FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts TikiKirby - Mele Kalikimaka TC
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
TikiKirby - Mele Kalikimaka TC
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-16 09:32 am   Permalink

Mudbone, Michigan Mahalos... I do plan to do other ML mugs, but my main goal right now is just trying to do something different each time just to learn the best ways to create these shapes. I do love the pewabic glazes they are so rich looking.. That is part two of my reason to take these classes. I plan to learn as much as I can about how to create these.. And I do think it would be cool these iconic MI tikis glazed pewabic style.. Originally I was thinking of replicating the original finish for this mug, but it may be kinda cool to go more pewabic... hmm...

Zerotiki and Danlovestiki, Mahalos!! This is a lot of fun... So many ideas, so.. little... time....

? Grog, thanx for taking the time to ... what ever that was. I'm sorry but I missed the reference your talking about. I take DLT's comment as a nice compliment... I'm always my worst critc, and I work hard to always do better so I don't think there is any worry about me striving to raise my own bar, it's in my nature.

While I am new to ceramics, I have been sculpting maquettes for years. Grog you may have seen some of them when we worked at DW together. Do you remember Cindy from TFA? She was the person who inspired me to start sculpting. She was truly a master and very helpful... I have been sculpting with SS and chavant ever since... As for ceramic clay, there are several people here with more experience that are truly inspirational and I'll be the first to acknowledge I have a lot to learn but, thanx for taking the time to point that out...

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-16 10:38 am   Permalink

Here's some vertical glaze tests I did to see how much they run... Most of these glazes are put on too thick for these small sculpts, but you get the idea... What do you guys think about the colors???

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-16 11:32 am   Permalink

Very cool glazes and I've always been a fan of Pewabic tiles and pottery. Are those tiles that your working on.

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-01-16 1:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-16 09:32, TikiKIrby wrote:

? Grog, thanx for taking the time to ... what ever that was. I'm sorry but I missed the reference your talking about.

GROG just razzing Wendy (Danlovestiki) As fa ras the referencegoes , check out Bai's ceramics on TC, she's awesome!!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-16 6:58 pm   Permalink

Sweet!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-18 9:30 pm   Permalink

It's all about the glaze testing...Too Thick, too thin... layers and mixing. Your tests look great! I haven't advanced to vertical glaze tests yet. Keep up the great work and keep posting photos!

Next time you are in Hawaii be sure to come visit us on Maui!

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-18 9:45 pm   Permalink

TikiKirby, don't worry about GROG - he has cerebral cysticercosis from eating uncooked meat (he hasn't discovered fire yet)

My favorites are the 2 uber-breaking ones on the left rear

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-27 2:42 pm   Permalink

Here's my newest sculpt, a little wahine... It's my first "human" figure with this clay, you have to work a lot different than with the chavant that I'm used to. Too wet or too dry and the clay doesn't work very well, "leather hard" is when it's best to work. Then there is the drying period, too fast and it may crack.... The Moai started as something else and morphed into this, but did give me an idea for my next sculpt.... Not sure how I'll glaze her, any suggetions??

Anyway, I'm learnin a lot here, mahalo TCer's for all the help and inspiration..

Mahalo for looking....

TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-27 3:04 pm   Permalink

I also did a mug inspired by the Mauna Loa S&P shakers... I really dig this shape, I think it's perfect for a mug, it fits perfectly in the hand.

Nowhere near as awesome as Babalu's Mauna Loa drum, but a fun project none the less... It dried too quickly on me and I wasn't able to add the texture I wanted to. Oh well, next time..

The two Mauna Loa's together..

Mahalos

Tobor64

Posted: 2011-01-27 3:14 pm   Permalink

Great work, TikiKirby! What if you fused the Wahine to the Moai, much like in the position you have them in your photo?

And when are you going into production with these, huh?

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-27 4:07 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Tabor64, that was my original plan to have a wahine resting against a tiki, but then I figured it would be better to keep them separate so I could "test" them with different glazes... I still have a lot of experimenting to do with glazes. At some point I will definitely incorporate tikis and wahines, I love the two together . I will cast one next month, just hot sure which one yet, and they'll probably be proofs for glaze tezting... As for production, hopefully in the spring..

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-27 5:22 pm   Permalink

Absolutely beautiful wahine sculpt - Bravo!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2011-01-27 7:18 pm   Permalink

The sculpts look great and the Wahine is super cute. GROG like. Good luck with the glazing, and as Babalu says---always do tests.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-28 12:49 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the support MDM and Grog!!!

Grog, I'm very nervous about the whole glaze thing, there are so many variables, one wrong decision and I'll have an ugly paper weight.. I have a half a dozen or so ideas on how to finish these that I plan to test, hopefully it won't be a complete disaster!! I also plan to cast one of the simple sculpts so I can do larger tests, there is just so much to learn...

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 7:49 pm   Permalink

Nice stuffs TK!! Really like the figurative work. Good luck with the tests. I hope you nail something that you like.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation