FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Zombie Recipe
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Zombie Recipe
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-25 12:20 pm   Permalink

For you TC'ers in the Washington DC area, there's a Chinese Restaurant in McLean Virginia called "Forbidden City" on old dominion drive (703-821-9000). They make a pretty good Zombie, especially if you get "Ping" to make them for you. Ask for Ping, and tell him I sent you I might get a free one out of it! They also happen to have excellent food there too.

David Chan's Zombies were pretty damned good too. I really miss the Honolulu Restaurant in our area. Too bad Dave and Anna wanted to retire...

TikiGap

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-02-14 11:56 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-06 5:54 pm   Permalink

They compared 6 Zombie recipies in the Kaiser Penguin blog yesterday. Here's the lineup in order from best to worst:

1. Dr. Cocktail
2. Beachbum Berry
3. Gary Regan v2
4. Trader Vic
5. Dale DeGroff
6. Gary Regan v1

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/zombie-recipe-comparison/

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 8:11 pm   Permalink

Hey Jab,
which is your favorite Zombie?
I'm very fond of the Zombie from Tiki Ti.
I don't know how traditional it is.
But I love the taste, and it has a great kick to it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-07 10:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-06 20:11, bigtikidude wrote:
Hey Jab,
which is your favorite Zombie?
I'm very fond of the Zombie from Tiki Ti.
I don't know how traditional it is.
But I love the taste, and it has a great kick to it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I love the Zombies at 3 bars, in no particular order:
1. Forbidden Island
2. Mai-Kai
3. Tiki Ti
To pick a favorite without comparing them side-by-side is impossible, but for now my fave is Forbidden Island's.

As far as recipes go, my favorite is a tie between the one in Intoxica (and also in Dr. Cocktail's book) and the one in the Don the Beachcomber book "Hawaii, Tropical Rum Drinks and Cuisine" (as posted earlier by Al).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-07 6:52 pm   Permalink

Thank you sir,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 10:45 am   Permalink

Here's something you Zombie fans might be interested in. I picked up this souvenir photograph at a local antique emporium this morning. According to ancient Zombie history, it first acheived mass popularity at the New York 1939 World's Fair. Well, here's a snazzily dressed couple hoisting said libation at the fair!

The name on the front cover refers to legendary Broadway producer, owner of the Copacabana nightclub, and several Beachcomber restaurants, Monte Proser.

If you wish, you may view the full-size scans here and here.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2006-07-08 10:45 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 4:44 pm   Permalink

Wow. Do I know how to stop a thread dead in its tracks, or what?

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-10 16:44, MrBaliHai wrote:
Wow. Do I know how to stop a thread dead in its tracks, or what?

You're almost as good at it as I am. I guess the nice thing is we always get the last word

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-12 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-10 18:04, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
You're almost as good at it as I am. I guess the nice thing is we always get the last word

NOT SO FAST!

Looking though all of these recipes I keep seeing a common, yet obviously complex theme, at least with the post 'Lodge of Amiable Amateur Mixers', Don the Beachcomber versions. Basically it seems to boil down to this set of flavors:

Zing-Ping-Tang! (lime, pineapple, grapefruit juice),

Exotic Spice (Falernum and/or spiced rum and even sometimes orgeat....or Herbsaint?),

Lots o'rum (aged/gold, dark-demerara and maybe some 151/over proofed rum-for the fear factor),

Liquorice buzz (Pernod, Absinthe Pernod),

Bitter bite (Absinthe Pernod & Angostura bitters or applejack to try and replace the Absinthe),

AND smooth sweet fruits (apricot, mango, papaya, cherry, even passionfruit)

I think it's a kind of a balancing act which is classic in many Chinese dishes (I guess it's the 'chef by trade' in me that sees this? ), sweet&sour-ying&yang.....

So here is my easily do-able version that covers all the bases:

2 oz pineapple juice
2 oz papaya or mango juice (or apricot nectar?)
2 oz aged and/or gold rum
2 oz deep dark and/or demarara rum
1 oz spiced rum
1 oz lime juice
1/2 oz Pernod or Anisette
1/2 oz Apricot brandy/liquor
1/4 oz Grenadine
2 dashes of Angostura bitters
splash of cherry juice

Blend with a moderate amount of ice and serve in a tall glass/Tiki mug (my favorite is the Drei Moai) garnished with a skewered lime, cherry and pineapple.

Of course a splash of 151 on top wouldn't hurt or IF you happen to have a Czech friend you could try and get some Absinthe and find out why it REALLY was called

a ZOMBIE!

[ This Message was edited by: rattiki 2006-09-13 05:53 ]

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-12 11:23 am   Permalink

Here's another recipe, just fer fun, this is from one of the strangest drink guides I've ever seen, the nefarious "Here's How" by W.C. Whitfield, published in a wooden-cover book by Three Mountaineers at Asheville, NC., 1941. YEEEE HAW!

I like this because it substitutes accuracy for kick;

3/4 oz heavy-bodied rum (96 proof)
3/4 oz dark Porto Rican rum
3/4 oz light Porto Rican rum
3/4 oz red rum
1/2 oz apricot brandy
3/4 oz pineapple juice
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp. brown sugar
Shake well with ice, strain into a tall glass, float 151 rum on top, garnish with mint, pineapple, and cherries.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thinkingbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-12 5:39 pm   Permalink

Did no-one sort out who created the Zombie then? being as Patrick Gavin Duffy wrote it up first in 1934?

Is there any final verdict?

Cheers!

George S.

g.sinclair[at]yahoo.co.uk

http://www.wiki.webtender.com/wiki/

View Profile of thinkingbartender Send a personal message to thinkingbartender  Email thinkingbartender Goto the website of thinkingbartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-10 05:41 am   Permalink

Made my first Zombie last night. Recipe from "The Official Mixer's Manual" by Patrick Gavin Duffy (found at a antique/collectibles store), Unga Bunga has it posted on p.2 of this thread. Tasted exactly like the ones I remembered from the Vietnamese restaurant when I was 18. How do I remember that? I have no idea, it's the first time I've had that (type of) experience, but I do know it was the same. A worthy recipe (IMO) and an excellent cocktail.

Alcohol used:
Pusser's = 90 proof (actually 92)
Barbancourt 5 star = 86 proof
Bacardi white = white label
Bacardi 151 = 151 (can't find Lemon Hart anywhere, not even online. Somebody with a clue, help me out here?)
Laird's Applejack = Apple Brandy

I'm still scouting for Passion fruit syrup. I have to try the Dr. Cocktail version yet.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 10:12 pm   Permalink

Alas, I can't resist throwing in one more formula. My best friend and I went through a lot of Zombie recipes back... gosh, going on 30 years ago! (pre-Grog Log. TV's Bartender's Guide was our cocktail Bible, back then.) We really liked the taste of a good, strong rum drink, as in a proper Mai Tai. Most of the recipes we found for Zombies tended to overpower the rum with lots of sicky-sweet grenadine (gak!), over-fruitiness and gratuitous complexity. Finally I found one in Grossman's Guide (of all places) that, with a few tweaks, really sung our tune.
If you like a strong rum drink with a dominant rum taste, wonderful bouquet, not very sweet, you might try this recipe. As Zombie recipes go, it's not especially complicated, either.

ZOMBIE
3/4 oz lime juice (save a shell)
3/4 oz pineapple juice
1 teaspoon Falernum syrup (Sazerac, back then; now Fee Bros.)
1 oz light rum (e.g., Puerto Rican)
2 oz medium rum (e.g., gold Jamaican)
1 ounce dark Jamaican rum (e.g., Myers's)
1/2 ounce apricot liqueur or brandy
1/2 ounce 151-proof Demerara rum (Lemon Hart, for float)
Shake all but Demerara with ice and a spent lime shell, strain into 14-ounce chimney glass (or other tall glass) filled with crushed ice. Float the Demerara. Garnish with pineapple chunks/cherry on a pick, and mint sprigs.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2007-01-15 12:05 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-25 11:01 pm   Permalink

So.. what's the verdict?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-16 6:31 pm   Permalink

Just made the original 1934 ZOMBIE (PUNCH) as found on Pg.121 of
Beachbum Berry's excellent tome, "SIPPIN SAFARI."
It took some effort and a few buck$ to gather all the ingredients (or their modern equivalents)
but it was well worth it. As Donn Beach would say,

"It's off the heezy fo' sheezy!"

Nothing like the syrupy sweet liquid candy that these joints are pushing today but a real
cocktail: flavorful, complex, and, ultimately, EXOTIC.

I have been transported to another place: the kitchen floor.
Should've called it quits after one but what the hell?

Long live Beachbum Berry! And while we're at it: Long live Halle Berry!

(BTW, I used Starbucks cinnamon syrup and store brand grapefruit juice to make "Don's Mix" and having forgotten to pick up fresh limes, ReaLime, and the damn drink still slays, so there ya go.)

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation