FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Westside Nautical Bar Crawl - 4/30/2011 (Photos start Pg 5)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Westside Nautical Bar Crawl - 4/30/2011 (Photos start Pg 5)
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 08:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-07 16:25, Capt. R.H. Falernum wrote:

Fantastic. I'm in.

Capt. Falernum !! How appropriate. Will Miss Misha be boarding as well ??

I certainly hope so since this is looking to be a very "manly" voyage. BUT that might be appropriate for a Nautical tour...

Ha, ha.

For those who have PM'd me, I'll send out emails in a few weeks.

I hope to shanghai more crew members next weekend in the desert.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-04-10 15:56 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 1:07 pm   Permalink

I've got a group of Desert Castaways ready to sail of the day. Should we bring our eye patches and hats?

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 10:44 am   Permalink

In honor of John-O's Westside Nautical tour, a tribute to the granddaddy of all Westside Nautical establishments, the late great Ship Cafe on the Venice pier (1905-1947; though burned and rebuilt circa 1924, and burned again in 1947):

Caltiki Brent

[ This Message was edited by: congawa 2011-04-11 10:47 ]

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 10:58 am   Permalink

Wow, wonderful! Never knew about this place! What a nice collection of ephemera.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 11:03 am   Permalink

The Ship Cafe burned down again ??

CRAP !! Now I have to take it off the crawl itinerary. I'll swap it out for this great place...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 10:47 am   Permalink

As much as I love the Tonga Hut, I too would have loved to experience that previous incarnation.

I wish there were more interior shots of the Ship Cafe in its various versions. Fires on the Venice pier (and Ocean Park) were commonplace in those days, usually wiping out a great deal of the pier, buildings and amusement rides (when you think about all the pre-OSHA electrical cables and transformers in an almost all wooden structure, its no surprise). There was one in 1912 that burned everything, which was rebuilt. Then another in 1924. In 1946 the pier (including Ship Cafe) were being dismantled, and there was a mysterious fire in 1947 that finished it all off (usually these fires are caused by one of two things--transients, or insurance arson).

I'll try to scan and post some shots from the 1936 Laurel and Hardy film OUR RELATIONS. In that movie, they go to a restaurant obviously inspired by the Ship Cafe (though all created in the movie studio), but it's a lot more like what it SHOULD have looked like inside (with a high ceiling, rope riggings, masts, and waiters dressed as pirates).

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 10:56 am   Permalink

For Ship Cafe "completists," here's the only time I've seen the real Ship Cafe in a movie--and it's only the hull for a few split seconds in the background, behind a rollercoaster on Venice pier in this 1935 Keystone Cops tribute KEYSTONE HOTEL.

Forward this YouTube video to 7:10, and through the murky print in the background left you can see part of the Ship Cafe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3CJdGNSCEA

Caltiki Brent

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-13 10:47, congawa wrote:

As much as I love the Tonga Hut, I too would have loved to experience that previous incarnation...

Tonga "Room". Sometimes Tiki is not always better. Ha, ha.

Thanks for the historical background Brent. I'm going to see if Jeffrey Stanton references the Ship Cafe in his encyclopedic book "Venice California, Coney Island of the Pacific".

congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-13 11:13, JOHN-O wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-04-13 10:47, congawa wrote:

As much as I love the Tonga Hut, I too would have loved to experience that previous incarnation...

Tonga "Room". Sometimes Tiki is not always better. Ha, ha.

Thanks for the historical background Brent. I'm going to see if Jeffrey Stanton references the Ship Cafe in his encyclopedic book "Venice California, Coney Island of the Pacific".

Oops, my faux paux--Room of course! The Hut's doing just fine, and never was a swimming pool!

Several of the images were linked from Jeffrey Stanton's website. I wish I had his book.

http://www.westland.net/venicehistory/mapsdocs/kp-map16.htm

Caltiki Brent

Capt. R.H. Falernum
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 4:38 pm   Permalink

It looks like Miss Misha will be sailing with us for this event.

Getting excited about the destinations we have in store.... and, oh, how I wish the Ship Cafe could be one of them.

View Profile of Capt. R.H. Falernum Send a personal message to Capt. R.H. Falernum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 8:22 pm   Permalink

It is, if only in our dreams....

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-14 08:09 am   Permalink

Well at least we still have this "Ships"...

Huh? What? NOOOOO!!

Stupid LA !!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-14 08:12 am   Permalink

BUT not all is lost...

As we'll see on April 30th.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-04-14 08:56 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-18 07:48 am   Permalink

Please RSVP your interest this week.

The headcount stands at 20 and the ship can only safely accommodate 25-30 people. The gangplank will be brought in soon.

I'll send out the voyage logistics via email in a few days.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-20 10:44 pm   Permalink

comin soon,
can't wait.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation