FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Westside Nautical Bar Crawl - 4/30/2011 (Photos start Pg 5)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Westside Nautical Bar Crawl - 4/30/2011 (Photos start Pg 5)
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 08:47 am   Permalink

Hmm... We just might have to pay a visit to Pieces of Eight, um I mean Shanghai Red's next weekend.

Thanks DustyCajun !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 09:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-21 08:47, JOHN-O wrote:
Hmm... We just might have to pay a visit to Pieces of Eight, um I mean Shanghai Red's next weekend.

Thanks DustyCajun !!

We should bring along BigBro's Sounds of Tiki, and have them blast some Paul Page cuts while we're there.

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-21 08:47, JOHN-O wrote:

Thanks DustyCajun !!

John-O,

Your welcome. Also don't forget to stop by the old Don The Beachcomber UFO building on the way over to The Warehouse.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21785&forum=2&hilite=beachcomber marina

Think about what a one-night crawl you could have done in Marina Del Rey back in the day when Don the Beachcomber, Pieces of Eight and The Warehouse were all open!!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 4:41 pm   Permalink

Aaah yessss - THOSE were the hunting grounds of the MARINA SWINGER...

...immortalized in my favorite New Wave hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGwb787Mxko

...during the heyday of the yacht club set that populated "bad film" classics such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH-fwS-WhsA

(of which the above soundtrack will be on my next Tiki CD)

...when beachcombers combed the beach for other things than driftwood and fishnet floats:

John-O, since I am assuming that I will be too exhausted to attend from several days of Tiki Ti-ing (and previous weeks of Tiki revelry), please bring me back one or two of those napkins from the Galley:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 4:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-21 15:26, Dustycajun wrote:

...Think about what a one-night crawl you could have done in Marina Del Rey back in the day when Don the Beachcomber, Pieces of Eight and The Warehouse were all open!!

And we could have gone from place to place in a boat !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 5:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-21 16:41, bigbrotiki wrote:

John-O, since I am assuming that I will be too exhausted to attend from several days of Tiki Ti-ing (and previous weeks of Tiki revelry), please bring me back one or two of those napkins from the Galley:

I can do that. I'll get you some clean ones too.

Not like the vintage cocktail napkins you see on eBay with vintage stains. Gross !!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 5:33 pm   Permalink

Yup, Pieces of Eight and manly man Paul Page are gone but we still have great places like Chez Jay to enjoy.

It was started by another mid-century man's man (and world adventurer), Jay Fiondella.

Here's a poem written to the place by poet W.E. Hogue...

It was next to the Santa Monica Rand think tank.
Brilliant minds who plotted against the communists, to be frank.

It also attracted many Hollywood stars
Who made it one of their favorite bars.

I once got drunk there with actor Lee Marvin
And a comely woman named Carmen.

Also took there Howard Hughes' last love, the lovely Yvonne.
A beautiful creature from some heavenly salon.

I was introduced to the place by David Sheehan of Hollywood Close-Ups fame.
Whose column in The Outlook was one of the reasons everyone came.

Like Santa Monica college friend Doug McClure,
Co-star of the Virginian. A handsome dud that's for sure.

Jay's had a nautical motif.
A diver's helmet with a skill for comic relief.

Peanuts on the tables, peanut shells on the floor.
Thrown there by beer drinkers hoping to score.

Oh, the celebrities: Paris' grandpa, Barren Hilton,
Henry Kissinger, his spectacles tiltin',

Warren Beatty practicing his Shampoo role
In the secret room the other side of the toilet bowl.

Astronaut, Alan Shepard hung out there.
Ate the peanuts with abandoned care.

When he made the golf shot on the moon,
In his pocket was a peanut from Jay's, resting as in a cocoon.

There are many famous restauranteurs from this time.
Toots Shore's with Jackie Gleason standing in line.

Lou Walters' the Latin Quarter,
Barbara's dad's place this side of the border.

Famous restaurants such as the Brown Derby, Romanoff's and Ciros
Many more who are number one in front of many zeros.

Jay Fiondella and Chez Jay's is up there, too.
But he had one thing the others didn't. Here's a clue

That makes real star gazers want to swoon.
Chez Jay's had Astro-Nut, the peanut that went to the moon.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 5:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks!

Quote:

On 2011-04-21 16:59, JOHN-O wrote:

The boat to do that in style would have been the Wild Goose, John Wayne's yacht...

...which was purportedly steered by a young Burt Hixson for Wayne's stag party cruises!

Those Marina swingers, I tell ya!

The Duke even had his own mugs made for the boat:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 10:21 pm   Permalink

Dangit. Can't make this. Originally had scheduled construction of Pistol Vic's Saloon for a few weeks earlier but had to resched for that weekend of the "Nautical Tour". But hey I'll be a listenin' and looking forward to the next. This is just the start. Have fun and keep me informed.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 10:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-21 17:55, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thanks!

Quote:

On 2011-04-21 16:59, JOHN-O wrote:

The boat to do that in style would have been the Wild Goose, John Wayne's yacht...

Well, I guess it's about as good a time and place as any to tell my Wild Goose story. It was circa 1968-69, my mom (the one who first exposed me to the original tiki restaurants and exotica music as a kid--though I typically had no interest then) was a reporter/photographer for a south Orange County paper, and there was some kind of a press junket (related to the building of Dana Point Harbor, which was about to begin) in which the Wild Goose anchored in Dana Point, and then took the press throngs north to its berth in Newport Harbor. My mother brought my brother and I along for the ride. John Wayne wasn't aboard, but when we entered Newport Harbor and passed by his house, there he was along with wife Pilar and their kids, waving at all of us aboard their boat. My mother later went on another Wild Goose junket--that time "the Duke" was aboard, and she got her picture taken with him (she later wrote a history on Dana Point called Home Point for Romance, and the picture is in her book). I remember the captain was a guy named Stark (can't remember his first name), who my mother knew, and in the mid-70's he was lost at sea somewhere off Cape Horn.

I remember all the teak interior, and running around the decks with my brother. I'm sure the members of the fourth estate partook in many fine cocktails inside the boat during the trip. Lon Chaney Jr. (who lived in Capistrano Beach) also had a yacht from a converted Navy ship called the "Simile(?)", and we went aboard that once in the harbor, though it stayed anchored. I actually once started to write a country song about the Wild Goose, in a Johnny Horton story-song vein. I may have the inspiration to finish it now, and maybe turn it into a Ding Dong Devils song.

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 11:52 am   Permalink

One of my parents favorite stories:

When I was three years old (1966) I was with my parents somewhere in Newport Beach and I went missing. My parents freaked out of course running around calling my name and looking everywhere...couldn't find me. Just as they were about to phone the police I was seen walking towards them, hand in hand with a gentleman who had found me near his boat - John Wayne. True Story!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 12:04 pm   Permalink

Almost forgot to mention Jay's true story regarding his boat - his restoration project.

You can read the newspaper article at Chez Jay framed and hanging on a wall near the restrooms in back.

Long story short - Jay spent countless hours restoring a boat in his backyard, a massive project. I believe he planned to sail around the world in it. After the restoration was finished Jay hired a moving company to put the boat on a massive trailer and take it down to the marina. On the slow trip down to the marina the moving company was going around a corner at a busy intersection - and the damn boat fell off the trailer and crashed in the middle of the intersection totally destroying it!! In the middle of the afternoon during peak traffic no less...

I had the pleasure of meeting Jay and his daughter a few times. I attended the "Remember Dennis Wilson" party held at Chez Jay about ten years ago with members of the Wison family and close Beach Boy friends. I always had a great time at Chez Jay. I have not been back for several years though since Jay passed (RIP)

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 12:12 pm   Permalink

Great stories, guys: Pop culture history to touch, that's one of the many things that is great about Southern California!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 08:04 am   Permalink

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 4:38 pm   Permalink

can we get a roll call of who is going?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation