FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-17 07:02 am   Permalink

After looking around for a while, we found a tropical print pattern in stain-resistant nylon carpeting that we liked for use as a bar floor mat and in the kitchen. Unfortunately, it came only in specific sizes that didn’t quite match our needs for the bar area. That problem was solved by Marjorie’s Rugs of Port Orange, Florida, who pieced individual carpets into a whole of the right overall size. The selected carpet pattern was “Jungle Fever in Ruby C/8000” from Milliken’s Signature Collection...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-17 08:22 am   Permalink

Beautiful Tom. I loved the carpets and seeing Roberts art hung on your walls. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-18 10:09 am   Permalink

Thank you, Wendy. I'm looking forward to enjoying your own special contributions to the Blowfish Bar's decor as well.

I never cease to appreciate the beauty of the dawn sky over the ocean. This morning, a crescent moon was still visible in the southeast...

Robert (zerostreet) is both a talented artist and a nice guy. He sent me this little miniature blowfish plaque, with "Blowfish Bar" painted in cursive below...

Mahalo, Robert!

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-18 6:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the nice words Tom (and Wendy!) The Blowfish got a primo spot! Of course all that rum may divert the eyes!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-18 6:19 pm   Permalink

Nice art indeed and good work on the carpet project. It all looks great!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-18 8:28 pm   Permalink

You've really hit the balance of having a space that looks well thought out and organized, but also comfortable and unforced. Thanks again for sharing it.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-31 12:09 pm   Permalink

Robert (zerostreet), VampiressRN and Professor G: thank you all, my friends, for dropping in and leaving your kind words.

---------

While at TikiHardBop and Tornado Tiki’s Brevard Pre-Hukilau Party 2012 in The Storm Shelter last weekend, I ran into an old friend, Ed Volonnino of
Ed’s Heads in Melbourne, Florida. Ed was there with his wife, Christina...

And, of course, where there’s Ed, there’s Heads...

(photo above by TornadoTiki)

That’s one that now graces the Blowfish Bar...

-Tom

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-01 03:54 am   Permalink

Looking good Tom! I have had the pleasure of meeting Ed in Melbourne at both the art fair and at Squid Lips- nice guy and certainly "one of us" in love of all things tiki. Check his work out at edsheadstikis.com

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-01 06:59 am   Permalink

Nice! That green really looks nice against your wall color!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-03 5:59 pm   Permalink

Checking in to see what's up and I get to see a terrific photo of the tiki chunk lamp. I'll send this on to Roge. Tomorrow I work on the sea creatures again. That's a beautiful corner of your home. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-04 08:39 am   Permalink

Bongo, glad you had the opportunity to meet Ed Volonnino. He really is a quite a nice fellow. Say, I recall you posted somewhere on TC that your son was moving (by now, already moved) to Melbourne. When you get back to the Florida neighborhood on a visit, give us a shout… maybe we can share a few cocktails and get acquainted.

Here’s an old newspaper photo of Ed in his youth, almost precisely 33 years ago...

Florida Today April 7, 1979

In those days, there was some serious competitive friction between Ed Volonnino and Wayne Coombs of Mai Tiki. As the years went by, both found their own unique market niche, and the tension between them mellowed out. From what I hear, they now spend quality social time together, as one might hope for two legends of Space Coast Tiki.

Here’s a Hometown News article about Ed from about five years ago...

Ed apparently has other talents, such as “spot-on” channeling of Mick Jagger; I haven’t witnessed this but look forward to a demonstration next time we meet...

---------

Robert, expect to be seeing you in a few weeks at Hukilau, where you’ll be tempting me with more of your outstanding art. You’re forcing me to get creative to find wall space...

---------

Wendy, thank you. Yes, please continue working on those sea creatures so we can keep Roge busy... can’t wait to view the finished project!

-Tom

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-04 10:30 am   Permalink

The bar looks great

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-06 09:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

Robert, expect to be seeing you in a few weeks at Hukilau, where you’ll be tempting me with more of your outstanding art. You’re forcing me to get creative to find wall space...

-Tom

Ha! Yes, see you there Tom!....and you know there's always the ceiling!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-07 7:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha, hang10tiki! Maybe you can give me a hand finding some space near the bar for more Robert (zerostreet) art...

-----------

This morning’s sunrise at the Blowfish Bar...

-----------

Just as a follow-up to Ed of Ed’s Heads, I’ve got a couple more newspaper and magazine clippings of his past exploits to share...

Space Coast Real Estate May, 1985

Orlando Sentinel October 23, 1987

Florida Today October 30, 1987

Never did see a movie come out of this. Looking through movie trailers, it doesn’t seem to be
this or this, or even this. Ed, if you’re out there, you may have to help me on this one...

-Tom

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-15 3:23 pm   Permalink

Now that was a lot of fun. What a history lesson. I bet there could be an all about Benzart thread too.

What's up next Tom? Wendy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation