FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving NIxxon Addicted...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
NIxxon Addicted...
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-13 03:59 am   Permalink

Yup,
the down side of carving too deep.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-13 07:58 am   Permalink

When I suggest "carving deeper" perhaps I wasn't as specific as I should have been. This is intended as constructive criticism - I hope you take it that way.

When most people start carving tikis, they scripe lines into a log that convey the image of a goofy smiling face (FL carvers especially - since thats the image we see most in touristy spots). Its quick and easy for people that are just getting into carving (you're past that point). I am just as guilty as anyone of embracing the "the big goofy smile", however there are other styles and representations of tikis beyond the basic. Many of them can not be created with chainsaws and angle grinders. The shape of the log should not dictate the shape of what you are carving. Conveying the shape and posture of a human(ish) body takes some thought (not just the body but the face) and practice. Look at anyone's profile it is not round and cylindical. Eyes are set in, noses stick out, mouths can dictate expression, the chest can dictate body posture, and position of the legs are the base. My suggestion to "carve deeper" was meant to get you to explore the shapes and relationships of a more "realistic" figure. Also, do a search for authentic oceanic figures and idols. Try emulating some of the more simple figures, like a Tangaroa, a Moai, or even a Marquesan. They may have simple designs, but their relationships to proportion and symmetry can be a challenge. Take your time! Put down the chainsaw and pick up some chisels - accidents happen to fast when you use a chainsaw. Practice digging all the way through a log with the chisels - wood goes all the way through to the other side, but is softer on the inside than the outside. Palm is strong and can take a lot of stress - the only way to find out how much is to test it. I have several pieces laying around that I did experiments on. Mistakes are essential to the the learning process.

Good luck - keep carving deeper!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-14 10:00 am   Permalink

I definitely take it as constructive criticism. I have learned so much from all of you guys here in the short time I have been carving. I absolutely would not be anywhere near the level I am right now if it weren't for this site and the incredibly knowledgeable and helpful members that provide all the helpful hints and motivational comments. Having said that, I definitely want to try my hand at some of the classic designs that you have mentioned. I just want to be able to do a good job when I am ready for those pieces

Thanks again EVERYBODY for the ongoing support and motivation to continue this wonderful art form!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-14 12:57 pm   Permalink

Hey man, sorry I didn't get over there & hang out this last swell. Just blew most of my cash going bakc and forth to Anna Maria Island & needed to lay low. And my new truck is one thirsty bitch! Yikes!

Anyway, I'll get over there soon and we'll surf a morning sesh and jam some stuff out in your back yard all afternoon & have a few cold ones.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-14 2:55 pm   Permalink

No worries brother...sounds good. Just hit me up whenever. I'm sure we'll get a few more swells out of the season...

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-19 11:28 am   Permalink

no tiki pic posted in over a month?

get yer head back in the game kid!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-20 1:14 pm   Permalink

LOL I know it! Ive been slacking big time...I plan on doing some carving over the next two days so Ill have some pics up soon

NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-03 07:30 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: nixxon 2011-11-03 11:54 ]

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-03 09:27 am   Permalink

Weak.........................Sauce!

I had a colonoscopy today and I'm back here .....carving.

I'm well rested too!

I'll truly Post pics up later. On a dif thread!

Mahalo!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-05 3:39 pm   Permalink

^^^ lol at the colonoscopy! hope they were gentle with ya

I figured it was time to post some pics...I wanted to wait until I was finished with this one to post pics but I'm bored and I'm pretty excited about how its turning out. I took your advice Aloha Station. I put down the power tools, picked up the chisels and carved deeper...

Let me know what ya think!

Thanks for looking!

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-05 7:55 pm   Permalink

yeah man....you're on.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 06:43 am   Permalink

Yeah man - thats a great start. Further suggestions include: Cutting through the mouth, make the waist thinner, and spread the knees. Keep us updated.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-14 2:02 pm   Permalink

Well I did some more work on this guy today. Getting the legs to look the way I want is proving extremely difficult, but I'm optimistic. I also want to knock the entire mouth out but unsure if the little wood that would be left is going to support it...

[ This Message was edited by: NIxxon 2011-11-14 14:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nixxon 2011-11-14 15:05 ]

NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-14 5:04 pm   Permalink

and a shot in the early evening sun...

amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-15 08:37 am   Permalink

You've got a lot of mallet strokes invested in that. It shows so keep it up.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation