FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The perils of passion fruit
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The perils of passion fruit
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 07:37 am   Permalink

Just saw that Monin carries a shelf-stable Passion Fruit Purée. Wonder how that would fare as a passion fruit syrup.

Anybody try it?

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-04 09:27 am   Permalink

Nice find! I'll have to check it out. Here's a link:

http://www.moninstore.com/passion-fruit-puree-6289.html

A quick check on Amazon shows that they don't have the passion purée, but they carry other flavors and they are all highly rated. No HFCS, but a few preservatives and some artificial colors. All in all it's probably a great solution if you don't feel like plunking down the money for regular purée that won't last long.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-01-04 09:32 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-01-04 09:45 am   Permalink

I should also note, 27 different drinks in the Tiki+ app call for either passion fruit syrup or juice.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 10:07 am   Permalink

I just bought a Taiwanese brand of passionfruit syrup from my local chinese grocery.

will test and advise.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-01-04 11:48 am   Permalink

It'll probably taste like melamine and lead.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-05 09:39 am   Permalink

it keeps in the fridge just fine... ive barely used the reynolds that i have and its still ok

http://bgreynolds.com/products/passion-fruit

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-01-05 10:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-05 09:39, nomeus wrote:
it keeps in the fridge just fine... ive barely used the reynolds that i have and its still ok

http://bgreynolds.com/products/passion-fruit

This prompted me to do a little investigation. It turns out sugar, like salt, creates an osmotic barrier, meaning it draws moisture out of bacteria. If the sugar content is high enough, bacteria can't live within it. Some molds can grow on top of it, but that's it. It's possible that the sugar content in the BG Reynolds passion fruit syrup is high enough that this is true. I put a bottle of it in my freezer and noted that it became thick but didn't freeze, likely because of the high sugar content. So it may be that the refrigerator is enough of a secondary preservative to keep it fresh for a long period of time, although not indefinitely.

Thanks for the tip, nomeus.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-05 5:18 pm   Permalink

I haven't opened my BG Reynolds' Passion Fruit yet because its something I use so rarely and don't want to waste it. I have a Torani Passion Fruit Syrup open that I've hardly dented. I'd like to say that it is fairly decent but I can't comment on it - based on other Torani syrups its quite possible that it's trash.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-02 7:16 pm   Permalink

Normally, I get Finest Call passion fruit puree, either from Lukas Liquor, or online from BevMo. Today I discovered that my local international food market carries Goya frozen passion fruit pulp. The Mexican grocery near me does not carry passion fruit in any form. So I'll be making my own syrup for the first time tonight. I'm a fan of the "Dr. Cocktail" Zombie.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-02 9:41 pm   Permalink

Here's my first time making passion fruit syrup. I don't know if this is the correct strength or thickness, but it damn sure tastes good.

The frozen passion fruit pulp came from Global Foods International Market in Kirkwood, MO. I used 2 of the 4 packets of Goya frozen passion fruit pulp. 7oz pulp, 7oz turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw), 5oz water

Dump it all in a pan. Mmmmm!

Let it get to a fast simmer on high-medium heat. Stir it with a spreader.

I guess you can strain it. Or you could just pour it on ice cream. Or pancakes. Or in your mouth. Yeah, that sugary pulp does not taste at all like heaven in a spoon, either. Nope.

I ended up with a little over 12 ounces of strained syrup. Since I used turbinado, there is a little more molasses in it, so a warmer flavor, and darker color.

[ This Message was edited by: Greg_D_R 2014-07-02 22:19 ]

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-07-03 10:56 am   Permalink

Just tasted it after a night in the fridge. It blows away Finest Call Passion Fruit puree. The flavor is more full and natural. Mixing it will be the real test, later tonight.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 11:52 am   Permalink

Aunty Lilikoi

Great stuff. I buy it 6 bottles at a time, which fits in one box for shipping. Then I put 5 on the shelf and one in the fridge. Never had one go bad. The small bottles keep it fresher and they fit in the shelf of the mini fridge behind the bar right alongside the pineapple juice cans.

It can be too strong for some. So you pour a little less than called for and it goes even further.

B.G.'s product is good, but his shipping is crazy. I can get 6 bottles from Hawaii cheaper than the same amount from BG.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation