FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Tiki Weekender at the Atlanta Trader Vic's Feb 18-20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Weekender at the Atlanta Trader Vic's Feb 18-20
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-22 06:52 am   Permalink

Contacted Derek, sounds like if he's in town, he'll come on down.
Quote:
Sounds like an ever-lovin' hoot!! I loves me some tiki freaks! Thanks for thinkin' of me, man.......I might have a gallery gig out west that weekend but if'n I don't, color me insville, Daddy-O!!

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-25 1:52 pm   Permalink

Some interesting news for those planning to (and hoping to) go to the Atlanta Trader Vic's Weekender in February.

Edward Hamilton, author of "The Complete Guide to Rum: An Authoritative Guide to Rums of the World" and "Rums of the Eastern Caribbean" will be joining us for the weekend. Some of you might also know Ed from his excellent website
http://www.ministryofrum.com. One of Ed's big projects right now is bringing back Lemon Hart 151 as the new US importer.

(For Atlanta locals - Ed will be coming in on the 19th)

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 12:36 pm   Permalink

Important Update:
We have reached our room quota at the Hilton, which means there are no longer rooms available at the group rate of $129. The next best price that can be gotten for the Atlanta Hilton is $175 via Priceline - don't bother calling the Hilton, they are trying to get $219 for the remaining rooms (yikes!).

Options for those who are still considering coming and staying overnight, there is a Motel 6 (a former Ramada) right next door to the Hilton for $119 (via Priceline). Door to door it is just one city block away.

Also, the Melia Atlanta hotel ($99 via Priceline) which is just a very short cab ride from the Hilton/Trader Vic's (less than 3/4 of a mile).

If any of the local ohana have suggestions for convenient and reasonable rate places, please post.

I may have one person on the Hilton list who would not mind splitting a double at the Hilton, please PM me if you'd like to contact him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So far we have nearly 20 out of towners staying at the Hilton, plus a few more staying with area friends. Difficult to estimate how many locals from the Atlanta area, but I think it is a dozen plus.

Looks like we'll have a decent number to start each evening at Trader Vic's with.

On at least one of the two evenings, it looks like Trader Vic's is going to do us a solid with $5.40 Mai Tais for the group (there's a little logistics being worked out as to how they will know who's in the party, but we'll have that worked out in the next few days).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of local ohana, how many thinking about coming would like to have a group dinner at TV on Saturday night? And if you are interested, what would you like? A fixed price for a meal or more of an appetizer sort of evening? Or nothing special set up with each table taking responsibility for their own bill? Nothing carved in stone yet, just want to get a sense of the group.

[ This Message was edited by: jwtiki 2011-01-27 10:46 ]

Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-27 10:56 am   Permalink

Hilton is now sold out for the weekend. No rooms available through their website
or through any of the travel sites like Priceline.
For any out of towners still hoping to come,
please check out some of the options mentioned in the post just previous to this one.

Man, we just got whumped with 10" of snow last night.
Where we live, as little as 1" can cancel school, so
Mai Tais at Trader Vic's have *never* sounded better in my life!

Can't wait!

[ This Message was edited by: jwtiki 2011-01-28 09:51 ]

SouthBamaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-28 09:36 am   Permalink

So are most people going to do dinner at TV Saturday evening? Are we going to set a time for meeting up or will we just all come and go through the evening? Trevor and I will likely have a big lunch somewhere SAT afternoon then plan for appetizers or something not so big at TV for dinner. They have seafood, so they are one of the places I can find something to eat with no problem

View Profile of SouthBamaTiki Send a personal message to SouthBamaTiki  Email SouthBamaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 10:18 am   Permalink

I'll leave the question of a group dinner open until the beginning of next week. Even if there isn't a big call for something special, a good number of the out of towners will probably do dinner together Saturday night. So especially from those local to the TV, please chime in or send me a PM if you want to be included in this.

We are still working with the Trader Vic's managers to have (on at least one of the two evenings) a $5.40 Mai Tai special for our group. They have been great about this, but we need to have a special identifier for people in our party. Someone has generously offered to do buttons for us, but it would be nice to have a good sense of how many buttons to make. Right now I am planning on about 18 out of towners and about 12 local tikiphiles joining in, so 36 buttons ought to cover it. Again, if the local folks who are planning to come in could help in estimating who's coming, this would be helpful. (I think my local estimate may be a bit low)

This may be the first visit to a Trader Vic's for several people in our party (it is mine), how about some personal tips about what you think is great (or to be avoided) at this location? What are your favorite drinks, appetizers or meals? If you could only have 5 Trader Vic drinks over the weekend, what would your 5 favorites be?

croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 10:25 am   Permalink

I was in town briefly last week for work & was fortunate to be able to spend an evening at Vic's, including dinner.

Particularly memorable food:

- The creme brulee trio (coconut, maitai, coffee) - we ordered one to split & they were so good we ordered a second one!

- The 9-spice chicken is *always* a favorite of min. I SO miss that Trader Vic's Chicago removed it from their menu (sniff, sniff), so I just had to have it in Atlanta & it did not disappoint - it was fabulous!!!

On drinks - they make their own Hot Buttered Rum batter & add a special touch - was very, very good. The MaiTai & Navy Grog were dead-on.

See everyone THERE in a few weeks - can't wait!!!!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SouthBamaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 11:08 am   Permalink

Can we dress like werewolves and have pina coladas?

View Profile of SouthBamaTiki Send a personal message to SouthBamaTiki  Email SouthBamaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 11:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-01 11:08, SouthBamaTiki wrote:

That's next year's excursion to Trader Vic's London

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 11:28 am   Permalink

This looks so fun! I have gigs ;-(

Hello Hotlanta folks!

Mr. Ho
http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SouthBamaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-02 09:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-01 11:09, croe67 wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-01 11:08, SouthBamaTiki wrote:

That's next year's excursion to Trader Vic's London

Let's do it!!

Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-02 12:08 pm   Permalink

The pu-pu platter is great! I extra recommend the crab rangoon and the prawns.
Anything from the Chinese ovens is generally a winner (and they have a combination platter of same) but I frequently get the
Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi.
+1 for the creme brulee or the amazing bananas foster.

My drinking standards are the suffering bastard, fogcutter, mai-tai, and pretty much all of the bowl drinks. (I can never remember which is my favorite...just have to have them all). The bahia is pretty good also.

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FenrixTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-02 7:31 pm   Permalink

I'm another ATLien. My wife and I would love to come for the dinner on Saturday. It is likely that I will drop by for a Mai Tai or two on Friday. When it comes to food, anything cooked in the wood ovens are the real winners in my book. The scallops and the short ribs are faboo. The bananas foster is a must for at least one person in the group, if for no other reason than the table-side theater. The drinks, however, are the real stars. We could probably get one of the side rooms if there's enough of us. There's basically two dining rooms and the bar. The large dining area will accomodate over 100 easily and the smaller one is closer to 40.

The Silver Skillet is better than Majestic in terms of service and food. Majestic wins on architecture, ambiance, and location.

The
Plaza Theater is a nice old movie theater that's run as a non-profit. They always do Rocky on Fridays at midnight, and there's usually something interesting running. It's also next door to the Majestic. You can catch a piece of Derek's art at the snack counter.

Is there an organized thing happening at Dante's?

Also holler if there are specific things you want to eat or see while you're in town. I'm good at specific suggestions, but not as adept at general ones.

[ This Message was edited by: FenrixTiki 2011-02-02 19:42 ]

View Profile of FenrixTiki Send a personal message to FenrixTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-04 4:22 pm   Permalink

You know, it's amusing to think of a crowd as big as you all seem to be getting, squeezing into the Silver Skillet. Good luck.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 07:13 am   Permalink

Lol, GatorRob, you know I was just thinking that I have no solid idea how many people are going to show up. There are now close to 30 people I am fairly solid about. I'd say that there is a fair chance of another dozen plus who might show up on one evening or the other.
(on Facebook, we have nearly 40 between the attending and might attend and no idea how many are couples)

I still believe "the more the merrier" so we'll play it as it comes and go where the trade winds take us. Start off each evening at Trader Vic's and after a few rounds we'll see who is ambitious enough to venture out for more.

Btw, does anyone know how many the bar part of Trader Vic's seats?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation