FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Final Goodbye to Kona Lanes~Costa Mesa, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Final Goodbye to Kona Lanes~Costa Mesa, CA
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 1:03 pm   Permalink

Awesome find Tiki Joe!

We had some good times at Kona Lanes and I'm so glad to see that the sign found a good home.

Mahalo for posting this.

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
oldschoolsocalguy

Posted: 2007-01-17 5:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-05 13:03, stentiki wrote:
Awesome find Tiki Joe!

We had some good times at Kona Lanes and I'm so glad to see that the sign found a good home.

Mahalo for posting this.

Well, let me first say sorry for replying to such an old thread, But I grew up in Costa Mesa and was just only 10 min ago telling my wife about this place called Kona Lanes and Ice Capades where I grew up. So I logged on to Google and searched for Kona Lanes just to see if I could find it to show her and this came up. I am devastated by this news and wish I would have known about this when it was going on. What happened to the awsome pizza place (can't remember the name But I know it had to do with baseball and the sign was blue) and the record store that use to be there? Are they gone too? What about the Supermarket that was there to the left? I use to live directly across from Orange Coast College. I can't believe the memories this thread has just brought back to me and I am shocked to read it's gone. Oddly enough, I live in Cincinnati now, how freaking weird is that!!

Anyway, thanks for the memories this site and thread just gave me, I just had to sign up and post to this thread.

Take Care

View Profile of oldschoolsocalguy Send a personal message to oldschoolsocalguy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
oldschoolsocalguy

Posted: 2007-01-17 5:53 pm   Permalink

I just rememberd!! HomeRun Pizza??? And was it a Vons?? Wow..Too weird..I couldn't even imagine seeing an empty lot there...If anyone drives by and would be so kind to post a pic, I would be forever grateful.

[ This Message was edited by: oldschoolsocalguy 2007-01-17 18:02 ]

View Profile of oldschoolsocalguy Send a personal message to oldschoolsocalguy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 12:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

oldschoolsocalguy wrote:
...If anyone drives by and would be so kind to post a pic, I would be forever grateful.

Here are pictures from May 2006 (almost exactly 3 years since Kona Lanes closed). As you can see, absolutely no progress has been made to the lot. It's almost hard to believe that Kona Lanes used to be in that empty space and it's a shame that it seems to have been torn down without purpose since there had previously been this 'uproar' of needing to put a Kohls or similar type of retail shopping store there. I am by this lot about every other day and it still looks the same as it did when I took the pics last year.

A closeup just to show you that even trash has been left there with no one even cleaning up the lot:

oldschoolsocalguy, I grew up in Costa Mesa as well. The name of the pizza place was Ball Park Pizza. Also, do you remember Haus of Pizza that was there across the street (and still is), as well as Calentino's on the other side of the street, which also has been around since 1969 and is still going strong to this day. The Von's is still there, and maybe you remember:

• Music Market: the place to go to get all of your vinyl, 45's and your Farrah Fawcett red-bikini poster.
  • Bilbo Baggins: one of the first places in Costa Mesa to actually introduce Open Mic Night.
  • Ice Capades: which went from "Ice Capades" to "Ice Capades Chalet", then finally to "Costa Mesa Ice Chalet"
  • Swensen's Ice Cream...then turned into a Ben & Jerry's, then finally to a "Baguette" place.

Do these spark some memories?

Last note: The buildings you see behind the empty Kona lot are now occupied by Vons, FastFrame, Gina's Pizza, Juice it Up!, Starbucks, Costa Mesa Federal Credit Union, Newport Tanning Club, Submarina Sandwiches, and a few other franchise-type businesses, which is the way most commercial real estate brokers are going...with the larger, "safer", franchised retail establishments rather than with the mom 'n pop businesses.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
oldschoolsocalguy

Posted: 2007-01-18 04:57 am   Permalink

Ahhh!! I just got chills, really.. Ball Park Pizza!! Wow..I can remember that blue sign and basketball machine inside there like it was yesterday. And hell yes I rememebr the record shop, skating rink, Haus of Pizza....Unreal, I use to walk up there every day! I lived in Pine Creek Village for a while. Thank you Sooooooooo Much for posting those pics, I was looking foward to flying my wife out there this year and showing here all this as she is from the midwest. Sad I can't share that part of my life with her and it appears to be as you said all for nothing.. Thanks for the memories and replying to this old thread for me:-) I turned my Mom onto this thread as well, as she spent more time in Kona than me!!

Take care

oldschoolsocalguy

Posted: 2007-01-18 05:11 am   Permalink

PS- Mom and I are planning to make the 5 min trip to the sign museum, lol..If I can get some pics while there I will post them for you all if you are interested in seeing them.

Take Care

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-23 2:38 pm   Permalink

Music Market rocked! My first wife and i used to go there every week or two!Lotsa great old LPs from back in the day! And some great rare stuff! Karaokeed once at Kona Lanes,but never bowled there! I think I sang "Fire" by the Ohio Players! Yowza! Thanks for the memories!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-23 2:56 pm   Permalink

I grew up in Costa Mesa and Music Market was great. They always had good stuff, lots of posters and import 7 inches. I had a friend who worked there that told me one of the reasons the prices were cheap was that pretty much everything "Fell off a Truck."

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RadioKirk

Posted: 2007-03-27 11:44 am   Permalink

Another late arrival...

I live in the North Bay now, but I, too, grew up in Costa Mesa and damn near grew up in Kona Lanes. My dad started taking me there when I was 4 or 5, and I worked in the building three times: in the coffee shop (before it was remodeled into a snack bar and the remaining space converted to storage), as a porter (remember that word?) and behind the desk. My wife and I debated a Kona wedding, but opted for my mother's home (she still lives on Nassau Road, a two-minute drive to Kona if you hit the lights).

That last stint was in 1988. More than once, I wrote Kona's column in the Pacific Bowler (I still have a copy from that October). My wife was working in the snack bar, the manager's name was Ed, and we used to joke about (what we called) his "Mr. Ed Burger". When John, Kona's manager at the time, moved to Westminster Lanes later that year, I went with him.

Our daughter was able to join us (she didn't bowl, something about the bumpers being unavailable, or something) at Kona some time in 2002, either when we drove down for an awards banquet or for that Christmas but, apparently, we didn't take pictures. If I'd only known...

Our next trip was in February 2004, after the demolition, for my stepfather's funeral. The services were on Baker Street; we took Adams Avenue to Huntington Beach for the reception, but I wasn't looking toward the site at the time; and we took Hamilton/Victoria back to my mother's house, then took the freeway home, not touching Harbor Boulevard again. No one mentioned Kona Lanes; our thoughts were elsewhere—though, now that I think about it, I seem to remember noticing that the Edwards Cinema was gone.

We came back for Christmas 2005 and, while looking for a motel (the Costa Mesa Inn at Wilson, formerly the Ha' Penny, was full), I remembered a Super 8 near Kona Lanes, actually driving past it to get a look at the old haunt, and seeing nothing but a fence. Turning around, wondering how I could have missed it, we were quite sure we were in the right spot, but, nothing. We checked in to the Super 8, I walked next door to the 7-11, and I couldn't help but stand there for a few moments and stare across Mesa Verde Drive.

Kona Lanes was gone. Just... gone.

An indelible part of my child- and young-adulthood, gone. Even writing about it now, it seems surreal.

I asked the clerk what happened; he told me it was torn down a couple of years earlier; I asked the night manager at Super 8 what she knew, and she related the rest of the story. When I rejoined my family, I repeated the news, almost in tears.

Well, thanks for allowing me a forum for catharsis...

[ This Message was edited by: RadioKirk 2007-03-27 13:10 ]

View Profile of RadioKirk Send a personal message to RadioKirk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RadioKirk

Posted: 2007-03-28 11:09 am   Permalink

How about another memory, while I'm at it...

One of the duties for which I volunteered in 1988 was "calling" Rainbow Bowling at Kona Lanes, something I would also do in Westminster (with a wireless mic, allowing me to have a little fun by sneaking up behind bowlers on occasion) and Bakersfield as I gradually moved upstate.

I was working the night of the first game of the World Series and sat on the short wall/ball rack listening with a transistor radio and an earpiece (to not disturb the bowlers, though several would get updates from me as the night went on, and a few stood close by as the game went in to the bottom of the ninth). When Kirk Gibson won it with the walk-off heard 'round the world, I literally screamed, something like "Yes! YES!! I don't believe it!!" Naturally, that got everyone's attention, and I heard people yelling, "WHAT?!" When I explained what had happened, the place erupted!

If memory serves, NBC replayed the game after midnight, so I did get to see Vinny and Joe; I don't remember who called it on radio, but the moment was electric!

Long live Kona Lanes...

View Profile of RadioKirk Send a personal message to RadioKirk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RadioKirk

Posted: 2007-04-13 06:28 am   Permalink

I've made a wallpaper (1024x768) for anyone who wants it:

Kona%20Lanes%202.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/24/314646/Kona%20Lanes%202.jpg

Mahalo!

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 9:47 pm   Permalink

Hey SC Daddy, it's been a long time... I moved within walking distance from Kona Lanes three years ago, right after they knocked it down. It kills me to think of how many kareoke sessions I've missed. It still blows my mind that it is better for the community as an empty lot than as a bowling ally. What a waste.

Oh yeah, Noise Noise Noise (next to Kona) is gone too now. You can't even buy records in Costa Mesa any more.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 10:07 pm   Permalink

and goat hill records down on Harbor and 19th.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ This Message was edited by: Bigtikidude 2013-02-23 08:11 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RadioKirk

Posted: 2007-05-06 3:41 pm   Permalink

There's a brand-new Kona Lanes t-shirt being made by the guy who runs pupntaco.com. See the Tiki Marketplace

[ This Message was edited by: RadioKirk 2007-05-06 15:59 ]

ninkies

Posted: 2007-05-16 5:55 pm   Permalink

I registered to this forum just to post about Kona Lanes. I gre up in Huntington Beach on Atlanta and Bushard in the 70's and Kona Lanes was a part of my growing up. I remember when they closed it and the building was still there -- I was hoping that they were renovating it or something and then the next time I drove by (I live in Irvine, so it wasn't that often) it was gone. There are few landmarks left from the 60s and 70's (Remember the old Harbor Center? I won't even go there)

Its funny, but I was doing a Google search for tanning salons (lol) and came across this post. I am glad I did. Thanks for the memories.

Melanie

View Profile of ninkies Send a personal message to ninkies  Email ninkies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation