FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Hurricane, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
The Hurricane, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-11 5:42 pm   Permalink

"In a South Sea island beach setting and to the accompaniment of guitars and tom-toms, Sol Bright, at center with headdress; Wanda, at right, and Benda, left, all in native costumes, execute the intriguing rain dance which precedes the famed storm scene at The Hurricane, 523 Pacific avenue."

- August 26, 1942.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-12 7:35 pm   Permalink

Where are the "Like" buttons? Classic pre-Tiki Polynesian pop!

I also dig the newspaper editor's framing directons...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-15 3:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-09 13:14, JacksGrandNephew wrote:
I am Jack DeMaria's grand nephew. It was always my impression that Jack and my father owned the Hurricane bar but that may have been temporary. It was in a building on Pacific Ave that was owned by our family and later became offices and the Little Fox theater where "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" and the "Fantastics" played for many years. My father had purchased doors and other ornamentals from the Fox Theater on Market St. when it was torn down.

Here's a shot of the Little Fox Theatre from August 16, 1964. The mural that is cut off at the top of the photo is the one that graced the building when it was The Barbary Coast nightclub:

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
clayfran
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-05-16 10:09 am   Permalink

1941 ad

View Profile of clayfran Send a personal message to clayfran      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JacksGrandNephew

Posted: 2016-05-30 09:36 am   Permalink

I found another mug from the Hurricane. This ceramic 7" tall mug has a hand written inscription in the glazed clay
"Lure of the Tropics"
The Hurricane
San Francisco"

View Profile of JacksGrandNephew Send a personal message to JacksGrandNephew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JacksGrandNephew

Posted: 2016-05-30 10:09 am   Permalink

Here are the Tall Mug photos

View Profile of JacksGrandNephew Send a personal message to JacksGrandNephew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JacksGrandNephew

Posted: 2016-05-30 10:14 am   Permalink

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to rotate these

JacksGrandNephew

Posted: 2016-05-30 10:17 am   Permalink

I am not sure but think the Hurricane's green sign can be seen below the "EM" in Settlement

HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-31 1:03 pm   Permalink

Yep, that blue-green sign right below the "EM" in "SettlEMent" is the sign for The Hurricane. This detail from the matchbook DC posted is actually the Hurricane's neon sign:

The layout is slightly reversed when approaching from the direction from the shot you posted.

I've actually been researching and writing about the International Settlement for a couple of years now (eventually I'll post some of that here) - so far, this is the best shot I've been able to find of The Hurricane's sign, at the bottom:

...which matches (heh) the matchbook image. So many pics during this era were taken from the ends of the street that it's extremely difficult to find good close-ups of the centre of the block.

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-21 09:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-02 18:55, Dustycajun wrote:
Name:The Hurricane
Type:restaurant
Street:533 Pacific Street
City:San Francisco
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This is another one of the Pre-Tiki bars that used the name "The Hurricane", presumably modeled after the popular South Seas movie of the same name staring Dorthy Lamour and Jon Hall. This one was owned by Burt Rovere.

I have this menu from the bar.

The lure of the Tropics indeed.

Some the the tropical drinks, some different names here.

The food choices, and the Rum of the house ... Ronrico.

Looks like Burt had a few other restaurants as well.

I grabbed images of this matchbook that shows the bamboo exterior. Anybody heard of the "International Settlement" before? The address changed from 533 Pacfic Street on the menu to 535 Pacific Avenue on the matchbook, hmmm.

Finally here is a napkin I tried for on ebay. They changed the look of the logo wahinee, going tropical and topless!

DC

New scanner and more napkins-this is another version of the one posted above:

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation