coconauts. It comes in a jar with lid and have the same consistency from top to bottom and can be refrigerated after opened. Don't know how it compares to the Lopez brand recommended by Berry though.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-05-20 12:49 pm   Permalink

I throw it in the blender for a bit and then srape it into some tupperware and pop it in the freezer so I can scoop it out when needed.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cowtown Kahuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-21 2:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

View Profile of Cowtown Kahuna Send a personal message to Cowtown Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-21 4:12 pm   Permalink

On a related note, how long should Coco Lopez in a can last, unopened?

...when drums begin to pound, my head full - BIG sound!
[img]http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/images/avatars/3fc1bc033d70dcbbea619.gif[/im

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-21 4:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-21 16:12, Biotron2000 wrote:
On a related note, how long should Coco Lopez in a can last, unopened?

Indefinately

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-22 02:04 am   Permalink

HEAT IT UP!!! Jeeper Creepers, People... It say's right on the side of the Can of Coco Lopez "Natural Coconut May Congeal When Cold. To Reliquify Immerse Can In Warm Water."
Am I sharin' freakin' Bartending Questions and Answers in a Chat Forum full of people who wouldn't know a can of Cream of Coconut if it bit their freakin' Tiki in half?
Hmmmmmmmmmmm... Perhaps, it seems. Hope I've been of some service.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cowtown Kahuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-23 12:09 pm   Permalink

Hey, now. Cut me some slack Traitor Vic. I live in Ohio, so my knowledge of coconuts is limited to what I've seen on "Gilligan's Island" reruns. I don't know much about cream of coconut, but I'd be more than happy to field your questions about creamed corn.

Submerge in hot water. Got it. Thanks.

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 12:13 pm   Permalink

I scrape the contents into a Pyrex measuring glass and nuke it for about 30-45 sec. Any hunks left in it will dissolve within a minute or so. It's also way easier to deal with the goopy stuff from a measuring glass. I found submerging in hot water to be messy and take too long.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-23 12:13, Humuhumu wrote:
I scrape the contents into a Pyrex measuring glass and nuke it for about 30-45 sec. Any hunks left in it will dissolve within a minute or so. It's also way easier to deal with the goopy stuff from a measuring glass. I found submerging in hot water to be messy and take too long.

This works sooo well. Humuhumu visted us a few weeks ago on the way to Tiki Oasis and gave us this tip when she made Coladas. The balance (after I used some) was put into tupperware and placed in the fridge. Interestingly enough, it did not separate again (perhaps it takes a while for the de-emulsification). I just pop the tupperware back in the microwave for about 15-20 secs, stir, and it's ready for the next delicous application.
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-24 03:21 am   Permalink

Okay... Okay... I know Coconuts don't grow in Ohio, but they don't in SC either. And at least Ohio is Round on the Ends and Hi in the Middle! Wheeeeeee!!! Thought of something else that might come in handy... I've found that you don't have to completely liquify the stuff. Most chunks will dissolve when introduced to a swiftly moving spoon or a suitable amount of rum. Any drink that is going to be blended, too, should not give a problem from the Chunkiness Perspective.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-24 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-24 03:21, Traitor Vic wrote:Most chunks will dissolve when introduced to a swiftly moving spoon or a suitable amount of rum.

That works well if you stir the cream into the lukewarm rum before you add ice. Once ice is added it's hard to get it to dissolve. The same goes for the honey/butter mixture in the Don the Beachcomber recipes.

kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-24 11:53 am   Permalink

smooth and consistent: Trader Vic's KO-KO Kreme Syrup

& it smells like suntan oil!

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-05-25 3:46 pm   Permalink

And it tastes like my pants. I used to buy Vic's all the time, but after I found Coco Lopez, there's no turning back. Who cares if it has a weird consistency- It tastes a lot better!

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation