FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts TikiKirby - Mele Kalikimaka TC
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
TikiKirby - Mele Kalikimaka TC
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-03-20 7:38 pm   Permalink

And Bigbro provided the name of the artist.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-20 8:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks Aaron! I dig that car. Got to see it years ago when it was at Lead East in New Jersey. Good to see another "kustom guy" on here, too!

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-22 12:18 am   Permalink

Ah, the above mug is a close kin to these two famous Bob Hope Tikis:

Quote:

On 2011-03-20 19:38, GROG wrote:
And Bigbro provided the name of the artist.

That is sweet, Grogster, but I was really only referring to the originator of Tiki Bob, just like TikiKirby said.

I am just sad that only ten years after the story of Bob was revealed, his origins are already forgotten. To me, the history of an art object gives it context and depth, and MEANING. Otherwise they are just funny faces lined up on a shelf.

Here is my attempt to remind people:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39043&forum=17&vpost=581249

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-25 6:30 pm   Permalink

That tiki is hilarious BigBro!! I can't read the whole plaque on it (I see Bob Hopes name, but that's all I can make out), do you know what this was for?? I like the way the second carving sneaks to bow tie in, I wanted to add a tie to the mug but thought it might be too much.

mahalo for posting these,,

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-13 08:38 am   Permalink

Alright, I forgot how to change the post name. I know this has been asked before, but couldn't find it by searching so I'll ask here.. How do you change the title of a post??

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-13 09:07 am   Permalink

Aaron, go to your original post and hit the edit button at the bottom. It lets you change to topic heading

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2011-04-13 10:47 am   Permalink

GROG hasn't seen anything glazed yet, just awesome sculpts. Quit your teasing, you bastard!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-15 10:06 am   Permalink

Sorry, being in the midwest at the moment you learn to take advantage of the warm weather. It's finally been warm enough to get me out and away from the computer. I've been working on my toy so I can play with it this summer...

As for glazing, the class is set up to focus on building for the first half and glazing the second. The problem is they have been having problems with 2 of their kilns. They have been going too hot for a few weeks, then too cool. So it's been very frustrating getting back matte glazes in a high gloss, a different color, or my favorite bubbly!!! Like glazing isn't hard enough!! Also being a group kiln load it took a while to fill in the begining, now the kilns are jam packed which I'm sure also affects the glaze (let alone gives you fun extras!!))

Anyway, enough excuses!!!

Here's a few tiles.. The brown one on the left is supposed to be green with a brown break...

The third one is (was) a matte medium brown..

These were under fired (with those added extras I was talking about... Will be refired..

These turned out ok... They were just a simple glaze

My first Mauna Loa tests. Again, these WERE a matte glaze. Showing the shrinkage.. From R to L.. My original sculpt bisque fired (8-10% smaller than original), a slip cast bisque fired, the final glaze (cone 6)

Same line up for the baby tangs... Also more of a matte glaze.

One step forward.....

Aloha

GROG

Posted: 2011-04-15 10:31 am   Permalink

Sorry about the kiln problems. As if normal glazing wasn't frustrating enough to begin with.

Did you make your own molds?

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 10:55 am   Permalink

Those are terrific. You must have a very steady hand to have them be so perfect. I'm working on that, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2011-04-15 11:35 am   Permalink

Great pictures TK! That Mauna Loa mug sculpt is great, and I love those tiles you did as well...
I don't blame ya for not being indoors when you have such an awesome ride bra, 65' ya?? Always have liked those..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-15 2:55 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the encouragement.

Grog, I did make all the molds and have come to the conclusion I don't like making molds!! The ML mug is a simple 2 piece , the baby tang is a 4 piece base with a 2 piece lid, and the tiles are 1 piece press molds..

Beachbumz, yea it's a '65 GS and it's real solid.. I got all the mechanicals working like new and I'm prepping it to do a quick paint for the summer... For the tiles I tried to have something similar to my wahine sculpt so I could test glaze combos for it on several pieces (I think I pressed a doz so far)... And the diamond one will/ could be AP christmas gifts if they make it through the test phase... They both have lettering because I love adding lettering to the sculpts and I need to learn the options for glazing letters...

ebtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 10:51 pm   Permalink

Your mugs are looking great - I love your ML!

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-18 11:32 am   Permalink

It's been a very inspirational year here on TC, you guys are really creating fantastic work and I just wanted to say mahalo and Mele Kalikimaka to all. Here is a commissioned piece that I "fixed" (the benefit of painting on the computer).

Keep up the great work and have a safe and happy holiday!!

Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-18 4:08 pm   Permalink

Holy crap those baby tangs are AWESOME!!!! did you finish them up? Are they available for sale??? Nice work!

nice car too!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation