FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Mark Mywords' Walls of Voodoo (updated 6/2/14)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mark Mywords' Walls of Voodoo (updated 6/2/14)
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-19 11:56 pm   Permalink

Cap'n Sal has been busy crafting another addition to grace the shelves of the Walls of Voodoo.

Behold the WOV Zombie mug -

He's drying out waiting for first firing. His buddy (see previous post) is ready for glazing. Both should be quite interesting as we have never actually fired anything in the kiln we picked up years ago (always used the ceramics center kiln). We'll do some tests first and hopefully everything goes ok...

As for me... my efforts have been relegated to practicing with the router and dremel routers for the last several weeks. Cap'n Sal has been kind enough to draw up some larger designs for me to practice on. No pics yet. Working with the routers is quite harder than I thought. I had been a big admirer of Monkeyman's routing work before - now that I've had a go at it I'm even more in awe! It'll probably be at least a month more before I feel comfortable enough to start working on real pieces meant for installation.

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2012-03-19 23:59 ]

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-20 7:16 pm   Permalink

Sweet

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-09 12:13 pm   Permalink

I love the real birdie in your tiki room! Nice touch

Tiki Kitty

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-12 9:33 pm   Permalink

Wow, this frolic room has come together real nicely! I especially like all the individual touches, like the faux window, the shrunken head cabinet, and even the cheesy mini volcano. It reminds me about what I loved about the Tiki Ti when I first came upon it, and what is so great about Tiki style: The way it inspires folk to come up with their own interpretations and individual touches that add to the theme, and the playfulness of it all. It's all for adults that don't wanna stop playing, and it's infectious that way.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-12 10:08 pm   Permalink

MarkMyWords, I don't know how I missed your great build! Everything looks perfect! Sounds like you have boosted your construction IQ on this one, great problem solving and determination. How did the WOV Zombie Mug turn out?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-15 09:07 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and encouragement!

Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to work on the tiki room over the past couple of months. Hopefully that will change soon.

The two mugs are getting close to being finished. The zombie head is currently being biscuit fired. After that, it'll be glazed (should be easy - very simple paint scheme for that guy). The psycho-tiki has been glazed and ready to be glost-fired. I've been stalling on him for quite awhile. I just couldn't come up with a color scheme that I liked. I finally took inspiration from Disney's "Princess and the Frog"'s voodoo scenes. Lots of dark purple, acid green and red. Hopefully he'll look good when he comes out of the kiln. That firing will be the first in Cap'n Sal's home kiln. Wish us luck!

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-25 6:34 pm   Permalink

Hey all,
I've been meaning to do a quick update lately, but I've been waiting until I have some major additions. All the stuff I've done lately has been small. Well, I got help with something large today.

These fine pieces once hung at Sacramento's Coral Reef. My family teamed up to score these for me as probably the biggest surprise Christmas gift ever!

I'm still in awe and will be doing some research for more info on these. I'll be hanging at least one of these in the room this week. Stay tuned for better pix!

mahalo
-mark mywords

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2012-12-25 21:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2012-12-26 01:11 ]

Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-28 07:11 am   Permalink

Wow. What a great room. The hard work payed off. You have added so many nice details.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-20 8:35 pm   Permalink

So, after the shock and awe wore off after receiving a couple of large, vintage Witco pieces for xmas, I realized that hanging them was going to be anything but simple.

First, a little about the pieces themselves...

Luckily enough, it didn't take more than a quick trip through the pages of "Tiki Modern" to figure out what I had acquired: "Tahitian Lovers" (witco catalog w-26).

Here's one of the two getting ready for clean up and scuff fixing:

I had originally spotted these two pieces in craigslist back in November. The seller had purchased them as part of a storage locker that belonged to the owners of the Coral Reef Restaurant in Sacramento. At the time, I really wanted them, but with Christmas coming up, there was no way I could justify buying extravagant tiki items for myself. I told my wife about them and thought nothing else about it, other than noticing the next day that the ad was gone from craigslist.

Apparently, my wife had swept into action the very next morning after we had looked at the ad. She convinced her Mom and my Father to team up on the purchase price. Her Mom then jumped into her car (with my sister in-law, the other tiki-phile in the family)and drove from Sacramento to Richmond. Upon arrival, the seller started to balk a little, as they had received several other offers by phone for more than the advertised price. Luckily, they agreed to honor the original price. Originally the plan was to purchase one of the two pieces (the one in better condition). Upon hearing the heritage of the pieces, My sister in-law (bless her soul) insisted that the set should NOT be broken up and convinced her mom to purchase both. The deal was made and the witco was smuggled back to Davis and hidden until Christmas.

Anyhow, my original idea was to hang one of them on the wall at the bottom of the stairs and the other on the wall between two of the guitars. Immediately I realized I had a problem.

These things are SO DAMN BIG. We're talking 2 1/2' x 5'. If I put one on the wall at the bottom of the stairs, it would overhang the trip piece bordering the tiki room. So, no just hanging the thing up and calling it wonderful. Of course, if I'm going to have to pull down that trim, I might as well do that whole section of wall with bamboo backing and trim.

Expanding the tiki room outside of it's original boundaries. This is a brave new world...

The original line of demarcation for the walls of voodoo:

Proposed annex:

Of course with progress, comes sacrifice. A couple of evictions had to be served.

sorry guys.

I haven't done walls in a long time, so a quick inventory was required. Glad I didn't toss this stuff out like the missus urged me to.

Aha! There it is!

I spent most of a Saturday repairing the witco itself. They didn't need much. I decided the original D ring hangers were in good enough shape to re-use. One of the pieces was missing its hanging wire. Both needed touch up for minor scuffs.

BTW, here's the "Lesser" of the two pieces. It has some water damage and resulting warping of the backing board.
In low light, would not look bad -

Ugh... not pretty:

Sunday was spent hanging backing and cutting and charring trim pieces.

At last everything was ready for hanging:

View from our front door landing:

The whole thing was more work that I had intially anticipated, but it looks really nice. Of course, now the family is telling me that I can't stop at that one wall section. I have to do the entire downstairs common areas! We'll see...

Right now I know you're asking "So, where's the other witco piece hanging?". Unfortunately, It's not. To be honest, I really don't know what to do with it. After thinking about it, I'd really hate to break up the three guitars by replacing the middle one with the witco. So, where else could it go? The only space that I have even close to 2 1/2' is in the corner near one of the big tikis:

The space between the wall and the window trim is just under 30", meaning that if I was to hang the other "Tahitian Lovers" here, it would partially overlap the window trim. Plus, it's going to stick out from the wall a bit because the back is warped. Plus, part of it will be obscured by the large tiki in the corner. Plus, I'm sorta worried the whole thing will potentially collapse under it's own weight because of the damage to the backing board.

What to do, what to do? I'm sorely tempted to try to restore the piece by replacing the backing board. On the other hand, I've always understood that leaving something like this as original as possible (even damaged) is generally the best thing to do. Any Witco experts out there? What do you think?

So, for the time being, It will be stored for future unveiling.

Here are the other additions to the Walls of Voodoo that have been made over the past several months:

New mug shelf

New "Walls of Voodoo" mascot mug, custom by Cap'n Sal

Monkey head and old bottle:

Ship's lantern and shark jaws

This one's not strictly "Tiki", but I like its loungetastic-vibe and I'm currently populating it with smaller collectibles (tiki shot glasses, matchbooks, etc...)

Thanks to Cap'n Sal's efforts, our tiki-garden is growing:

That's it for right now. I'm planning on tackling trim next. Baseboards, stair railings, etc. Still trying to hone my router carving skills...

Mahalo!

-mark mywords

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2013-01-20 20:40 ]

markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-31 2:39 pm   Permalink

Well, it's been a hella long time since an update. So here we go...

Sadly, all good things must come to an end. It breaks my heart to report that the Walls of Voodoo will be closing it's doors immediately.

The good news is that we will be reopening for business in the very near future. Cap'n Sal, myself and the Sira Menehunes will be relocating to North-West Sacramento (the strange natives that live there call it "Woodland", personally I have a hard time pronouncing that word). The new digs have a room. The native gods have spoken to me and demanded that I construct a suitable environment in their honor. What choice have I than to obey. Depending of course on how much we clear on the sale of the Davis tiki-palace, of course...

So, join me now in remembering our humble Walls of Voodoo. Aloha, WOV!

Ian tries his hand at re-creating Lloyd's iconic profile picture

The wild, majestic Albino Bob!

Walls of Voodoo mascot "Unlei-ki-lei-ki" stops moving (sorta) long enough to wave his tail feathers goodbye

Aww, the emotion is too much...

the obligatory shaka from Colin

We always meant to get around to adding little notes to pin up throughout the Walls of Voodoo (ala Trader Sam's). The tag for this was going to be something like "When at the Bora-Bora Cafe, do not try the "Jungle Lobster""

That's it for right now. I will be documenting the tear down. Which starts today.

mahalo,
mmw

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-31 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-31 14:39, markmywords wrote:

Ian tries his hand at re-creating Lloyd's iconic profile picture

OMG is that a Manos the hands of faith T-shirt that young man is wearing from MST3K??? lol best show ever!
sorry to hear your closing shop, cant wait to see the new pics!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Pele Paul 2014-05-31 16:15 ]

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-31 4:56 pm   Permalink

Well Mark, glad I got to experience your lounge and looking forward to the new build when you move. At least you had all that practice!!! Maybe 2015 crawl can swing by your new digs?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-31 5:29 pm   Permalink

The Walls of Voodoo was an inspiration for me at the last crawl. It gave me some great ideas for my tiki haven. Good luck with the new digs and the new build.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-31 5:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-31 16:56, VampiressRN wrote:
Well Mark, glad I got to experience your lounge and looking forward to the new build when you move. At least you had all that practice!!! Maybe 2015 crawl can swing by your new digs?

Oh definitely! We will totally host a stop in 2015!

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-31 6:28 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a plan...looking forward to it.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation