FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » The Hukilau 2011 Official Thread & Announcement!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The Hukilau 2011 Official Thread & Announcement!
starburst
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-30 11:07 pm   Permalink

Rum aficionados embrace the Tiki spirit during the 10-year Anniversary of The Hukilau, June 9-12, 2011 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The rollicking rum ride will include experts bestowing their rum-soaked knowledge during Jeff “Beachbum” Berry’s Rumposium, featuring the Rum Rat Pack. Jeff “Beachbum” Berry is one of Imbibe magazine’s “25 Most Influential Cocktail Personalities of the Past Century” and author of five books featuring Tiki drinks and cuisine. His Rum Symposium, which is an exclusive for The Hukilau, will feature renowned rum luminaries as London’s Ian Burrell, San Francisco’s Martin Cate, Wayne Curtis, author of And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails and Stephen Remsberg, owner of the world’s largest private rum collection. The Bum and the Rat Pack will enlighten Tikiphiles with their wisdom during an explosive look at rum in history, on the high seas and in Tiki drinks. The Rumposium is Saturday, June 11 at 2:30 p.m. at the Mai-Kai Restaurant. Tickets are $35 and the symposium is limited to 200 attendees.

Bartending skills will be put to the test during The Hukilau’s Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge; a mix-off to create a signature version of the Mai-Kai’s beloved Barrel O' Rum and judged by the Rat Pack rum masters on Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 10 p.m. at the Bahia Cabana. Festival admission prices are $25-$135. For more information, visit
www.thehukilau.com.

[ This Message was edited by: starburst 2011-04-12 07:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: starburst 2011-04-14 20:06 ]

View Profile of starburst Send a personal message to starburst      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
starburst
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-04 11:13 pm   Permalink

Don't miss Paul Roe’s “Hawaii – Sailors, Sex and the Birth of Old School Tattoos” symposium on Saturday, June 11 at 11 a.m. at the Bahia Mar during this year's Hukilau! Admission is $12. Get your tickets before they're gone! http://artysavvyscribe.wordpress.com/

View Profile of starburst Send a personal message to starburst      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
starburst
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-12 07:40 am   Permalink

Experience mermaid madness during Vintage Roadside's “Beautiful Girls that Live like Fish!: The Story of Aquarama, the World-Famous Mermaid Attraction” symposium Saturday, June 11 at 12:30 p.m. at the Bahia Mar. The event also features Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! Admission is $20. Get your tickets before they're gone! http://artysavvyscribe.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/splash-back-in-time-with-aquarama-and-mermaids-of-yesteryear-at-the-hukilau-by-sandra-carr/

Read more about Vintage Roadside's symposium at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-Roadside/74721179288

starburst
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-12 2:59 pm   Permalink

Read about The Hukilau and Aquarama symposium on the Society of Commercial Archaeology and Old Florida blog sites (blog posts are by Rick Kilby). https://www.facebook.com/pages/Society-for-Commercial-Archeology/90676170822

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Florida/145618702158761

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 3:12 pm   Permalink

We've updated the Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge to focus on the classic Rum Barrel, and we're thrilled to have Jeff "Beachbum" Berry and the "Rum Rat Pack" on board as judges!

Can you build a better Barrel? Click below for all the latest info:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=39499&forum=4

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
starburst
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-20 07:30 am   Permalink

See original Aquarama mermaid costumes and vintage film footage of the Mai-Kai and Weeki Wachee during Vintage Roadside's “Beautiful Girls that Live like Fish!: The Story of Aquarama, the World-Famous Mermaid Attraction” symposium at The Hukilau! Get your tickets now! Read about The Hukilau in Shellbelle's Tiki Hut blog: http://www.shellbellestikihut.com/2011/04/has-anyone-seen-my-grass-skirt.html

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-26 6:24 pm   Permalink

Dick Dale and Laramie Dean will be doing a meet-and-greet at The Mai-Kai on Sunday, June 12, (exclusively for Hukilau attendees) before their Miami show. More details to come.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
starburst
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-27 06:21 am   Permalink

Learn about Aquarama and their mermaids during Vintage Roadside's symposium, Saturday June 11 at 12:30 p.m. at the Bahia Mar! See vintage mermaid costumes, Mai-Kai film footage and Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! Admission is $20. Get your tickets now! Read about The Hukilau and Aquarama in Neato Coolville's blog:

http://neatocoolville.blogspot.com/2011/04/hukilau-is-neato-tiki-cool.html

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-27 11:39 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Really swell stuff will be shown during my talk and atendees will HEAR the voice of one of the most important people of the Tiki Age in Hawaii. I promise you will not want to miss this...

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-29 2:18 pm   Permalink

Well, its 10 years, and is time, we just signed up and will be attending the whole event! I spent many a summer and holiday in Miami in the 60/70's so this will be fun!

Amy

[ This Message was edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-04-29 14:18 ]

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-01 11:36 pm   Permalink

When I first heard about Phillip Roberts' "A Celebration of the Tiki Age in Hawaii" seminar at Hukilau, that was the deal clincher for me to book airfare from LA.

I'm very disappointed to hear it has been canceled.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 8:36 pm   Permalink

John-O,

We were all really looking forward to Phillip Roberts Symposium as well, and we apologize for the need to cancel this..
I'm sorry to say this, but what it all boiled down to was ticket sales for his symposium. It had only sold a handful of tickets.

We don't really understand why... It might be the economy... or it might be some other reason...
We thought that this would have been one of our most attended symposiums...

Unfortunately we had to look at the bottom line, and there was absolutely no way that we could have come close to breaking even with the amount of tickets that had been sold to this symposium so we had to make this decision.

I would like to say that we admire Phillip's work, and encourage everyone to pick up a copy of his book. This was not a decision that we took lightly, and we would like to apologize to Phillip (as I have already done via email), and everyone that was planning to attend his symposium.

If you did purchase a ticket for this symposium your money will be refunded as we have already emailed those that have purchased.

Sincerely - Christie J. White
Producer - The Hukilau

The Hukilau

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2011-05-02 20:39 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 9:43 pm   Permalink

John-O....your trip will not be in vain.2 words....Mai Kai.

2 More words Tikiyaki and Marina (and lots of fire!)

It's indeed a bummer about the symposium, but this economy is kicking everyone's ass. I was looking forward to hangin' out with Phil myself.

Phil, if you can make it to LA, perhaps we can set something up for you there,maybe with Tikiyaki, if you're up for it. Would be pretty cool, I think.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-03 3:01 pm   Permalink

Oh, no!

It is, sadly, true. This is a lousy economy and even those who can "splurge" Hukilau-wise are probably being more "strict" with their pennies than they would have been in happier times. Still, the Hukilau is WELL worth attending even if the only thing was a bunch of Tikiphiles from around the world loitering at the Mai-Kai.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-03 9:30 pm   Permalink

I was definitely planning on buying a ticket or two for this seminar, as well, but I was waiting until I was certain I was going to be able to make it to the Hukilau. In my line of work, it's all last-minute (or close to it). Sorry this won't be happening, but I sure hope I get to see everyone. Fingers crossed.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation