FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Zombie Recipe
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Zombie Recipe
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 09:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-23 08:59, Johnny Dollar wrote:
mixed feelings... hopefully they might be inclined to make it better the second time around.

Their substitutions make no sense. Why would you use Bacardi Razz for Jamaican rum?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-12 10:24 am   Permalink

Well I've just made a Zombie using the 1934 recipe. Amazing! It is a fantastic drink. Even I can't drink it fast! Packs a flavour-some punch.

Hope I can still cook the dinner after drinking that!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-12 10:24 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2008-08-05 05:58 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-12 12:38 pm   Permalink

Normally I make the 1950 recipe Zombie. Last weekend I made some falernum and yesterday I made Don's mix. So today I am making the 1934 Zombie punch. Holy Crap! It hits you like a freight train...of course in a good way. The spicy flavor is much different than the more citrus flavored 1950. Don had the right idea.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-12 11:23 pm   Permalink

The recipe I am adding to this long history of dedicated research is sort of pointless, because it is for a long gone premix:

However, visuals is MY business, and I feel this thread is seriously lacking in some Zombie imagery, so I thought I ad some shots of the splendid illustrations on this 1930s mini bottle:

Civilized gentlemen enjoying the concoction somewhere in the tropics, and next: Wild men, prostrating in front of the new god!:

Remember what I wrote in the Book of Tiki: In the history of Polynesian pop, the figure of the Zombie was the predecessor to the Tiki!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Staredge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-17 2:43 pm   Permalink

From Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink, Pg. 70 (1946)

"Here's my idea of a killer-diller. Why people drink them I don't know, but I'll bet you make one before you throw this book away, and I'll bet you drink more of these than any other drink in the book. Don the Beachcomber originated the drink and since then there have been as many different formulas as there are for Planter's Punch. Heres a simplified version for home use.

1 oz Jamaica Rum
2 oz Puerto Rican Rum
1/2 oz Demerara 151
1 oz orange curacao
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz orange juice
1/2 oz grenadine
1 dash Pernod or Herbsaint

Put ingredients in large mixing glass with a large piece of ice; stir well and pour over cracked ice in a chimney glass.
This drink may also be made in large quantities for use in punch bowls. Oh-ho, what a party that'll be! Personally, I think it's too damn strong, but people seem to like it that way."

Will

View Profile of Staredge Send a personal message to Staredge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chinarose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-17 8:14 pm   Permalink

I just made a couple of Zombies using the 1934 recipe, and I thought the demerara rum (Lemon Hart 151) really overpowered the drink. It also really packs an alcoholic punch. I think I'll try it again with all the other ingredients in the same proportions but omit the demerara. The drink really tasted of brown sugar or molasses and leather. The licorice came through, too, but that was about it. I was very surprised because I expected to really love this cocktail and followed the recipe to the letter.

View Profile of Chinarose Send a personal message to Chinarose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-17 11:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-12 12:38, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Normally I make the 1950 recipe Zombie. Last weekend I made some falernum and yesterday I made Don's mix. So today I am making the 1934 Zombie punch. Holy Crap! It hits you like a freight train...of course in a good way. The spicy flavor is much different than the more citrus flavored 1950. Don had the right idea.

This hits the nail on the head. Spot on description.

Time for a Zombie weekend!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 2:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the pictures, Sven. I'd like to take that Zombie label and turn it into a framed print!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-19 12:55 pm   Permalink

I second GatorRob -- that label would make a wonderful full-color print, maybe in a bamboo frame.

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-05 8:55 pm   Permalink

I am really wanting to try to make a Zombie such as the ones served at Forbidden Island (my fav)--but I have been searching for 20 minutes and cant find where its mentioned as to what the recipe is or as to what recipe they use.

Can someone please assist me? I am 99% sure that Martin mentioned it somewhere but I cant freakin find it and its driving me bonkers! Any help would be appreciated

OK IGNORE THIS...

I found it!

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2009-06-05 21:07 ]

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 10:27 am   Permalink

In several places within this thread, there is discussion of a minor controversy regarding the Zombie recipe in Patrick Gavin Duffy's The Official Mixer's Manual, first published in 1934. (The book was commissioned by the publisher, and it appears they retained the copyright.) This is the recipe that appeared on page 89 of Berry's Grog Log, as "an anonymous 1934 attempt to reproduce" the Don the Beachcomber Zombie. (Berry actually found the recipe in an early-90s Santa Monica newspaper article, attributed to an unnamed 1934 source. Later, post-Grog Log, he discovered the article's "source" was clearly the Duffy book.)
The controversy arises from the question of how Duffy could include, in his 1934 book, a recipe for a cocktail that was supposedly only first invented in 1934. How could this drink, from the just-opened Hollywood hole-in-the-wall Don's Beachcomber, have already attained a reputation sufficient that it would be included in a bartender's book by a very traditional east-coast pre-Prohibition cocktail expert? Something seems rather fishy, as several have noticed. Here are some of the relevant posts:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3892&forum=10&vpost=43943
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3892&forum=10&vpost=209767
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3892&forum=10&vpost=209833
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3892&forum=10&vpost=253845

In a recent TC Zombie thread, this same topic arose. It is also posed in the Webtender Wiki article on the Zombie. I believe I stumbled upon the answer,... or at least to the extent to show our assumptions were wrong. Duffy's book was reprinted many times, first in 1940, then 1948, and so on. I have the 1940 edition, and it includes the Zombie recipe. It lists copyright years of 1934 and 1940, each with a different publisher. Apparently, the new publisher acquired the rights from the original (I don't know if Duffy had any editorial involvement with this or later editions). I noticed the style of how the Zombie recipe is written up differs from the other recipes. Was it really ever in the 1934 book, or was it added in 1940? I finally found an online copy of the original 1934 edition, digitized by Google from a copy in the UC library. The 1940 edition appears to be printed with the same plates, same pagination. But look on page 209 - where 1940 has the Zombie recipe, 1934 has blank space! The Zombie recipe was NOT in Duffy's original 1934 version, after all. The Zombie was added in the empty space, beginning with the 1940 printing, and judging by the style, it was added by the publisher, not Duffy. So, the issue only arose, because everyone was reading later editions, but assuming they were exact reprints of the 1934 original. They almost were identical,... with the exception of this one recipe. "Duffy's 1934 Zombie" is a phantom,... created by an understandable but mistaken assumption.
page 209, 1934 and 1940 versions

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-22 13:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-23 06:59 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 3:13 pm   Permalink

That was a great discovery, Limbo! Good cocktail archaeology!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 3:32 pm   Permalink

Excellent research! I think you've put the topic to rest.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 5:19 pm   Permalink

Ah, thanks, gentlemen! I finally feel that I've justified my existence, by making a meaningful contribution to the world, which may some day be immortalized as a footnote in the scholarly study of the Zombie!

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-21 17:21 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation