FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Blowfish Bar – Flagler Beach, FL
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-23 09:10 am   Permalink

Those lucky enough to possess a copy of Sven Kirsten’s Tiki Modern can turn to page 124 in the chapter entitled “A-Frames, Tailfins, and the Jet Age” to see a photographed image of Roger McVicker’s Polynesian Fire Dance.

If you have any interest in the history of the Yankee Clipper, check out Tiki-Kate’s Tiki Central
thread on the Polynesian Room in the Locating Tiki forum. I’ve been adding to the great information already posted there.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-23 4:02 pm   Permalink

What a fantastic find Tom! That is a very special piece of artwork and I agree that it seems to truly represent the poly-pop era.
Do you have any idea if the print was part of a numbered run or was it a one-of-a-kind?

Once again, an amazing job with the research!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-23 5:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha Q-tiki!

The Roger McVicker print came with a certificate indicating it was #10 of 100. If you're interested, contact Freda or Jim Nichols of Art and Alligators at their email address,
artandalligators@aol.com. Send me a Personal Message if you want a phone number.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-23 9:48 pm   Permalink

TikiTomD I just caught up with your thread. It was an honor to be on the same page as Jackie (she and her husband supplied Dan's collection with many fine tikis and we we so saddened by his passing) and the Bonnet House. You certainly have gotten around this year and made so many friends. I'm glad to be one of them. Florida must be a fine state. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 08:33 am   Permalink

Mahalos Tom!

I'll send an email to them to get some additional info.

Cheers!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-27 08:25 am   Permalink

Wendy, I'm honored to be your friend!

Q-tiki, hope you can swing one of the McVicker Polynesian Fire Dance prints.

------------

We’re battening down the hatches this morning at the Blowfish Bar in anticipation of Sub-Tropical Storm Beryl. The expectation is that it will be no worse than a winter Nor’easter.

Among the treasured booty from Hukilau 2012 was a Mai-Kai Mystery Girl art print by Robert Jiménez (zerostreet) and a Mermaid pencil sketch by Robert’s talented young daughter, Amanda...

I’m supposing the expressive faces represent appreciative porthole viewers at the Wreck Bar.

Just got the Mai-Kai Mystery Girl print back from the framer...

She joins other favorite art by Robert over the sliding glass door...

It’s appropriate that she is in proximity to Swanky’s beautiful Mai-Kai Mystery Girl Bowl...

Hurricane Hayward posted an informative review of the Mystery Drink on his blog,
The Atomic Grog. Swanky researched the earliest origins of the Mystery Drink, coming up with the menu evidence that the Mai-Kai’s Mystery Drink preceded that of its earliest known competitor for that claim, the Kahiki, which opened in 1961. Here's Swanky's blog on the subject. I found a 1958 article in the news archives that also supports the Mai-Kai as the original source, and then there’s this November 6, 1959 ad from The Miami News that equally settles the case (there were earlier 1959 ads just like this one in the same paper)...

There is a news article claim that the first Mai-Kai Mystery Drink went to a South Florida entertainment columnist. Swanky gives some credence to this, given the Mai-Kai’s undoubted desire for publicity regarding the event. That columnist later went on to locally perform standup comedy routines. He also wrote scripts for British comedian Benny Hill. For those of you who don’t know Benny Hill (he died in 1992), here’s a video sample. Charlie Chaplin was said to be a Benny Hill admirer.

-Tom

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-27 4:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting Tom! I'm quite honored to have taken up such a significant part of your square footage!

By the way Amanda's face completely lit up when I showed and read her your post! Thanks so much! Her other drawing sold a few hours after you and Pat stopped by. So she sold out all her inventory!

R.

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-27 5:09 pm   Permalink

Love the bar

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-03 12:29 pm   Permalink

Robert and hang10tiki, thank you kindly for your visits.

The Blowfish Bar is temporarily out of service while I engage in the final planned major remodeling project at my beach house...

There are two bathrooms at the beach house, one upstairs and one at the ground level. I’m adding a second upstairs bathroom to improve accessibility to this most essential of features, especially to be appreciated when hosting overnight guests and parties at the bar. There are always trades to be made, and the trade in this case is a bit more than half of my upstairs sunroom.

I did the layout design and then handed it over to my local architectural designer for incorporation into a set of official plans stamped by a licensed Professional Engineer, as required by the city building department. Like before, I pulled my own permit as owner-contractor. I am ably supported by the professional services of a master carpenter, plumber and electrician, all licensed local folks who are really good at their respective trades. It’s still a mess to live through...

In the meantime, the local citizenry are heatedly engaged over a
new ordinance to ban beach bonfires during the turtle nesting season, possibly to include even Tiki torches, as well as permit requirements for beach bonfires when the turtles aren't nesting. I was fortunate to grow up on the coast and enjoy the beach in a time before there were night patrols looking for bonfire permits, among other things...

-Tom

komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-03 7:44 pm   Permalink

Wow Tom, am totally floored by your fine and constantly
expanding Tiki art collection.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2013-03-23 20:57 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 05:40 am   Permalink

So where is this in relation to the mural? That's still going to be there, right?

And will I still get to use the vintage Trader Vic's chamber pot?

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-06 5:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha, komohana. I’d love to just keep adding more Tiki art, but it’s about to the point where anything new must displace something old. That encumbers future acquisitions with a painful choice.

George (TikiHardBop), the Polynesian mural is unaffected by the remodeling. The new bath will be to the west behind the bedrooms. The vintage Trader Vic’s chamber pot is yours to use and enjoy for the foreseeable future, and the ocean’s only a few steps away if it’s occupied, or if you lose your way after a tad too many rum-infused cocktails

-Tom

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-22 08:39 am   Permalink

Tom keep posting the re-model photos. I'm looking forward to seeing how you decorate your new space. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-23 07:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-22 08:39, danlovestikis wrote:
Tom keep posting the re-model photos. I'm looking forward to seeing how you decorate your new space. Wendy

Yes! The last set of remodeling pics were epic!....of course I realize this is a much smaller job!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-24 2:24 pm   Permalink

Wendy and Robert, I’ll post a bit of the remodeling progress here, as it is connected to servicing the bar patrons and will have Hawaiiana and/or Tiki elements when I finish, though bigbrotiki will again be justified in observing that this is more suited to a home renovation site...

The only space available to me within the roof line for this project was the upstairs sunroom containing my home office and a sitting area with total dimensions of about 7’6” wide and 25’0” long...

North end of sunroom before remodeling

South end of sunroom before remodeling

The sliding glass door on the left looking to the south end is passage to the guest bedroom, whereas the sliding glass door on the right looking to the north end is passage to the master bedroom. My plan was to add a bathroom using the south end of the sunroom, taking up a bit more than half of the total sunroom length...

After giving away some furniture that would no longer have a place and temporarily moving just about everything out of the guest bedroom, there was yet another space more formidable to vacate for this project, the garage, as plumbing and wiring access from below would be required. That also meant that old built-in cabinets would need to be torn out for utility access. The garage ceiling had a popcorn finish that was failing in some places, so I decided that there would never be a better opportunity to scrape the ceilings and get rid of it. That’s a hazard in home remodeling, ever expanding scope.

All Florida Storage in Daytona Beach rents watertight, airtight shipping containers, the kind used on container ships. They are cheaper to rent than PODS, and so heavy that there is little likelihood that a tropical storm could blow them around. So that’s where the contents of the garage temporarily went...

My plans required that the sliding glass door to the guest bedroom be eliminated, leaving only one door for entry and exit of that bedroom. The Florida Building Code requires at least two means of egress from any bedroom, one of which can be a window with an opening that is big enough for a person to climb through (the Code specifies minimum square footage of the opening). Fortunately, I had two hurricane rated windows at the south end of the sunroom that met the Code opening size requirement, and that also needed to be removed from the sunroom to acquire needed empty wall space. So, the solution was to relocate those windows to the guest bedroom exterior wall...

Sunroom windows relocated to guest bedroom exterior wall and wall framed in on sunroom end...

Framing and plumbing for steam shower; vertical pipe is drain line vent...

Framing to close off former sliding glass door opening (viewed from bedroom)...

Start of framing for pocket door entry and towel closet...

In the garage, routing of new water lines from the hot water heater, as well as drain lines from the existing bathroom drain headers...

A new electrical sub-panel was required for the steam shower, due to lack of spare breakers in the existing load center (new panel left of load center)...

The flexible electrical cable connected to breakers and coiled up next to the load center is the “suicide cord” for the portable generator, a necessity for living through Florida’s hurricanes. The panels below the load center are for the sprinkler and telephones. You can see some of the wall scars from the torn out built-in cabinets.

Popcorn scraping of the garage ceiling has completed and framing for new soffit to hide the air conditioning ducting and new plumbing is underway...

While everything was torn up, I called in Palm Coast Heating and Air to replace the old and deteriorating A/C supply plenum. They also relocated the A/C supply vents upstairs to work with the new bathroom. In the foreground you can see the crates for the new Aquapeutics steam shower, with some assembly required This was the second delivery of a steam shower, as the first one arrived with shipping crates crushed and tempered glass shards everywhere. I did get a bonus out of it... a bunch of steam shower spare parts as the supplier had no use for a shower in more pieces than they sent it.

Upstairs in the guest bedroom, insulation and drywall has been installed, taping and mudding has been completed, and a real dusty mess is underway as the finish coatings are applied...

Drywall finishing is also underway in the new bathroom...

Andy Porada came to take measurements for the new vanity and cabinets...

Andy is the same guy who did the cabinet work for the Blowfish Bar itself, to my design...

I’m hopeful that the worst of this transient mess will be over by July 4... in the meantime, I’ll be mellowing out with a few of my favorite rum cocktails. The project has been moving along pretty well, and, most importantly, the Building Inspector is happy with it thus far...

-Tom

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation