FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Final Goodbye to Kona Lanes~Costa Mesa, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Final Goodbye to Kona Lanes~Costa Mesa, CA
RadioKirk

Posted: 2007-07-16 12:58 pm   Permalink

I was in Orange County last week on vacation and checked out the site of the late Kona Lanes, and took a few snaps (click for larger image):

kona-lanes-site.jpg" BORDER="0">
About the only thing that's changed in the four years since the building was unnecessarily razed is the weeds since raised.

The mounts that used to hold the giant street sign remain.

Finally, as if to mock us, the one remaining structure is the stone wall that sat underneath the other end of the overhang from the building's main entrance (according to my memory, anyway—the more recent pics of the building show no overhang, but it may have come down at the same time as the more garish red extensions over the former coffee shop).

This represents progress from what, exactly?

[ This Message was edited by: RadioKirk 2007-07-20 20:08 ]

View Profile of RadioKirk Send a personal message to RadioKirk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-06 7:35 pm   Permalink

ANyone in here have any good pics of Kona Lanes ?

All the photo links are dead here.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 8:07 pm   Permalink

What a frickin' crime!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-01-06 8:19 pm   Permalink

Here, here and the best ones are here!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 9:08 pm   Permalink

..judging from the pictures of the karaoke nights, it becomes clear why the kona lanes had to be destroyed.....the madness had to be stopped and that was the only way to stop it.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-06 10:15 pm   Permalink

Thanx Boris....

I was lucky enough to have gone to Java Lanes one time. Me and a buddy had lunch in that amazing Coffee Shop. Never got To Kona Lanes tho

Bowling architecture and aesthetics have always been some of my favorite Mid Century Modern-isms, besides Tiki of course. Put them together and it's Pure heaven.

Luckily I moved to LA while some of these great places on PCH were still around, and did some of those great "I got nothin to do, I think I'll just go explore" driving trips through the South Bay.

One of those trips led me to Sam's Seafood, tho', I had a matchbook with address on it.

Someone needs to put together a list of cool stuff that's left, like say The Hot n' Tot in Lomita. Definitely worth the trip.

Other places I got to a few times, but miss dearly....Ben Franks, Ships, Hollywood Star Lanes....I still have a bowling pin signed by the owner when they closed.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2009-01-06 22:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2009-01-06 22:31 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 09:38 am   Permalink

....and the Kona lanes site is still undeveloped. Thank you very much Segerstrom family.....
That picture of the rock wall that is still standing was not part of the actual structure... It was across a small, one car lane from the front entrance, in the parking lot. I remember it vividly. Still bums me out that that lot is vacant...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-07 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-07 09:38, Luckydesigns wrote:
....and the Kona lanes site is still undeveloped. Thank you very much Segerstrom family.....
That picture of the rock wall that is still standing was not part of the actual structure... It was across a small, one car lane from the front entrance, in the parking lot. I remember it vividly. Still bums me out that that lot is vacant...

Wow, really ? What a god damn waste. I started thinking about Bowling alleys and how great their designs were...architecturally, as well as decor and signage.

Does anyone know of any other Tiki Bowling Alleys besides Kona, Java and the Kapu Kai ? Any pics ?

Sven ?

congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 10:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-07 10:07, tikiyaki wrote:
Does anyone know of any other Tiki Bowling Alleys besides Kona, Java and the Kapu Kai ? Any pics ?

Covina Bowl is still there in all its Googie/Tiki glory:
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-trw-0518-googie-pg,0,4985265.photogallery?index=09

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-07 10:37 am   Permalink

Hot Damn ! TC Bowling/Tiki Event ?

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 10:51 am   Permalink

I am proud to say that Kevin Bullat (Tiki Bong) who is our steel player, was interviewed by the Times when Kona shut down! Kevin has a LOT of memorabilia from closed tiki places in his possesion!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 12:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-07 10:23, congawa wrote:

Covina Bowl is still there in all its Googie/Tiki glory:
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-trw-0518-googie-pg,0,4985265.photogallery?index=09

My father-in-law was married there several years ago. It was a crazy biker wedding; he wore a braided Willy Nelson wig.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 6:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-07 10:07, tikiyaki wrote:
Wow, really ? What a god damn waste. I started thinking about Bowling alleys and how great their designs were...architecturally, as well as decor and signage. Does anyone know of any other Tiki Bowling Alleys besides Kona, Java and the Kapu Kai ? Any pics ?
Sven ?

You are so right. Bowling alleys are the most under-documented Googie icons so far.

There is the Mar Vista Bowl and the Lucky Lanes Bowl in TIKI MODERN...the latter not being Tiki, but, like the Covina Bowl, an A-frame. Somehow, even more than Motels, 60s bowling alleys really took a shine to the A-frame concept. There even was one in Waikiki. How about the Willow Grove Lanes in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania?:

My favorite mid-century modern non-Tiki bowling alley is the Rose Bowl Lanes in Tulsa, Oklahoma:

Check out that interior! There were dozens of such amazing examples across the United States. Someone should make a book about them.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-01-07 9:40 pm   Permalink

From kona-lanes.html" TARGET="_blank"> OC Historical Blog Spot .com Oct. 28, 2008 ~

"At Costa Mesa's recent City Council candidate forum, everyone agreed on only one thing: Tearing down Kona Lanes in 2003 was a big mistake and a significant loss to the community. Where were these people five years ago? Not only did they Costa Mesa lose one of its most popular entertainment venues and landmarks, but Southern California lost yet another of its nearly-extinct classic Googie buildings. Worse yet, it has been replaced only with a vacant lot full of weeds. I was there on closing day, and watched the constant procession of people paying their last respects to this nostalgic landmark. Some had tears in their eyes, including married couples who had met while bowling there. Costa Mesa may someday get another bowling center, but it will never replace Kona Lanes."

and The OC Register article it was linked too. Oct. 23, 2008 ~

"The vacant lot on in Mesa Verde where Kona Lanes used to stand was also addressed. Sneen, using a line McEvoy said at a previous debate, said it best: "They should have never torn down the bowling alley!"
The room erupted in applause. Candidates had different ideas for that property, which is privately owned by the Segerstrom family. Some suggested having a bowling alley brought back to the site, while others said it would be a perfect location for senior living."

It’s nice that people realize it was a mistake to tear it down but Tipsy’s also right, if only they could have just demolished the Karaoke Machine.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 11:17 pm   Permalink

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation