FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-29 11:52 am   Permalink

"MDM, you're laughing at the Fu Man Chu so i'm not sure what you mean by that..."

It's all good! I thought he was really cool and he made me smile

Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 03:20 am   Permalink

Well it's been a while since i last posted because my classes only resumed this week after a break for school holidays and the ceramics room had some renovating done to it so nothing had been fired. I was only able to pick up the following mugs the other day which i had glazed before the break.

This mug is going to a friend who asked for red and black. As i didn't want to use a lead based glaze on this one, the only real red to choose from was this colour. I think it came out pretty good.

Brick red outside, black on the inside.

This following mug is also for a friend whos favourite colour is green. This is the second attempt at a mug for them as, if you've been following my thread, you'll know that all the green mugs i've made so far have cracked. This time i decided to use the same brand of glaze to hopefully avoid that problem and thankfully it worked. I'm actually really happy with the way this one came out.

Apple green on the outside, avocado on the inside.

And finally a mug that was my first attempt at dip glazing. An absolutely beautiful colour with a crackle effect but, surprise, surprise, it cracked. Again it was a different brand than what i used on the inside so there was obviously a tension issue. It is quite noticable that the dipped glaze is quite thin compared to the inside. I might try dipping another mug with this colour but i'll do the inside also. I'll just have to glaze it with a clear over the top if i want to drink out of it.

Italian blue outside, and oyster speckle white inside.

I have four mugs glazed at school ready to be fired. Hopefully they'll be ready next week. Two of those have been glazed on the inside with a dip glaze i mixed myself. It is from the same supplier as the brush-on glaze i've used on the outside, so fingers crossed they come out in one piece.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-31 09:49 am   Permalink

Hi Swizzle, I've been mixing brands on top of each other and I"ll do Duncan on the inside and Mayco on the outside. As long as they are both 06 glazes I don't think that would be a problem that would cause a crack.

A tiny air bubble can crack a mug. When I am pouring my slip into the mold I am hitting the outside of the mold with a rubber mallet to move air to the top and out. I've never had anything crack.

I do always fire at a slow ramp which may not be available to you in class. I also always hold for 15 minutes at the end of bisque fire to make sure the object gets to shrink its maximum amount.

Your mugs are terrific so I hope you can solve this problem. (: Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 7:45 pm   Permalink

Hey Swizzle, It's really cool to see you sticking with it! Clay is addicting!!

One reason that cracks like that can occur is if you pool too much of the glaze on the bottom inside of the mug. The shallower thickness of the glaze on the inside side walls transitioning to the thicker glaze on the bottom inside can cause tension as you mention as the glaze is curing after the firing is complete, resulting in a sharp crack like the one shown. Just try holding that mug upside down a little longer when your pouring out the glaze. Make sure that when you set the mug back down on the table, glaze isn't running down the side walls and pooling. Hope that helps some...even if for some reason, the above mentioned, isn't the problem here with your mug, it's still a good thing to know.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-01 10:53 pm   Permalink

The green apple mug turned out great - love the color! (Have you decided on a color for the edition?)

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-02 12:03 am   Permalink

Nice one's Swizzle, I like the colors, that green is nice sorry about the crack man..
Babalu, so right.. It seems that I get a crack when the glaze on the bottom of the mug was possibly to thick.. I'm trying now to make sure to drain the excess slip as much as possible now, hopefully that's going to help my crack problem..
Any box yet??:)
Aloha

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 01:09 am   Permalink

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Wendy, those brands are not ones that i'm familiar with. I'm not sure they are available here. Also, what do you mean by 06 glazes? Does that have something to do with cones?

Babalu, thank you for giving me some of your expertise. That information you have given me i will definitely make sure i'm aware of and try to avoid doing it on other mugs, but for some reason i think it has to do with the different brands.
So far i have glazed and fired 15 mugs. On all of those mugs i have poured the inside with a brush-on glaze and drained the excess out. Three mugs have used a particular brand (Clayworks) on the inside which has been the same brand used on the outside of two, and every other mug has used the brand available to me at school (Cesco) on both the inside and outside. A couple of mugs have been a combination of those two. (Beachbumz, the outside of your mug was those two brands mixed together). Of the four mugs that have cracked all used Cesco on the inside but the glaze on the outside has been a different brand all together again. I think i'm going to stick to the same brand/supplier for the moment and hope i don't have any more problems.

Beachbumz, if you have had that problem too i am certainly going to address that issue.

And Eric, thanks. I really like the Apple Green myself and have decided i'll be doing version 2.0 in that colour. I haven't decided on the inside colour yet though.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-02 10:43 am   Permalink

Hi Swizzle, yes 06 is the cone required to fire the glazes I use. All my glazes are for 06. I learned something from this thread. I've always left my mugs etc. upside down to drain for a long time so maybe that's why I've not had cracks. May you never have another one! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-06 11:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy, i hope i dont have any more cracked mugs either. It's quite annoying.

Fortunately the following mugs didn't crack. This first mug i've sold to the guy who will be doing the resin castings of the skull and the moai gear stick shifter i made which you can see on page 4. He wanted a dark purple with black on the inside. The glazing is a little patchy but the colour is nice. My local ceramic supplier doesn't have a brush on purple so i just bought a blue and red and mixed them together. I might add a touch of white to it next time. The black on the inside is also a little uneven up near the top. This mug was the first mug i poured glaze into which i mixed myself. I bought a clear glaze powder to which i added a black stain and water. As it is thinner than the brush on glazes it poured out a lot faster and it didn't cover as evenly. It taught me something new for the next mug i glaze.

These next two mugs will be gifts to the owners of our only Tiki bar here in Melbourne. Her favourite colour is purple and his is green, so i figured that i would glaze the inside of her mug green and his purple. I also thought it appropriate that she gets the smaller mug as she is a petite little thing herself. Same purple as above and lime green. I really liked the apple green mug i made a couple of weeks ago, but this lime is much nicer.

I do have another mug to post pics of but that will have to wait until it arrives at its new owners. I don't want to spoil the surprise.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-07 8:07 pm   Permalink

Swizz, you have made me appreciate the abundance and availability of glaze products we have here in the US. My nearest ceramic store is 120 miles away but I make it over there occasionally and they have a wide variety of Duncan glazes. If I need something they don't carry or I don't feel like making the drive I can order it on the internet and have it in less than a week.

Keep at it Swizzle! Ceramics has so many variables as it is, adding unpredictable glazes doesn't help any!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-14 01:52 am   Permalink

G'day everyone, it's been a while since i've posted.

I've only glazed a few mugs in the time that i last posted and since then i've found a new glaze supplier with some awesome colours so i'm looking forward to see how they look/work on the half dozen or so mugs i have bisqued ready to experiment on.

This first mug i glazed a while ago but didn't post the pics for a reason. I was waiting for
Kahuna Kevin to finish his book, and now that he has, go and support him by buying one, or preferably, both of his great cocktail books and check out my mug and the drink, made and named after me ("rat" is my intitals).

Lime green and black as requested by Kevin.

Here it is in the book with drink and garnish.

Next is a mug for a friend whose result i really wasn't happy with so i'm going to make it for him again. This was the first mug i tried to dip glaze. I bought some glaze powder and colour to which i added water and although the colours worked out OK, the outside has a couple of blemishes which might be hard to see with the reflections. The inside however, which i mixed myself the same way as the black, has some strange spotting which i was told happened due to dust on the surface which prevented the glaze from sticking. (I will now be blowing the crap out of all mugs before glazing with the airgun at work). Dip glazing is a technique that will work well to get an even coverage, but after doing it once it has taught me a lot on how to get a better finish. Until i work it out, that's a secret.

Black and peacock green.

This next mug is a glazed in a colour i mixed myself. Another dip glazed mug, i'm extremely happy with the finish, however......it's now only good for display . There is a long story as to why this mug is broken which i won't go into. Let's just say it's an animals fault.

Equal mix of red and blue (my local supplier do not have a purple).

OK, this is where i'm at at the moment. I have made a run of 3 woodgrain mugs with the same colours. Although each mug has one, maybe two, blemishes (on the inside), i'm very happy with how they turned out. I'm going to reglaze and refire, ONE mug to see how it turns out, and if it's OK i'll do the other two. These mugs are for sale. Please PM me if you are interested. Just a warning, postage from Australia to the U.S. is $30aus. Plus the cost of the mug.

Rockingham brown with peacock green interior.
The interior.

Mug 1.

Mug 2.

Mug 3.

That's it for the meantime. I really hope the new glazes i have work out and look good. As it's Christmas, everyone is having a break so it will be a little while until i see the results of my new test glazes. I hope everyone has their fingers crossed for me.

Have a good holiday season, here from down under.
Robbie

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-14 08:56 am   Permalink

Christmas in the summertime? Hmm... seems odd!

The peacock and woodgrain is a very nice combo. A lot of times you can brush a couple more coats more glaze over those glaze skips and refire and it will be fine. I have have pieces where I did that more than once and eventually got complete coverage.

Have fun with your new glazes Swizz

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-14 10:55 am   Permalink

Hi Swizzle, I just finished scrubbing and cleaning my glaze skips which were most likely caused by invisible dust specks. Then I did three layers of glaze and tonight I'll fire again. MDM's right it works but sometimes takes several times. It's a bummer but in the end the art is saved.

You come up with some really beautiful glazes. I like your purple.

I'm sending you a long overdue PM. Wendy

Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-14 2:39 pm   Permalink

Bitchin' mugs Robbie! Thanks again for making a custom 1-off for me. So when do you start mass producing them and where can we buy them?

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-20 10:42 pm   Permalink

Nice work mate, some great colour combos

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation