FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-06 08:17 am   Permalink

Wendy, in answer to your question from the post above, the Blowfish Bar is celebrating the arrival of two beautiful mugs from danlovestikis, as posted in your thread and recapped here...

The Zombie Torch Mug

In examining the mug topography, you’ll note that certain anatomical features of interest are highlighted (the nipples are painted)...

The Fu Manchu Bob Mug

In accordance with the designer’s intent and the instructions included on the base, an authentic Doctor Funk cocktail was prepared based on the Mystic Isles of the South Seas recipe as interpreted by TropicDrinkBoy and Porpoise, then it was carefully decanted into Fu Manchu Bob. A toast to Herr Funk followed...

Pat joined in on the toast...

Then our two Wendy mugs took their place among the Tiki art atop the Blowfish Bar...

----------------

The beautiful Aloha shirt I wore above was the gift of Jackie Zumwalt (pa`akiki), a wonderful lady introduced to Pat and I by Sven Kirsten (bigbrotiki) during Hukilau 2012. We visited Jackie in her beautiful Fort Lauderdale home where she mixed delicious Mai Tais for us in her home Tiki bar, salvaged from the former home of Ren Clark by her and her husband, Frank (bifcozz)...

Here are Sven and I (in my Sophista-Tiki custom shirt) enjoying those Mai Tais next to the Ren Clark Polynesian Village logo Tiki carved by Milan Guanko...

Here is a much better photo of the bar taken by Sven on a subsequent visit to Jackie’s home with Jackie flanked by Martin Cate and Jeff “Beachbum” Berry...

Jackie shared many tales and her home was a living Tiki museum. Here’s another Sven photo of Jackie, Pat and I adjacent to a door that came from a Trader Vic’s...

It was only July of last year that a boat explosion occurred, tragically ending the life of Frank Zumwalt and severely injuring Jackie. She has made a remarkable recovery and one would have no idea to look at her of the burns that affected even her face. She was such a gracious host, and sharing more time with her at the Mai-Kai made this Hukilau all the more special to us. Her lilting Scottish brogue was music to the ears. Here is a photo I took with Sven’s camera of the trio of Pat, Sven and Jackie in front of the Mai-Kai...

It is a small world in the sense that I met Jackie online several years ago in the Moon Islander thread where she (as pa`akiki) posted menu photos to correspond with the drink recipes I had posted from the former Moon Islander bartender’s notebook. What fun to meet the person behind those posts! We hope to reciprocate by hosting Jackie soon at the Blowfish Bar...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-06 11:36 am   Permalink

Outstanding...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-07 07:50 am   Permalink

Another great post Tom!

"Outstanding" is a great adjective for all you share with the rest of us on TC. Keep it up!

Mahalo

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-07 11:31 am   Permalink

I wished I could have joined you guys at Jackie's, but I had to catch my flight out. Loved meeting her and "biff" last year at Hukilau...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-07 2:32 pm   Permalink

Great visuals, Tom. An eclectic mug collection you have there, and yes, the visit to Jackie's house was one of the highlights of my trip.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-07 2:48 pm   Permalink

Great pictures Tom, thank you!

And look! We're twins!! Sorry Sven!

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-07 4:15 pm   Permalink

hang10tiki and Q-Tiki, mahalo both for your visits and your gracious feedback.

Swanky, sorry you didn’t have more time to go walkabout. This was our third Hukilau and by far the most fun. Not only were the Mai-Kai symposia by you, Sven and Jeff superlative, but the time spent off the program socializing with others both in the Mai-Kai and elsewhere made the experience truly memorable...

Sven had some great ideas for local exploration such as the
Bonnet House Museum and Gardens. He’s certainly convinced me of the merit in allocating time for exploration and local Ohana visits in conjunction with Hukilau. It just ought to be part of the program. By the way, did you know that there’s a connection between the Bonnet House and Paul Gauguin’s 1894 masterpiece, Day of the Gods (Mahana No Atua)...

Aloha, Sven! It was sure hard to come back from Hukilau festivities and jump right into the final throes of launch operations. But, with a successful rocket launch last Friday, I’ve got a bit of a breather to reengage my favorite pastime.

Chris (WestADad), as my much more trim twin, I’m heartened to see you share the same fine taste in Aloha shirts from Dawn (Sophista-Tiki).

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-07 5:19 pm   Permalink

Hey Tom! As I mentioned in the Hukilau thread, great meeting and spending time with you and Pat!

As usual, great stuff in this thread! I myself will be taking the family to the Bonnet House soon!

R.

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 08:01 am   Permalink

Tom, you are such a space age primitive! I think I knew something about the Gauguin connection, but forgot - didn't they own that painting at one point?

Yeah, I was amazed that some of the locals I talked to had never been to Bonnet House. It is such an island in the center of beach tourist-ville. It is right in the middle of the busy "strip" along the beach, wedged in between hotels, souvenir shops and pizza joints:

Quote from the website:
"Due to the threat posed by inappropriately massive nearby development, the National Trust and the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation designated listed Bonnet House as one of America’s 11 most endangered sites in 2008."

You find the entrance to the park on a white condo-lined side street, and all of a sudden you come upon THIS:

I went there two years ago and took some pics. Robert, you will like it there: The owners liked MONKEYS:

And so, not only are the descendants of those monkeys jumping around in the trees on the property...

...but because the owners were artists...

..they also had eclectic taste in their decor....

..so you can find some nice and weird monkey statuary:

And not only did they hang African and Oceanic art in the courtyard...

...but off to the side of their coral/ sea shell collection room...

...they have an intact pre-Tiki bamboo bar!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 08:43 am   Permalink

Okay, gotta check that out. That area is the old stuff too. As in, various Charles McKirahan designed motel/hotels and just great vintage hotel goodness.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikirancher
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 12:11 pm   Permalink

Sweet renovation....night and day! good job

View Profile of tikirancher Send a personal message to tikirancher  Email tikirancher Goto the website of tikirancher     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pa'akiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-08 3:00 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tom and Pat,

It was great to meet and spend time with you both at Hukilau this year I had intended only to go to swanky, sven and Jeff beachbum berry seminars and then go home. I am glad you wanted me to stay and party with you Friday and Saturday night. Saturday night the Mai Kai dinner shows are always magical but what people would have missed is that bifcozz showed up happy sipping his rum and coke in the middle of all the fun. Strange but true.... The Hukilau documentary showed some clips and there he was at the Mai kai with me for a couple of seconds I found it weird but comforting. Thanks again Tom and Pat for insisting I stay for the dinner and the show. I am looking forward to visiting the Blowfish Bar what a great job you have done I love the mural.
Jackie

View Profile of pa'akiki Send a personal message to pa'akiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-08 6:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I went there two years ago and took some pics. Robert, you will like it there: The owners liked MONKEYS:

Thanks for the pics Sven, I'll get out there soon! This may creep out my kids but I'm sure I'm gonna love it!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-08 6:10 pm   Permalink

Robert (zerostreet), sharing breakfast at the hotel with you and Amanda was another highlight of Hukilau for us. Too bad we didn’t also get to meet Homer, the canine inspiration behind the art!

Sven, guilty as charged! Your memory is excellent… Paul Gauguin’s Day of the Gods was in the art collection of Frederic Clay Bartlett and Helen, his wife, the original occupants of the Bonnet House, and was donated by Frederic to the Art Institute of Chicago. Your photo storyboard of the Bonnet House is fascinating. As Swanky stated, it is a must see!

tikirancher, thanks for dropping in and commenting!

Wow, Jackie, that’s truly an extraordinary Mai-Kai experience! All I can say is that we were glad that you were there with us. We really look forward to your visit...

It’s spring time at the Blowfish Bar, and Pat has been busy planting flowers. One of the unintended effects is that Ben Chard, our formerly fierce entry guardian Tiki carved by Keylo, now menaces all passers-by with flower power...

-Tom

TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-19 7:59 pm   Permalink

While browsing at Art & Alligators during Hukilau 2012, I came across a breathtaking Polynesian giclee print signed by McVicker, stated to be of the Polynesian Room mural in the Yankee Clipper Hotel (now known as the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel). Regardless of its origin, I had to have it, for it so perfectly encapsulated Mid-Century Poly Pop...

On getting back to my room, I found this Tiki Central
thread from 2006 on the subject, started by thegreenman. Humuhumu also posted about it on her Humu Kon Tiki website. The quest for more information on the artist and the art went unanswered for five years, then in September of 2011, McVicker’s daughter posted an answer to the mystery on Humuhumu’s website...

I found this Roger Lloyd McVicker obituary on legacy.com...

In another of life’s odd coincidences, you’ll note that the one guest book entry came from someone in Flagler Beach, about 260 miles up the east coast of Florida from Fort Lauderdale Beach, in the same beachside town that I live in. I found a matching name in my local phone directory and called on a whim. Answering the phone was the same Janet Powell who was Roger McVicker’s friend! Janet and her husband had come to Fort Lauderdale in September of 1957, in the year after the Yankee Clipper opened. They moved to Flagler Beach about 14 years ago because of some very personal experiences with the increasing crime in South Florida. Her husband since passed away, but she only lives about five blocks from me.

Earlier tonight, Janet dropped by to see the Polynesian art print that I’d just had framed. Pat and I had picked out some red suede matting that nicely highlighted it...

Janet was quite impressed with the Polynesian scene but not surprised at the quality of Roger McVicker’s work, as she was already familiar with his considerable artistic talents. Here’s her photo admiring the print...

During her many years in Fort Lauderdale, Janet and her husband had frequented the Polynesian Room and the Wreck Bar in the Yankee Clipper, as well as the Mai-Kai. However, she only got to know Roger McVicker late in life. As fate would have it, Janet agreed to help a pharmacist by looking in on his elderly mother who had lost much of her vision. The woman lived in the Royal Park Condos in Oakland Park right next door to Roger. During her frequent visits, Janet met and became good friends with Roger. Janet was an expert quilter and Roger had an appreciation for the artistic quality of her work. Janet said that he remained active as a commercial artist, working right in his condo on various projects and proposals. She described his architectural rendering drawings as so detailed and lifelike that they appeared as if they were photos, though he remained an unknown talent because his work was bundled in with all the other components of a commercial bid package.

Janet described Roger as a slender man of short stature with a gentlemanly disposition that never faltered. He invested his life savings in a dot-com enterprise that went bankrupt when the bubble burst, and she believes that this weighed heavily on his wellbeing. I ran across this article in the news archives that corroborates Janet’s story (note that Roger McVicker is cited from a telephone interview)...

Las Vegas Review-Journal October 14, 2000

Janet was able to confirm that a small photo I found on the internet was indeed Roger McVicker, though it was clearly when he was much younger...

-Tom

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTomD 2012-05-20 09:49 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation