FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-07 08:57 am   Permalink

Chris (TornadoTiki), nice photos. It’s easy to see who among us is the professional photographer. Mahalo for the awesome Tiki Lantern! Greatly appreciate you and George (TikiHardBop) making the trek up, and bringing some of the Brevard Tiki peeps with you.

Dustycajun, honored by your visit and your kind words! When you’re down Florida way, let’s do some Tiki exploration together, then enjoy cocktails in the ocean breeze.

Here are a few more photos from Saturday’s Luau party:

Kathryn and Jimi from Rockledge...

Wailana from Ohana Luau...

Pat and Sheila from Titusville...

Neighbor Howie brandishing a soon-to-be-filled mug, with Steve and Pam in the background...

Mingling at the bar...

Christina, Tom, Kathryn and Chris...

TikiTender, Beth, Mark and Pam (camera guy might have been feeling effects of cocktails by this time)...

Karen and Jo...

Tommy and Kathy...

Tommy and Anthony...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-07 09:50 am   Permalink

So that makes like 47 photos of Kathryn and none of me? I wonder why that could possibly be?

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-07 10:28 am   Permalink

George, Kathryn is certainly a lovely and worthy subject for the camera.

Okay, I hereby submit the evidence that you were indeed photographed:

Now, choose from the following for an explanation of the results:

(a) The camera operator is inept
(b) The camera lens fogged as it was brought out of air conditioned space into warm, humid air
(c) The camera has an autofocus, but the operator failed to first press the button half-way to activate
(d) Your personal aura affected the digital camera media
(e) Choices a, b and c above
(f) All of the above

Choices (a) and (e) are essentially saying the same thing, and either one is the most probable explanation, though (d) is in the realm of possibility.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 09:07 am   Permalink

I'm sorry, but I think that is just about the best photo ever taken of me! It mirrors the way that I was seeing the world after that yard-long mai tai!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 09:57 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TikiHardBop 2011-12-08 09:57 ]

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-12 8:11 pm   Permalink

Man it looks like it was an amazing party. Thanks for posting all the pics, would have loved to have been there but well you know.... Oregon is way over here, and you are way over there.

Now I gotta ask... what is Macadamia nut pie? It sounds yummy!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-13 06:47 am   Permalink

Aloha, tigertail777! Macadamia Nut Pie is similar to Pecan Pie, kind of a Hawaiian version of it. There are many tasty recipes, some embellished with coconut and some with chocolate. Here’s a basic recipe, among the many out there. It is not a desert for those on a strict diet, as it packs a zillion calories per slice, but it is, indeed, yummy.

-Tom

komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-13 4:36 pm   Permalink

a little trivia, macadamia are native to the north-east of australia,
namely queensland, and were introduced to and commercially grown in
hawaii around-abouts the 1920s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macadamia

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-14 10:53 am   Permalink

Komohana, mahalo for the information on Macadamia Nut origins. Expanding on your trivia: In 1857, the nut was named in honor of Dr. John Macadam, MD, a Scottish-born Australian chemist, medical teacher and politician who served as the Secretary of the Philosophical Institute of Victoria. I noticed from your article that the Macadamia Nut is also referred to as the Queensland Nut or Bush Nut in deference to its native range.

Pat and I visited the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut orchards and factory at Kea`au on the Big Island about 11 years ago. It is on the road between Hilo and Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park. Their web site indicates that the first Macadamia Nut tree was planted in Hawai`i at Kapulena on the Big Island in 1881, and the first plantation was planted near Honolulu, O`ahu in 1921. The original Mauna Loa plantation was started in 1946. For those who like Macadamia Nuts and chocolate, here’s the Mauna Loa
recipe for Chocolate Macadamia Truffle Mousse Pie (Hershey’s now owns the Mauna Loa brand).

The Macadamia Nut is the hardest of nuts to crack open, and inflicting the required force to break the shell also tends to obliterate the edible nut inside. According to this article (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Oc-rVwKPngoC&dat=20030305&printsec=frontpage&hl=en, page 12), legend is that it took American ingenuity to develop the nut-cracking machinery necessary to make commercial exploitation possible...

The Southeast Missourian March 5, 2003

From the Google News archives (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=SFOYbPikdlgC&dat=19491229&printsec=frontpage&hl=en, page 3) also comes this interesting story on early commercial efforts and risks taken to exploit the Macadamia Nut as a profitable food crop in Hawai`i...

The Spartanburg Herald-Journal December 29, 1949

Robert Gribbroek, late Warner Brothers Cartoon unit layout artist and background painter, used Macadamia Nuts in his 1959 winning recipe for Pork Tenderloin Javanese (Google News http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=dXBh7-90p_YC&dat=19591208&printsec=frontpage&hl=en, page 3)...

Lodi News-Sentinel December 8, 1959

Tiki and Macadamia Nuts have had a close relationship since 1960, when Mamoru Takitani enlisted an art teacher friend to design a logo for his newly purchased Honolulu candy company that he renamed Hawaiian Host...

Photo by Johnny Dollar on Flickr

Finally, a caution for Macadamia Nut lovers: keep them away from your dogs, as they are highly toxic to them. Chocolate covered Macadamia Nuts are doubly so.

-Tom

komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-14 7:12 pm   Permalink

The B.O.N.K, or Barts' Original Nut Kracker, was developed for
macadamia, very simple and very effective.

One time, while living in northern New South Wales not far from Byron Bay,
the property was bordered on two sides by macadamia plantations,
we hardly ever nicked any....honest.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bonj
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-15 01:17 am   Permalink

I can attest to the effectiveness of the BONK. I have owned a couple over the years. Nothing defines christmas in this part of the world like cracking macadamia nuts, and sipping beer in the summer heat.

View Profile of Bonj Send a personal message to Bonj      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-15 5:02 pm   Permalink

Komohana & Bonj, never heard of it, but the B.O.N.K. certainly looks like a seriously effective nutcracker. I suppose that you could also use it as a vise in a pinch . In the wrong hands, it would be a fearsome implement of torture...

Mele Kalikimaka to the Ohana Down Under!

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-25 12:16 pm   Permalink

While we were attending Ohana Luau’s “Christmas in Hawai`i” show at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach on December 17, Patti Santiago gave us a Volcano Bowl to add to our Blowfish Bar collection...

It now rests among the mini-bowls from the Moon Islander...

We recently received a beautiful art print from TC’s Sophista-tiki (Dawn Frasier) entitled “The Lost Village.” It complements the Polynesian décor at the rolltop desk, along with the hula girl lamp, Bahooka mug and Uncle Trav’s mini-hut...

Hope everyone’s enjoying a wonderful holiday, though with a high temperature of 75° F here at the Blowfish Bar today, it’s hard to believe it is Christmas...

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-07 09:01 am   Permalink

Happy 2012 to everyone, as we approach the start of the Chinese astrological Year of the Dragon!

Sunrise with a hot cup of java at the Blowfish Bar is always a treat. It makes me think of The Endless Summer poster from the classic 1966 Bruce Brown surf movie, with its brilliant DayGlo colors. In the 1960s surfing days of my youth, I had one of these on my bedroom wall illuminated by a blacklight...

I was fortunate to recently snag a pair of Stephen Crane’s Luau restaurant salt and pepper shakers for the Blowfish Bar. Does anyone know the inspiration for the figures? Cannibals, menehune... ?

-Tom

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-12 09:21 am   Permalink

Hi Tom, I decided it had been too long since I had checked out the tiki bar scene. What fun to find you had a thread here. I loved the remodel. I had to look at every page. I loved the backsplash as well as the creative bar. What a fun place to cook and hang out. It's so good to have met you. I'm still hoping for the visit in 2012. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation